Internet package question (platinum)

Mslmesq

On our last cruise we were not offered platinum discount once we were on board and we were speaking with manager of that department.  Why?  Don't know.  It was either buy pre-cruise for that discounted price or use our 250 minutes once we were on board.  In hindsight, and assuming it really was available as it has been other people on other cruises, it may be if you are dealing with an extremely busy and stressed out crew you might not get the answer you think you deserve?  Don't know.  Call before hand and get a guarantee in writing is all I can suggest.

So for anyone that can give me an answer, I appreciate it. I scrolled down and found old thread that are all over the place.

we are on a 7 night cruise on the Ruby which is medallion class. 

Prepaid the internet price says you save 50% off. I called princess and the guy said platinum saves 25% off on the ship so to just wait. Well, 50% seems a lot better than 25%, so I’m scratching my head. 

So should I just buy it now?

also, I assume I only need one for us that allows 4 devices at a time?  So that covers the three of us?

man, it’s been six years since our last cruise and so much has changed. Plus first time with a child. I feel lost. 😒

2 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

If you are purchasing the unlimited internet in lieu of Platinum and Elite free minutes the discount is factored in once you sign up with your device onboard.

This additional discount is not possible yet pre purchasing.

But is it really only 25%?  Or was that guy wrong?  Seems like the better deal would be to bite the bullet now. 

I have a five year old that fares better with netflix access. And a husband that works 24/7. Need all the internet. Haha. 

7 minutes ago, Mslmesq said:

But is it really only 25%?  Or was that guy wrong?  Seems like the better deal would be to bite the bullet now. 

I have a five year old that fares better with netflix access. And a husband that works 24/7. Need all the internet. Haha. 

the 50% off ... is off the per-day price of $19.99 ... indeed..

1 minute ago, voljeep said:

the 50% off ... is off the per-day price of $19.99 ... indeed..

Oh, I see. So you mean the package prices are better once on board?

as long as I really will get a better discount I’ll wait. For sure?  And can I purchase the 4 devices package once on board as well?

1 hour ago, Mslmesq said:

Does it really matter?  🤔

A discount is a discount.  😉

26 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Does it really matter?  🤔

A discount is a discount.  😉

I don’t get it. I’m just trying to figure out which is cheaper. So, yea it matters. Unless they are the same price. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, voljeep said:

ship ?

Caribbean Princess.  But I admit that the craziness that was going on at embarkation could have something to do with it.  Everyone was running around like a chicken with their head cut off for various reasons including the terminal had been closed due to decontamination protocols, the medallion stuff wasn't working very well, and for those it did work for it was glitchy and a lot of people missed the explanation of how to use it and set it up.  So … could have been due to that.

Specifically my husband had purchased the unlimited for one device.  I was just going to use my 250 minutes.  When he tried to see if there was another package for me it was either buy it at the now increased price or nothing.  I just stuck with my 250 minutes and didn't think anything of it until someone mentioned it on this board.

After further investigation, the 25% off is on the increased at time of embarkation, not off of the discounted pre-cruise price.

A break down using our next cruise with is to South America in Feb '20.  A pre-cruise unlimited for one device is $99.  That is 50% off normal price.  Onboard price would therefore be $200.  25% off the price of $200 cannot beat the 50% off pre-cruise price.  Someone else may have a different explanation but that is what Princess told me over the phone when I asked.

30 minutes ago, Mslmesq said:

I don’t get it. I’m just trying to figure out which is cheaper. So, yea it matters. Unless they are the same price. 

I'm in the same situation as you and I think a couple here are missing your point. My situation is that the pre-cruise unlimited package is $139 but it says that is a 50% off rate. Is that the rate discounted once on board or is the 25% discount off the supposed full price of $278. If so I am better buying it now (and which essentially makes my free minutes worthless)?

EDIT - I just read mamkmm2 response so he might have answered my question. I'd also be interested in any other clarifications/views.

8 hours ago, leck57 said:

I'm in the same situation as you and I think a couple here are missing your point. My situation is that the pre-cruise unlimited package is $139 but it says that is a 50% off rate. Is that the rate discounted once on board or is the 25% discount off the supposed full price of $278. If so I am better buying it now (and which essentially makes my free minutes worthless)?

