Star Gazing

friendlyfifer

I've read of some lecturers leading star gazing, Northern Lights searches, etc but not actual crew members. Only ones that would know a little about the stars are the Deck Officers and they are not normally available.

We did Sky’s TA in Spring 2018 and Sea’s TA this past spring and there were no star gazing sessions on either.  We just completed Far East Discovery on Orion and in addition to lectures in the Planetarium, the resident astrologer had telescope sessions whenever sea and weather conditions allowed.  Near the end of the cruise there was one schedule where the Captain had agreed to turn off a number of exterior lights.  We didn’t attend however, I think because it was raining so I don’t know if they actually held it...but I suspect not. 

We did the final segment of this year's World Cruise (Durban to Greenwich) and one of the lecturers, a former pilot,  took us on deck for a couple of star-gazing sessions.  Quite interesting as we saw Southern hemisphere constellations, which we'd not seen before.  He used a laser pointer, so everyone knew where to look.

• Like 1

On 11/2/2019 at 5:35 PM, Heidi13 said:

I've read of some lecturers leading star gazing, Northern Lights searches, etc but not actual crew members. Only ones that would know a little about the stars are the Deck Officers and they are not normally available.

On our Northern Lights cruise, we were told that there is a constant watch by various "crew members" to look for aurora sightings. Whenever there was indeed a sighting, it was announced by the captain. If it occurred during the later evening hours, the notification was done on the room TVs (so had to keep them on all night - made for a bit more light in the room than I cared for and so we threw a blanket over it). 

Edited by OnTheJourney

• 1 month later...

We were on Orion from Athens to Hong Kong.  There was star gazing on Deck 9 led by the resident astronomer weather conditions permitting.  A Viking ship with the planetarium should have a resident astronomer.  Be sure to download to your smart phone a star map app with GPS capabilities to find stars, planets, satellites, ISS more quickly.  The darkest location at night outside for stargazing is the outside platform at the starboard exit from the Explorers Lounge on Deck 8.  It is not shown on the deck plans.  This platform is also accessible from Deck 9 via the stairs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, palacecrystal1 said:

We were on Orion from Athens to Hong Kong.  There was star gazing on Deck 9 led by the resident astronomer weather conditions permitting.  A Viking ship with the planetarium should have a resident astronomer.  Be sure to download to your smart phone a star map app with GPS capabilities to find stars, planets, satellites, ISS more quickly.  The darkest location at night outside for stargazing is the outside platform at the starboard exit from the Explorers Lounge on Deck 8.  It is not shown on the deck plans.  This platform is also accessible from Deck 9 via the stairs.

Many thanks for the information. An App is an excellent suggestion and the best location is noted.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2019 at 2:23 AM, friendlyfifer said:

Thanks Heidi and Clay. I’ll put in a request when I board and hopefully there will be a knowledgeable officer, crew member or lecturer who can lead a star gazing session.

Now that I’m booked on the TA, would love to join you if you find someone. We are in 5059 so just give me a call.  I’ll ask also, maybe having several ask for the same thing will help. 

Edited by Clay Clayton

1 hour ago, Clay Clayton said:

Now that I’m booked on the TA, would love to join you if you find someone. We are in 5059 so just give me a call.  I’ll ask also, maybe having several ask for the same thing will help. 

Will be in touch. Hopefully an officer or another member of the crew will have a knowledge of the stars We are in 4021 if you have any luck with your request.

• Like 1

Add us to the list. We are on that crossing and my wife asked for such an evening. I told her that it could be difficult because of all the ship's lights but if a number of us ask for it, the captain may give us a limited blackout for a couple hours. We are in 5004.

14 minutes ago, jacquesmm said:

Add us to the list. We are on that crossing and my wife asked for such an evening. I told her that it could be difficult because of all the ship's lights but if a number of us ask for it, the captain may give us a limited blackout for a couple hours. We are in 5004.

You’re on the list. I will contact Viking before we sail and also when we board.

• Like 1