Apologies for a tipping query

indiana123

Doesn't pretty much the whole of this thread rather prove what a minefield the whole tipping thing is? And how much better it would be all round if all employees,  not just the officers, received a fair rate of pay so that tipping had no relevance?

Nobody feels the need to tip the officers, and that's the way it should be for everyone.  In theory the new policy does that, but in reality the same dilemmas remain. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dinglebert said:

I can never understand why people feel the need to advertise what they tip or don't tip.   The original question was answered.

Agreed.

It appears that the OP has lit the blue touch paper and fled to a safe distance to watch the ensuing firework display. 💥😂

• Like 1

Oh no I didn't.  I very much regret starting the ****** thing.

Obviously I didn't explain myself properly because no-one seems to have understood my original query which wasn't anything to do with most of the replies.

My query was simply..... I thought tipping had been removed and would be not be expected and left to us.... ie it wasn't included in the fare.

but then someone on a thread somewhere said "Now that tips are included in the fare" or words to that effect. I have seen it twice I think.

I was merely asking are tips included in the fare or not..... I thought they were not others think they are.

Edited by indiana123
to make correction

P&O  have explicitly stated that tips are not required or expected.  

So,  I will follow their advice 100%.

I certainly won't be tipping waiters in speciality restaurants, as they have a cushy number compared to working in the mdr, but If others want to do anything else, fine. 

25 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

Oh no I didn't.  I very much regret starting the ****** thing.

Obviously I didn't explain myself properly because no-one seems to have understood my original query which wasn't anything to do with most of the replies.

My query was simply..... I thought tipping had been removed and would be not be expected and left to us.... ie it wasn't included in the fare.

but then someone on a thread somewhere said "Now that tips are included in the fare" or words to that effect. I have seen it twice I think.

I was merely asking are tips included in the fare or not..... I thought they were not others think they are.

Please don’t have any regrets in starting your thread I just hope you have had some useful responses.

Basically your quote above is correct. “I thought tipping had been removed and would be not be expected and left to us

If you do some forum searches Tipping threads have always been a source of lively debate. :classic_smile:

Edited by P-L-B

Thanks for the clarification that they are not added into the cruise fare....

which is exactly how I understood it.

I hope at least it clarifies it for good and helps anyone who was wondering.

Now we can all go and tip who we want, what we want, and when we want.. or not as the case may be!!!!

I'm off to compose a really dodgy topic and put me tin 'at on.😃😃

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

Now we can all go and tip who we want, what we want, and when we want.. or not as the case may be!!!!

Now I wonder what that topic may be. :classic_ohmy:

Enjoy your cruising. :classic_smile:

Thank you PLB.. I certainly will.

Its only my thread I am hijacking... On the way to our last cruise I had a terrible accident in a lift in Rome.  Hospitalised for a month and three months non weightbearing and 95% dependent.  Now mobilised, limping and a stick, but as it wasn't clear if I would walk again, apart from being a determined tough old bird, I am ecstatic as I didn't think I would ever cruise again.

So yes, Sir, I will enjoy.

ps I do a wonderful duck impression!

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

Thank you PLB.. I certainly will.

Its only my thread I am hijacking... On the way to our last cruise I had a terrible accident in a lift in Rome.  Hospitalised for a month and three months non weightbearing and 95% dependent.  Now mobilised, limping and a stick, but as it wasn't clear if I would walk again, apart from being a determined tough old bird, I am ecstatic as I didn't think I would ever cruise again.

So yes, Sir, I will enjoy.

ps I do a wonderful duck impression!

Sorry to muddy the water but let me make it clear. There is no need to tip. You have already tipped in the fare you have paid.

When we started cruising you were given a booklet explaining the suggested level of tipping per day. You found envelops in your cabin.

Then they introduced freedom dining and at the same time auto tipping to cover the fact that you could end up with 7 sets of waiters in a weeks cruise. 
Then last year this was removed and the staff went on to a new contract which covered the loss of auto tips. The company said that tipping was not required or expected. So no tipping as they now use as an incentive for bookings.

So now there is no need to tip. However you can if you want to and tipping is now between you and the staff and nothing to do with anyone else.

• Like 8

10 hours ago, indiana123 said:

I am not sure that is the case, although with fluid pricing it is impossible to know for certain.  However I feel confident that P&O have in fact at least maintained the same wage structure for their staff leaving them no worse off than when the auto tip was in place.  So any cash in hand tips are in addition to their normal wage, just as it used to be prior to the new "Tips not required" system.

10 hours ago, indiana123 said:

If tips are not included in the fare, then where does the money come from? The money tree?

Brian

• Like 2

11 hours ago, daiB said:

Sorry to muddy the water but let me make it clear. There is no need to tip. You have already tipped in the fare you have paid.

When we started cruising you were given a booklet explaining the suggested level of tipping per day. You found envelops in your cabin.

Then they introduced freedom dining and at the same time auto tipping to cover the fact that you could end up with 7 sets of waiters in a weeks cruise. 
Then last year this was removed and the staff went on to a new contract which covered the loss of auto tips. The company said that tipping was not required or expected. So no tipping as they now use as an incentive for bookings.

So now there is no need to tip. However you can if you want to and tipping is now between you and the staff and nothing to do with anyone else.

Absolutely spot on.

2 hours ago, BrianI said:

If tips are not included in the fare, then where does the money come from? The money tree?

Brian

Well it does not come out of company profits so it comes from the passengers. If the company want everyone to pay their fair share I think it is probably buried somewhere in the cabin price, even if P&O deny it!

8 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Well it does not come out of company profits so it comes from the passengers. If the company want everyone to pay their fair share I think it is probably buried somewhere in the cabin price, even if P&O deny it!

And I for one am perfectly happy that that seems to be the case. 

• Like 4

On 11/8/2019 at 9:46 AM, BrianI said:

Brian

I use the money tree to pay for my cruise!

I like to give my cabin steward a hand written card too.........