Shameful Customer Service

harert56

If the charge on your credit card is a duplicate (and therefore NOT VALID) then Chase should do a chargeback and recover the money especially as they have not had a satisfactory explanation from NCL. I had a situation with an travel agent recently, my credit card company asked me to write them a letter giving them 14 days to resolve the issue and it they did not then the credit card company would intervene and recover all money, it was resolved by the travel agent on day 14!

You are actually in a strong position, you should work with Chase to resolve this, give NCL a final "Letter before action" with a reasonable timeframe and if this is not acted on, Chase should act on your behalf. If you raised it with chase in good time they have no business saying it's too late, it's only too late because they have sat on it.

If this had been handled correctly, it should have been resolved months ago, with or without NCL's cooperation.

Your wife is wasting her time and ruining her cruise for no good reason, as others have said, there is nothing anyone (even a supervisor) can do on a tin can in the middle of the ocean. If you really want to resolve it face to face, roll up at Miami HQ.

I'm not on NCL's side here as they have terrible customer service when things are slightly out of the ordinary, I experienced this for 6 months, mine was a points issue so I had nobody to help, you (should) have the power of a credit card company on your side.

Edited by ziggyuk

I too have had a credit card company intervene on my behalf when there was an error in billing, not with NCL, and it went very smoothly.  However, if the credit card company already sided with NCL there is more to this story than the OP is telling. Having his wife complain about this on a current cruise is just ludicrous.  

• Like 2

I am on vacation this week and planned on just checking out the NCL board to see more new pictures of Encore but then I saw this thread.  **sigh**  I had to go get my cruise critic judicial robe out of my suitcase to rule on this case.   I am the CC judge around here and all of my rulings are final.

It seems the OP sort of created this mess by their own doing.  It is highly unusual to give a cruise line a credit card to charge on board expenses to, only to request the cruise line remove all charges and put them on another card.  If NCL had NOT honored this request, life would have been much simpler for the OP.  Spouses usually have joint accounts and share expenses so it makes this request even more unusual.  In any event, NCL honored their request AFTER the cruise.  The OP has failed to disclose what are "incidentals" that were charged afterwards.  Without an explanation, its wrong to guess.  Was the charge a hold?  Excursions that were not charged previously?  Common sense can yield a clue. If the charge is an even $300, this must be some sort of hold or another kind of surcharge?  Once I bought an NCL cruise certificate on a ship.  It was billed on my account but when I got home, the full amount was on the charge card that eventually disappeared.

The OP has failed to prove anything improper by NCL.  They actually went overboard with customer service by removing a full cruise expenses after a cruise to put them on another card.  OP also did not define incidentals or prove they were paid on the other card.  For example, if it was a meal at Cagneys or an excursion, it would be easy to prove.  Perhaps its a service fee for the request swap all expenses to another card?  Lesson learned.  NCL should have not honored the OP's request.  Few businesses would.  Could you imagine eating dinner at a restaurant and then going home to call the next day to request the charges be removed and added to another card?  Good luck with that.

Case dismissed

Now to be ranting and raving on another cruise about credit card disputes that you sort of created on a previous cruise is ridiculous.

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 9
  • Haha 1

Nobody seems to understand that there were no charges when we changed credit cards. We had not even boarded the ship.  Had NCL said that changing cards would have been an issue, we would have gladly retracted our request.

As far as complaining on the ship. I agree it is a desperate attempt to solve the problem, she is only trying to get someone to help us with a name or contact to for us to use moving forward.  My wife is having a lovely time. She has approached them once on the ship and that was it.  Please don't make comments based on assumptions. We are very reasonable people who rarely get involved in disputes such as this.   Customer service has fallen off the cliff in american business, it is up to indivdiuals like us to make sure it does not become extinct.

27 minutes ago, harert56 said:

Nobody seems to understand that there were no charges when we changed credit cards. We had not even boarded the ship.  Had NCL said that changing cards would have been an issue, we would have gladly retracted our request.

