MISSED PORTS

Tablelamp

I noticed that when ports were missed on a transatlantic cruise in September,  due to a storm, we had letters from P & O advising us that there would be no compensation from P and P and that we should contact our own insurance Companies.    I see other cruise lines offer credits.  Any thoughts anyone?

Missed ports are not the cruise lines fault, they can't influence the weather so have no obligation to offer compensation. We missed Shanghai and Taiwan a few years ago because of a severe storm. They gave no compensation for missing ports but gave OBC of the cost of a Chinese visa. If they hadn't I suspect we would have had a mutiny. People were not happy, especially as we did go to Shanghai but only overnight to refuel and they would not let us off the ship.

1 hour ago, Tablelamp said:

I noticed that when ports were missed on a transatlantic cruise in September,  due to a storm, we had letters from P & O advising us that there would be no compensation from P and P and that we should contact our own insurance Companies.    I see other cruise lines offer credits.  Any thoughts anyone?

I think we were on the same cruise Tablelamp.  I did contact my insurance company but they don't insure missed ports.  I don't see how it can be P & O's fault, they don't control the weather, so I wouldn't expect compensation. Having said that, they must save a lot of money in port fees etc but I suppose it wouldn't be much shared between everyone!

Earlier in the year we had notification that our 'free' building society insurance was going to start offering missed port cover of £150 per missed port (for a small extra cost).  I've not heard anymore so I have no idea how much the small extra cost will be.

We have an annual travel policy, which includes cruise cover.  Missed port compensation is £100 pp, up to a maximum of three missed ports. Not being able to go ashore due to tenders not being able to operate is not covered.

39 minutes ago, Tablelamp said:

To Waju.

I did not expect cruise credit for the missed port,  it’s just that I saw it on You Tube and wondered.

Sorry, I didn't mean it to sound like you were expecting credit and I apologise if it came across that way.

P&O will give compensation only if a port is missed because of a problem with the ship - that happened to us once on Arcadia and we each received £100 on board credit.  They will not compensate for the weather as they can't do anything about that - other than to avoid bad weather if they can. We missed a port on our Canada/USA trip in September because of Hurricane Dorian.  We were supposed to stop at Corner Brook in Canada, which would have been our second stop but because it was right in the path of Dorian we went from St. John's Newfoundland - the first stop once we'd crossed the Atlantic - back out into the Atlantic for 300 miles to avoid Dorian.  It worked, we did.  We didn't get compensation for missing Corner Brook, nor did we expect any.  We were thankful that the Captain had taken us out of harm's way.

Playing Devil's Advocate here a bit, but, you could argue that your fare includes port charges and taxes. If the ship cannot dock, these charges are not incurred, and therefore, theoretically, should be returned to the passengers. 

15 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Playing Devil's Advocate here a bit, but, you could argue that your fare includes port charges and taxes. If the ship cannot dock, these charges are not incurred, and therefore, theoretically, should be returned to the passengers. 

But then again, its most likely that you will enjoy an extra sea day if a port is cancelled and so you are being compensated by way of all the extra food, tea and coffee you can cram in 😋😂.  It is also costing the cruise company in fuel usage too possibly...

9 minutes ago, Britboys said:

But then again, its most likely that you will enjoy an extra sea day if a port is cancelled and so you are being compensated by way of all the extra food, tea and coffee you can cram in 😋😂.  It is also costing the cruise company in fuel usage too possibly...

Yes, that's a fair comment. Conversely,  more drinks will be purchased than would have been the case if the pax were ashore.

14 hours ago, Tablelamp said:

We were on Aurora in June this year and were not able to dock in Cadiz due to weather conditions.  We too were given a letter from P&O confirming that no compensation was paid.  We claimed from our insurance policy, which was successful, and  received £300 each.

19 hours ago, Waju said:

Sorry, I didn't mean it to sound like you were expecting credit and I apologise if it came across that way.

Waju,

No apology necessary, you message came through, perfectly fine.  I actually prefer sea days.  Just that there seems be be so much bad feeling, I prefer to be safe.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I too was on USA/Canada cruise in September. Just received payment from insurance claim. You need to ensure that you have "cruise cover", not just travel insurance. Payment received far out ways premium paid. Can't recall any cruise I've been on where at least one port has been missed, or changed due to the weather, or a medical emergency necessating a diversion. 

I do wonder when a docking is booked, if the port fees are still payable even if the ship does not dock, much like a cancellation fee if you cancel your cruise at the last minute. If that is the case, then there is no saving for the cruise line, and there is the inevitable extra cost of an additional day's cruising. Just saying.

8 minutes ago, dorsetlad said:

I do wonder when a docking is booked, if the port fees are still payable even if the ship does not dock, much like a cancellation fee if you cancel your cruise at the last minute. If that is the case, then there is no saving for the cruise line, and there is the inevitable extra cost of an additional day's cruising. Just saying.

No, it's not clear cut is it?  We weren't able to get into La Coruña week before last - the conditions were such that the pilot wouldn't come out and the port was closed.  Capt had already made alternative plans but it wouldn't be reasonable to charge port fees in that case. Muddy waters indeed!

1 hour ago, dorsetlad said:

I have no idea when the dock is booked and paid for but I can say that every time that we have missed a port on Princess we have had port charges refunded to our on-board account, so I suspect that if they don't dock they don't lay.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, davemorton said:

I missed a port the other week, and have missed port cover.  It pays out £100 but didnt bother claiming as I thought the excess on my policy (£75) would have wiped it out.  Does the excess not come off the missed port cover? 

My policy has no excess for missed ports.  Worth checking the small print.

Could you argue that you should receive compensation for a missed port whatever the reason?  You paid for a package holiday going to the advertised destinations. You did not receive what was advertised, and what you paid for. I can return a washing machine that does not wash as advertised.  I do not have to prove who or if anybody was at fault. Why should the same not apply to a cruise. 

Also on this board we know certain ports of call are at risk to weather.  Guernsey for example. P&O know this and still advertise cruises that call there. Surely that means the have responsibility to make the port or compensate passengers. Alternatively they should have advertised the cruises as Possibly calling at Guernsey. Passenger who then booked would know the risk. 

Best wishes, Stephen. 

2 hours ago, davemorton said:

I missed a port the other week, and have missed port cover.  It pays out £100 but didnt bother claiming as I thought the excess on my policy (£75) would have wiped it out.  Does the excess not come off the missed port cover? 

I missed a port last year and claimed.  No excess charged and nor was I penalised with a huge increase in premium the following year.

2 hours ago, stephen@stoneyard.co.uk said:

Could you argue that you should receive compensation for a missed port whatever the reason?  You paid for a package holiday going to the advertised destinations. You did not receive what was advertised, and what you paid for. I can return a washing machine that does not wash as advertised.  I do not have to prove who or if anybody was at fault. Why should the same not apply to a cruise. 

Also on this board we know certain ports of call are at risk to weather.  Guernsey for example. P&O know this and still advertise cruises that call there. Surely that means the have responsibility to make the port or compensate passengers. Alternatively they should have advertised the cruises as Possibly calling at Guernsey. Passenger who then booked would know the risk. 

Best wishes, Stephen. 

P&O will assure you that they're covered by their booking terms and conditions.  That may prove to be the case, but not necessarily. It depends on all the circumstances. Not all terms and conditions can be enforced all the time against non-business customers.