Icy Strait Point (Hoonah)

disneylover89

Does anyone know why are there no excursions listed in the  Alaska section for Icy Strait Point (Hoonah)?  Also, I know  there is an Endicott Arm & Glacier Explorer excursion because I have seen pictures but this excursion is not listed either.  Does anyone know why?  I am looking at the NCL site not logged in

Edited by disneylover89

Your too early.  At the earliest you’re not going until May.  Check back at the beginning of next year.   

If you are on the Jewel. With the one way sailing-  they did not offer the add on glacier tour the last 2 seasons.   

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, hawk1972 said:

I believe it's because ISP is a native-owned area so the excursions there are operated by the Huna Totem Corp., including the huge zip line. You can go into town and find whale watching, etc.

Not sure what you suggest.  But it’s not very successful trying to find walk up whale watching in town.   

3 hours ago, disneylover89 said:

Does anyone know why are there no excursions listed in the  Alaska section for Icy Strait Point (Hoonah)?  Also, I know  there is an Endicott Arm & Glacier Explorer excursion because I have seen pictures but this excursion is not listed either.  Does anyone know why?  I am looking at the NCL site not logged in

Wrt Icy Strait, NCL does not run any tours in any port. They contract with local tour providers. The negotiations for next season’s tours with the local providers has not been completed yet. As they are negotiated, they will be added to the ShoreEx list. 

wrt to the Glacier Explorer, it is only offered to ships going glacier watching in Endicott Arm (I.e. itineraries that do not go to Glacier Bay and have a short morning stop in Juneau followed by glacier watching). If your cruise matches that description, then it is down to negotiating contracts for next season. 

• Like 1

Just now, Budget Queen said:

Not sure what you suggest.  But it’s not very successful trying to find walk up whale watching in town.   

Sorry. I wasn't clear. We went whale watching with Glacier Wind but it was booked in advance. I just meant that there are excursions available besides what ISP offers. 

• Like 1

We're on the Sun for a great itinerary May 21, 2020.  There are 115 NCL shore excursions to date for our sailing but nothing for either Icy Strait Point or Endicott Arm & Dawes Glacier day. 

Several people on our roll call have already booked with Glacier Wind Charters in Icy Strait Point and some of their time slots are already fully booked.  Since we're doing a small boat experience in Sitka I think we're going to pass.  Have to pay our real estate taxes this month so will check next month and see if any time slots are still open.  We loved Icy Strait Point and saw whales from the ship and from the shoreline .... really fun to see them so close to land.  People were literally jumping up and down on the rocky beach from excitement.  We spent a week at Depoe Bay, Oregon towards the end of March for over 20 years and saw whales every trip but still enjoy seeing them and up close is much better.

We're treating Endicott Arm & Dawes Glacier day just like we do Glacier Bay day .... a wonderful day for wandering the ship and enjoying the amazing views.

• Like 2

Port calls at Icy Strait Point used to be by tender -

Now there is a Pier built with Golf Cart Handicap facilities.

Next year another Pier will be added (in the map LINK

it will be to right of the existing Pier) :

https://www.google.com/maps/@58.1331826,-135.4595419,1027m/data=!3m1!1e3

Zoom the map out for viewing Hoonah.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Port calls at Icy Strait Point used to be by tender -

Now there is a Pier built with Golf Cart Handicap facilities.

Next year another Pier will be added (in the map LINK

it will be to right of the existing Pier) :

https://www.google.com/maps/@58.1331826,-135.4595419,1027m/data=!3m1!1e3

Zoom the map out for viewing Hoonah.

Except when both the Joy and the Jewel are in town the same day.  Guess which ship gets to tender?

41 minutes ago, Love my butler said:

Except when both the Joy and the Jewel are in town the same day.  Guess which ship gets to tender?

Was on the JEWEL the last Seward-Vancouver sailing of the year and what I saw if the JOY BLISS ENCORE

don't hog the existing pier there would be room for a smaller ship (JEWEL) to use the new pier under construction.

Otherwise as you have noted "guess which ship tenders" I have done that before.

As for tendering an inconvenience only perhaps putting a crimp in shore excursion timing

BUT really after tending back to your ship what is the rush to putt putt all night to arrive at the next port early.