As far as complaining on the ship. I agree it is a desperate attempt to solve the problem, she is only trying to get someone to help us with a name or contact to for us to use moving forward.  My wife is having a lovely time. She has approached them once on the ship and that was it.  Please don't make comments based on assumptions. We are very reasonable people who rarely get involved in disputes such as this.   Customer service has fallen off the cliff in american business, it is up to indivdiuals like us to make sure it does not become extinct.

You seemed to cause this problem in the first place. Then your explanation is so convoluted I don’t blame them for not issuing a refund.  (If they even owe you anything to begin with)

22 hours ago, harert56 said:

"Hello, If I want to speak to a supervisor, make it happen".    I AM YOUR CUSTOMER!

It's been my experience that foot stampers are always the people that make the best impressions and usually get exactly what they have coming.

• Like 1

So the $300 is valid you're just complaining about which card it went on? (Which got confusing because you wanted to change cards.) 

You're having this must angst and upset over less than $10 of rewards?? Geeze I've let amounts less than that go as it wasn't worth an hour of my time to sort it out. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

So the $300 is valid you're just complaining about which card it went on? (Which got confusing because you wanted to change cards.) 

You're having this must angst and upset over less than $10 of rewards?? Geeze I've let amounts less than that go as it wasn't worth an hour of my time to sort it out. 

No that is not what the OP is complaining about.  His complaint is the $300 charge was on BOTH Cards.  Charged twice.

21 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

The wife is currently on a cruise trying to complain about their last cruise. The Guest Services on the current cruise is 100% correct in telling her that they can not do anything about a prior cruise. And that the wife needs to talk to the shore-based  guest services. 

There is NOTHING that the current cruise staff can do about a past cruise. It’s like yelling at a current flight attendant about a plane ride you took last week. 

That's what I thought too. I went to Guest Services for a charge mistakenly put on my account and they told me they would submit to Finance for a correction. It sounds like it's beyond the scope of Guest Services.

13 minutes ago, Oakman58 said:

No that is not what the OP is complaining about.  His complaint is the $300 charge was on BOTH Cards.  Charged twice.

However the reason for the chaos (changing cards) IS to get rewards/points. OP has stated that.

If the OP was so concerned about that in the beginning , shouldn't they have just used the  correct card to begin with?

Maybe I'm in the minority however I know what 💳 that works to my advantage "before" making purchases.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

However the reason for the chaos (changing cards) IS to get rewards/points. OP has stated that.

If the OP was so concerned about that in the beginning , shouldn't they have just used the  correct card to begin with?

Maybe I'm in the minority however I know what 💳 that works to my advantage "before" making purchases.

At the very least, with so little at stake when it came to the rewards (<$10) when I notice the amount being on the wrong card I would have just shrugged my shoulders and kept it on the card NCL charged. All this switching around is making it difficult by their charge being a needle in a haystack, and there could have been a glitch in the system that saw his card was refunded and then went to "fix" it by recharging him again. Complicated even further by the fact that he doesn't have the "correct" charge on any credit card in his name so he doesn't have proof to show Chase it is a "duplicate" charge*. I'm sure when NCL got his dispute they looked up his account and said nope we charged the right amount and sent that to Chase. 

*In credit card speak duplicate charges are when the company charges your card twice - the same card. As the other charge is not only on a different credit card but a credit card in his name, it's not seen as an easily disputed duplicate charge. 

This is something you'd have to sort out with NCL and it's complicated and convuluted so having all the info needed and being able to relay it concisely is a must. It took several posts before the OP correctly got his point across so I'm not surprised if NCL doesn't understand.

OP,  why not take both credit card statements, or print those pages from your computer, and your final bill from NCL to your bank and show them that NCL charged you the $300 on both cards.  Your final bill should show them that there was only one $300 amount that you owe.

