Food on p&o

Vampiress88

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

Just as a slight change of tack, can I please talk about the correct way to eat bread rolls at dinner.

Do NOT  use  a knife to cut your roll in half, and especially do  not hold your roll in your hand while doing so. Do not butter half a roll in one go!

Simply tear your roll into mouth sized portions, and when ready, apply a small amount of butter to each portion prior to consumption. 

My next lesson will be how to hold a knife and fork correctly, like a pen, not like using a shovel! 

That reminds me of my Grandma who was frequently heard to say at the table cut cake, break bread. So I have always eaten bread rolls as you describe because if I didn’t I got a rap across the knuckles with a butter knife!

7 minutes ago, Les_ldh said:

What do you mean “old”? We still have those up here in the north 😋

And we still have them even further North as well, nothing wrong with it as an occasional treat. Salt, vinegar and brown sauce.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

And we still have them even further North as well, nothing wrong with it as an occasional treat. Salt, vinegar and brown sauce.

I think you’ve made a typo there, it should be salt, vinegar and gravy surely 😂... and don’t forget the scraps. But I fear we may be drifting a little off topic now 🤔

Just now, eddie11 said:

This thread has gone delightfully off-track!

it’s all food related. 

I will be buttering bread roll unfortunately. Letting my 5 & 4 year old lose with bread and butter will not result in good dinning no matter how hard they try 

3 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

I thought adding salt in any way was considered an insult to the chef, suggesting he/she had not seasoned the food correctly? 

Andy 

Also an insult to your health, especially as most mass catered food is already highly seasoned. 

7 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Ha ha, hilarious. 

I have always torn my roll into pieces before buttering but didn't know it was correct etiquette. 

I don't suppose then dropping it into my soup is right though? 

I hope for your sake Wowzz we never share a table... My knife and fork swapping, pint of beer on the table and taking my jacket off to eat will drive you insane.. 😊

Andy 

Andy, as the saying goes "your a man after my own heart" 🍻

I am sure I would not look out of place sharing your table with my Pint of Old Speckled Hen.

BTW, I have not seen Faggots and Mushy Peas on the menu, have you? :classic_wink: :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, wowzz said:

Just as a slight change of tack, can I please talk about the correct way to eat bread rolls at dinner.

Do NOT  use  a knife to cut your roll in half, and especially do  not hold your roll in your hand while doing so. Do not butter half a roll in one go!

Simply tear your roll into mouth sized portions, and when ready, apply a small amount of butter to each portion prior to consumption. 

My next lesson will be how to hold a knife and fork correctly, like a pen, not like using a shovel! 

Strange! I always considered cutting a roll in half with a knife was more delicate than ripping it apart with your bear hands! Who on earth makes up these etiquette rules?

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Spike11 said:

Strange! I always considered cutting a roll in half with a knife was more delicate than ripping it apart with your bear hands! Who on earth makes up these etiquette rules?

I can make enough crumbs cutting it in half, without tearing it apart and scattering them everywhere!:classic_cool:

12 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I can make enough crumbs cutting it in half, without tearing it apart and scattering them everywhere!:classic_cool:

58 minutes ago, Spike11 said:

I thought I would post the following!

Correctly Eating Bread

A bread plate and butter knife or spreader are placed to the left of the main plate and above the forks at each person’s place setting.  The sole purpose?  To signify that there is a place to position bread and to butter your bread or roll.  It is a separate working area from your dinner plate.

• The roll or bread is placed on the bread plate.
  • The butter knife is positioned near to top of the plate, parallel to the table’s edge and the blade edge is angled toward you.
  • Butter may be passed, or pats of butter placed on your bread plate. These days foiled pats are often used.
  • If there is a bread basket, take a roll and pass the basket to the right.

Now for the most important part - the bite!

• Pick up your slice or roll and break off a small bite, doing so above your bread plate.
  • Use the butter knife to take a bit of butter and spread it on the piece you’ve broken off.
  • Replace the butter knife on the plate as originally positioned, with the blade edge facing you.
  • Pop that delicious bite of bread into your mouth. 
  • Your enjoyment will occur one small bite at a time throughout your meal!
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, P-L-B said:

Andy, as the saying goes "your a man after my own heart" 🍻

I am sure I would not look out of place sharing your table with my Pint of Old Speckled Hen.

BTW, I have not seen Faggots and Mushy Peas on the menu, have you? :classic_wink: :classic_biggrin:

I would happily share a table with you, your Old Speckled Hen is very welcome. 

In fairness, most of our table companions have been absolutely lovely and encouraged me to enjoy dinner my way, even some very well to do retired bankers etc have been fine as they soon realise we are good people.

Andy 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Correctly Eating Bread

A bread plate and butter knife or spreader are placed to the left of the main plate and above the forks at each person’s place setting.  The sole purpose?  To signify that there is a place to position bread and to butter your bread or roll.  It is a separate working area from your dinner plate.

• The butter knife is positioned near to top of the plate, parallel to the table’s edge and the blade edge is angled toward you.
  • Butter may be passed, or pats of butter placed on your bread plate. These days foiled pats are often used.

• Pick up your slice or roll and break off a small bite, doing so above your bread plate.
  • Use the butter knife to take a bit of butter and spread it on the piece you’ve broken off.
  • Replace the butter knife on the plate as originally positioned, with the blade edge facing you.

Then drop it in your soup?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Correctly Eating Bread

What's the etiquette when one of ones chips fall out.You sure your method is not feeding the seagulls etiquette.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

I would happily share a table with you, your Old Speckled Hen is very welcome. 

In fairness, most of our table companions have been absolutely lovely and encouraged me to enjoy dinner my way, even some very well to do retired bankers etc have been fine as they soon realise we are good people.

Andy 

On a cruise landtour last year we shared a table for 3 meals a day for 2 days with a current tory cabinet ministers Mum and partner.They were a right laugh,after a few drinks my Mrs said don't you posh people sound funny when you swear.We couldn't stop laughing.A third couple from Essex were a bit more snooty even though they had more in common with us.It takes all sorts.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

Correctly Eating Bread

This is one of the funniest posts I’ve seen in ages!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, wowzz said:

My wife and I have a table for two the majority of the year. She insists that we don't have a two top on a cruise!

Same here. 

We wouldn't dream of sharing a table on land, but on cruises we like the company of others. 

It's only for a short while and you never have to see them again if you don't want to, but we have met some friends for life at dinner and had some great times. 

Andy 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Same here. 

We wouldn't dream of sharing a table on land, but on cruises we like the company of others. 

It's only for a short while and you never have to see them again if you don't want to, but we have met some friends for life at dinner and had some great times. 

Andy 

you lot must be great conversationalists. I’m too busy eating to talk usually