Frankly I would rather port call at Sitka rather than Icy and that is another tender port.

If big ships are to have an impact on Alaska tourism - time to build more piers.

As is Juneau Skagway Ketchikan and Icy are maxed out on pier space.

Try Icy Strait Lodge.  They offer fishing, off road, whale watching (maybe orcas) and looking for bears.  Small outfit that caters to small groups.  Personalize.  Best time for bears is in August.  

Hoonah is my favorite port.  Not commercialize and one of the only villages cruise ships stop at.  The real Alaska.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, disneylover89 said:

Why?  I remember pictures of whales and a bear in your Joy review

Are you saying that this person got pictures of a bear and whales and then says there is nothing there.  What a complainer.  I bet any cruiser would welcome those pictures if they had taken them.  But not this person☹️

17 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

We were very disappointed with the whale watching and the wild life shore excursions in August. Icy Strait is not a port of call that we would repeat. 

I did the whale and wildlife excursion offered by NCL in September and thought it was exactly as described and just what I wanted.  Guides were excellent (a little disconcerting when you have an armed guard with you for the bear watching!).  Our group watched/followed a number of bears in the forest and watched them in the river catching fish - there is an observation platform.  But it was September, not August, so probably more salmon and more bears getting ready for winter.  For the whale watch portion, lots of humpbacks.  The other excursion that day (in reverse) saw orcas but no humpbacks.  Partial refund offered if no whales spotted.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

Icy Straight has a RESIDENT humpback, Freddie, who we saw in May as we were walking on the path from where the ship was berthed to the town of Hoonah!

Edited by lambs2
  • Like 1

We took a tour in Icy Strait, then had some time before getting back on the ship.  

We enjoyed the best fried halibut basket at a restaurant right beside the tender pier(2015).  Restaurant had outdoor seating with torchiers beside the booths for warmth. Will never forget eating lunch there, watched a huge raven grab a whole halibut filet when a man set it on the table and went to bring back a beer🤣.  

There was a little shopping mall next door to that restaurant that had some unique high end clothing.

We found it to be an interesting port, and were hoping to be back one day.  Booked our 4th Alaska cruise recently, get to visit Icy Strait again next September🤗!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Sea saw 56 said:

We took a tour in Icy Strait, then had some time before getting back on the ship.  

We enjoyed the best fried halibut basket at a restaurant right beside the tender pier(2015).  Restaurant had outdoor seating with torchiers beside the booths for warmth. Will never forget eating lunch there, watched a huge raven grab a whole halibut filet when a man set it on the table and went to bring back a beer🤣.  

There was a little shopping mall next door to that restaurant that had some unique high end clothing.

We found it to be an interesting port, and were hoping to be back one day.  Booked our 4th Alaska cruise recently, get to visit Icy Strait again next September🤗!

Hope to see you there next year.  If you want Alaska then Hoonah is a must stop.  To bad that it is usually the first port traveling south and most cruisers are confused about the lack of commercializing.  Where are all the shops?  There are none.  Natures wonderland at your fingertips.

36 minutes ago, lambs2 said:

Icy Straight has a RESIDENT humpback, Freddie, who we saw in May as we were walking on the path from where the ship was berthed to the town of Hoonah!

Yes had  been around for years but also does disappear. And no guarantee he’ll be around.   I haven’t seen him on several trips including none of 2 trips I did this year.  How did you identify him?   

18 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

We were very disappointed with the whale watching and the wild life shore excursions in August. Icy Strait is not a port of call that we would repeat. 

What was your disappointment?   

59 minutes ago, julig22 said:

I did the whale and wildlife excursion offered by NCL in September and thought it was exactly as described and just what I wanted.  Guides were excellent (a little disconcerting when you have an armed guard with you for the bear watching!).  Our group watched/followed a number of bears in the forest and watched them in the river catching fish - there is an observation platform.  But it was September, not August, so probably more salmon and more bears getting ready for winter.  For the whale watch portion, lots of humpbacks.  The other excursion that day (in reverse) saw orcas but no humpbacks.  Partial refund offered if no whales spotted.

Superior can be independent bear watches because the ship tour routes are fixed.  Lining up at the platform with a bus load of people-isn’t ideal.   I’ve gone all over with an independent covering more potential sighting areas.   Plus never more than 6 people.