Scrapnana

November 4, 2019

Mr. Orlando Ashford

Holland America Line

450 3rd Ave W

Seattle, WA 98119

Re: Use of the ship's horn in port. A demand for "toots."

Dear Mr. Ashford,

We, the undersigned, are a group of Holland America Line ("HAL") cruisers who frequent the online message board known as Cruise Critic. Collectively, we have more sea days on HAL than the Vikings had at sea during their era (probably). For the most part we are loyal fans, checking in often to see what's new with our Dam Ships. Our fandom is such that we frequently meet to watch HAL ships arrive and depart from various ports using a streaming webcam service. On one recent port day (November 2, 2019), there were over 400 viewers watching the departure of the Nieuw Amsterdam from Port Everglades, Florida.

We enjoy watching our favorite ships get underway. We enjoy watching the happy passengers wave farewell. But most of all, we enjoy our toots. A departing ship's horn is an audible reminder of the fun times that lie ahead. It heralds the commencement of a journey where memories are made, friendships old and new are enjoyed, and waistlines are expanded. That the toots are important to cruise customers is undeniable. Take for example a Princess ship tooting the theme to the "Love Boat" or a Disney ship tooting "When You Wish Upon a Star." These are for the enjoyment of all who are within earshot.

Lately, we have observed a complete lack of toots from HAL ships departing Port Everglades. We have wondered aloud if this is the result of some new policy of the cruise line or the port authority. Either way, we ask that the policy (if one exists) be reconsidered. If there is no such rule prohibiting toots, we respectfully ask you to mention to your captains the importance of blasting the horn upon departure. An entire audience of future cruisers is waiting....and listening.

Sincerely yours,

[Add your username]

Edited by SumoCitrus
Fixed typo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Scrapnana said:

Out of 5 ships we got just one toot.😧

I guess I didn’t miss much.

Leaves were calling here sadly especially after our storms the last couple of days.  Fortunately, I had removed the one tree that gave me concern a couple of weeks ago (it was those long branches I worried about).  My next door neighbour wasn’t so lucky.  One tree down last storm and another this one.

Hopefully, I can make the next sail a way and there will be toots.

2 hours ago, SumoCitrus said:

November 4, 2019

Mr. Orlando Ashford

Holland America Line

450 3rd Ave W

Seattle, WA 98119

Re: Use of the ship's horn in port. A demand for "toots."

Dear Mr. Ashford,

We, the undersigned, are a group of Holland America Line ("HAL") cruisers who frequent the online message board known as Cruise Critic. Collectively, we have more sea days on HAL than the Vikings had at sea during their era (probably). .............................................

Please leave us bloody Vikings out of this protest!

Signed respectfully,

Sven the Red

No photo description available.

On 11/2/2019 at 2:12 PM, Happily@Sea said:

No toots from NA??

There was no tooting from Nieuw Amsterdam's captain outbound on Saturday because there was a live (Malt Shop charter) concert happening on Lido Deck with the Magro dome (roof) open. The mid-ship whistle/horn is located right above that location and the captain did not want to disturb the concert. He told me there will be toeters again this coming Saturday :classic_wink: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

There was no tooting from Nieuw Amsterdam's captain outbound on Saturday because there was a live (Malt Shop charter) concert happening on Lido Deck with the Magro dome (roof) open. The mid-ship whistle/horn is located right above that location and the captain did not want to disturb the concert. He told me there will be toeters again this coming Saturday :classic_wink: 

Straight from the bridge. Thanks Capt & Copper - I'll tune in next week!  :classic_biggrin:

Edited by SumoCitrus
  • Like 1