EDIT - I just read mamkmm2 response so he might have answered my question. I'd also be interested in any other clarifications/views.

The 50% off purchasing pre-cruise is based on being 50% off paying the full price for daily use for all days of the cruise.

On embarkation day, non-Platinum/Elite passengers are offered a discount off the daily rate by purchasing a full cruise package. It is not as big a doscount as the pre-cruise price. Platinum/Elite passengers are offered 25% off that discounted rate.

As a chart shows on other threads, a Platinum/Elite passenger comes out ahead by waiting until embarkation day to sign on for the first time and pick the package option. The savings over the pre-cruise price that all passengers can pay is a few dollars, not a fantastic amount.

If you do not sign on in the first 24 hours, the package discount will not be available and you would have to pay the full daily rate for the number of days left in the cruise if you wanted unlimited use instead of your free minutes.

1 hour ago, caribill said:

The 50% off purchasing pre-cruise is based on being 50% off paying the full price for daily use for all days of the cruise.

On embarkation day, non-Platinum/Elite passengers are offered a discount off the daily rate by purchasing a full cruise package. It is not as big a doscount as the pre-cruise price. Platinum/Elite passengers are offered 25% off that discounted rate.

As a chart shows on other threads, a Platinum/Elite passenger comes out ahead by waiting until embarkation day to sign on for the first time and pick the package option. The savings over the pre-cruise price that all passengers can pay is a few dollars, not a fantastic amount.

If you do not sign on in the first 24 hours, the package discount will not be available and you would have to pay the full daily rate for the number of days left in the cruise if you wanted unlimited use instead of your free minutes.

Sorry Caribill, I'm missing something - or I've had too many post dinner glasses of shiraz. 

My Cruise Personaliser says that I can purchase the unlimited Medallion net package now for $139 and it states that rate is a 50% discount. To me that means the usual rate is $278 and the discounts I've seen for purchasing on board are not worth the $139 price difference.

It should be simple but Princess seem to make this harder than it needs to be.

Good luck figuring this out. Princess has no idea what its own prices are. Keep contacting them until you get an answer you like. We are finishing 47 days on the Ruby and apparently there was a secret, pre-departure “special” which was good but I was and still am unable to find out what it was. Online there were packages offered indicating percentage discounts but the numbers were all screwed up and made no sense. Each agent at Princess had a different version of what the internet costs. Got on-board in Vancouver and immediately paid $150 for unlimited one device for our 47 day B2B2B cruise. I have no idea why princess insists on making their internet service so mysterious and difficult.

1 hour ago, CineGraphic said:

Here is a break down of the pricing.

The embarkation day discount amounts to less than 10% of the pre-boarding price available to everyone online.

1092494418_ScreenShot2019-10-21at2_56_50PM.png.0e8693ede3f0807c85fc80f7a6a1da32.png

Where did you get the graphic you posted?  I'd like to show our TA as Princess gave her the same explanation they gave me.  Thanks.

5 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

Another member, @steelers36 created it in text format, I made a screen shot of it because I find it's very helpful.

Thank you.  So it isn't "official" and Princess can honor it or not.

I looked all through my papers for our last cruise on the Caribbean Princess and found no offer for a First Day discount on the internet service.  Could be wrong but the Internet Café Manager specifically said there were no discounts except for pre-cruise.  Princess does tend to have varying experiences for people by cruise and by ship.  This may just be one of those instances.

1 minute ago, mamkmm2 said:

Thank you.  So it isn't "official" and Princess can honor it or not.

I looked all through my papers for our last cruise on the Caribbean Princess and found no offer for a First Day discount on the internet service.  Could be wrong but the Internet Café Manager specifically said there were no discounts except for pre-cruise.  Princess does tend to have varying experiences for people by cruise and by ship.  This may just be one of those instances.

If you are Elite or Platinum, the first day offer shows up on your device before you sign in for the first time on embarkation day.

It gives you the choice to use your free minutes or trade them in for the slightly discounted unlimited package. It's the only time you'll see this offer.