Small Christmas Present for Room Attendants?

roothy123

On 11/1/2019 at 9:22 PM, victory2020 said:

I always bring edible goodies for the crew - they greatly appreciate it, especially salty snacks & chocolate. 

Likely they are just being polite. In most cases they most appreciate cash, as they often are primary support for families back home. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, donaldsc said:

Do they really or do they say that they do.  Not everyone likes salty snacks or chocolate either for cultural, health or just personal reasons.  I have type II diabetes so although I like chocolate, I am not supposed to eat it. Members of the crew may have the same issue.

DON

1 hour ago, orchestrapal said:

Agree,,

some lines do not allow their employees to keep any food items.

Perhaps, but I have had conversations with crew members at ports with Walmart. They all tell me what they buy & have taken my cues from them. I have received many gifts from cabin stewards after giving them goodie bags, usually something from their country or wine all the bottled water I want. 

FYI, crew members & families are not the destitute people you think they are,  & they also must pass a physical before boarding the ship - any slight problem with their health & they cannot work - again learning this by having conversations with them.

31 minutes ago, victory2020 said:

Perhaps, but I have had conversations with crew members at ports with Walmart. They all tell me what they buy & have taken my cues from them. I have received many gifts from cabin stewards after giving them goodie bags, usually something from their country or wine all the bottled water I want. 

FYI, crew members & families are not the destitute people you think they are,  & they also must pass a physical before boarding the ship - any slight problem with their health & they cannot work - again learning this by having conversations with them.

On Oceania you can get all the bottled water you anyway  ..just ask 🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On the rare times we sail on the holidays, we do not give cash.  We find something unusual in port.  If the recipient is female, we will notice if she wears earrings and what kind.  Often a small makeup type case or shawl works.  When we get to know the person we  can usually figure out what will work.  It is, of course, much harder buying for guys . . .

Edited by bitob
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

When you really don't know the person's likes and dislikes (no matter how observant you are), I'd second the idea of cash.  Then you get into whether it's dollars, euros or some other currency ...

We've never sailed during a holiday season so we've never considered this option ... but I'm not at all sure that crew with whom you regularly interact expect a present at all.  BUT I'm willing to bet they'd like some extra cash, even if it's just to send it home to family. 

I'm guessing here!

Mura