Burgers...

15 minutes ago, LESLIEKURZ said:

Room service menu says their burger is Waygu.  Wonder if that's better?

If it is.... It should be much better, but how they cook it and how long it takes to get delivered could be a factor as well.  Again, I don't think Guy's and/or Rockets are bad.  Just not great.

• Like 1

Give me a regular cheeseburger any day over these fancy craft burgers. I love a good quality burger, no doubt. But all of these fancy "gourmet" burgers. Someone else can have it. 
I don't eat burgers on cruises generally.  I have never sailed on Carnival so I have no way to compare.  Guy's certainly sounds better.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sellwingri said:

You can actually order a burger in the MDR at any meal.  My DH couldn't find anything he liked on the menu for dinner one night and ordered a cheeseburger.  He said it was great and free.

They used to have Angus sliders on the MDR menu every night, but that got removed.

16 hours ago, HBE4 said:

They do have burgers in the MDR on sea days & they are far, far away much better than JR or WJ.

Which is not much of a compliment but the MDR burgers are good.....and I'm a burger guy that can eat them 7 days a week.

And IMO, the same with Carnival vs Guys.  MDR burgers are better, as are the deli ones.  But that doesn't mean they are spectacular.  I'm sure we all have local, none chain spots in our cities and towns that serve burgers that would put both cruise lines options to shame.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

They used to have Angus sliders on the MDR menu every night, but that got removed.

This is probably my fault.  I believe that I ordered them on formal night once.  Both my wife and the waitstaff were appropriately appalled at passing on Lobster and Prime Rib for sliders.  

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, WeatherFx said:

I just can't bring myself to pay for a burger at JR. Will get the Royal Burger in the MDR on sea days or build my own in the WJ.

its not a bad burger plus the onion rings and fries are much better than MDR or WJ plus soda is included 

20 hours ago, dplusd said:

Definitely don't cruise Royal for their Burgers (or pizza).  They do a lot of things well...burgers is not one of them. 

Best burger we have found is in the MDR, but that's only available during lunch on sea days. 

18 hours ago, Mikew0805 said:

Agree, I do wish they had a good burger. The one in the MDR for lunch is just okay. 

Even without knowing who we are comparing to, they win, RCCL loses.  🙂  Royal just isn't focused on burgers.  The main dining room option is fine, the windjammer ones are not.  I can't comment on the Playmakers burger, but their wings are GREAT.  I do love royals fries though.

Guys burgers on Carnival consistently gets rave reviews across the cruise industry, so I would expect them to win in almost any competition.  My in-laws used to sail Carnival a lot until they started sailing with us on Royal and they LOVED guys burgers, but they also said that they are SUPER high in calories.

Dan

I don’t know if Johnny Rockets is a well known or popular brand anymore. They seem to be concentrated in malls that have declining relevance.  So many other burger chains have expanded over the years to standalone locations outside of malls.

Royal could save the license fee and and just create a better burger on their own. The new chicken sandwiches at CocoCay are a fine example of a great tasting sandwich that is available without the extra surcharge that turns off so many.

Edited by coaster
  • Like 3

Agree about Johnny Rockets just being so-so at best. On Anthem almost a year ago Johnny Rockets burger was good. 

22E7ED2A-44B5-4FB8-95CC-3193CE0C923F.thumb.jpeg.37a5a660bd8e547bd0d8f1efd05b84ed.jpeg

But the burger in the pub was delicious. We had decided to split it, but after tasting it we regretted that decision. 

10C43901-5F78-4250-A41E-D3F2D13204BA.thumb.jpeg.65d3859fe09533cc204d577215524616.jpeg

What makes a better burger?

Bun - more important than it may first seem

Cooked properly - How they cook it, when they cook it, how much they cook it all effect my opinion

Cooked to Order - Could be included above, but to me worth its own spot.  It's hard to be good when it sits around,

Thickness - can be personal.  My wife prefers flat burgers (smashed), I like a thick burgers

Quality of beef

Juiciness - for me, to be good it needs to drip when I bite in.  This is why God created Ellipticals and Treadmills

Proper cheese melt - on the buffet you are getting a cold piece of cheese on a warm patty, at some places the cheese is put on while the patty is cooking and becomes a liquid threat to clothes and skin.

Freshness of ingredients - this is what I think is very tough on a ship.

Type and quality of french fries

Your list should vary.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, aring75 said:

Agree about Johnny Rockets just being so-so at best. On Anthem almost a year ago Johnny Rockets burger was good. 

22E7ED2A-44B5-4FB8-95CC-3193CE0C923F.thumb.jpeg.37a5a660bd8e547bd0d8f1efd05b84ed.jpeg

But the burger in the pub was delicious. We had decided to split it, but after tasting it we regretted that decision. 

10C43901-5F78-4250-A41E-D3F2D13204BA.thumb.jpeg.65d3859fe09533cc204d577215524616.jpeg

I think, you actually see the difference.  Bun alone makes it more appetizing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LESLIEKURZ said:

Room service menu says their burger is Waygu.  Wonder if that's better?

2 hours ago, WeatherFx said:

I just can't bring myself to pay for a burger at JR. Will get the Royal Burger in the MDR on sea days or build my own in the WJ.

Is the Royal Burger on the room service menu the same as the one on the MDR Lunch menu? Has anyone had either one? Are they worth getting?

18 minutes ago, tomservo said:

Is the Royal Burger on the room service menu the same as the one on the MDR Lunch menu? Has anyone had either one? Are they worth getting?

I'd say the MDR lunch burger is definitely worth it as comes with no extra cost.

• Like 1