I think your problem with NCL and on here, is that you are putting too much emotion into your conversations, emails, letters and these posts, that folks are not understanding what you are saying and what the issue is.

Wow, i really don`t get it.

The credit card which NCL uses for all charges should be changed due to getting some points(how many points can someone get that it is worth it) .This was not done by NCL at the time of shipping. So far so good.

But why wasn`t the correct credit card used from the beginning by the OP ?

What are the conditions of your bank? Usually this should be the problem of the bank.You roove that the charges are wrong/duplicate and then you should get the money back on your account and the bank must handle all the rest with NCL.

Also if you fight for them for months why did you book some more cruises with NCL?

If i would work in the responsible department at NCL and i would see that this customer still books cruises with my company,why should i react and solve it?

On 11/6/2019 at 2:06 PM, SeaShark said:

Anytime someone tries to resolve an issue, it is important that the issue be taken up at the right time, in the right place, and with the right person. That said...Frank Del Rio is the CEO of Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings (NCLH), which is a financial holding company. Andy Stuart* is the CEO of Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL), the company that operates cruise ships. You will be much better served to send your mail to the CEO of the correct company.

*Soon to be replaced by Harry Sommers as Andy is retiring at the end of the current year.

I was about to say something very similar.  

To the OP, it would seem you took all the right steps on the original cruise. I have on a number of occasions changed the card I entered when doing my E-docs to a different card when checking in for boarding. Your reason for changing cards is irrelevant, despite others feeling like your motivation is part of the issue. I make card changes depending on the USD-CAD exchange rate at the time as I have both a USD Visa and a CAD Visa and it's a sail date decision how I want to handle currency conversion. This is something NCL gives you the option to do and has the back-end system in place to do. I've never had the slightest issue with this and the check-in agents have always said it's very simple... the card you swipe overrides the card from your E-docs. So, in my experience, you haven't done anything out of the ordinary nor anything that should "confuse" NCLs back-end. Somewhere in here was an element of human error. Keep in mind, entering a CC at E-docs stage is a relatively new phenomenon... most of my cruising life you set up your ship-board account at check-in.

I would suggest some people on this thread are reacting to how strongly you've approach the topic... mistakes will happen at every cruise line. It's a big company that receives more complaints post-cruise (for every sailing) than any of us can probably imagine. From a credit card perspective you actually have not been double charged as that would be the same charge twice on the same card. You're out $300 and that sucks - I'd keep fighting it until resolution on principle alone. You are not entitled to extra effort from NCL because of how frequently you cruise... anyone out $300 should get the same attention. There is also blow-back from your own language in your first post about your wife's approach on the current cruise... you've walked it back in subsequent posts but my read of your original post about "no NCL love" being spread certainly made it sound like it was more than a one-time, quiet word your wife had with customer service.

I hope you get this situation resolved to your satisfaction... it sucks being stuck between to mega-institutions.

• Like 5

On 11/7/2019 at 4:02 AM, ziggyuk said:

If the charge on your credit card is a duplicate (and therefore NOT VALID) then Chase should do a chargeback and recover the money especially as they have not had a satisfactory explanation from NCL. I had a situation with an travel agent recently, my credit card company asked me to write them a letter giving them 14 days to resolve the issue and it they did not then the credit card company would intervene and recover all money, it was resolved by the travel agent on day 14! ........

OP was well past chargeback time when he finally contacted Chase.  Rules require that he contact within 60 days of the disputed item posting to his account.  He should have contacted the bank at least before September.

Edited by gadaboutgal

8 minutes ago, gadaboutgal said:

OP was well past chargeback time when he finally contacted Chase.  Rules require that he contact within 60 days of the disputed item posting to his account.  He should have contacted the bank at least before September.

Of course and you chose to convinienly edit my post to make that point.

The original poster said the duplicate charge was added after return and also did not say when they first contacted Chase.

That is exactly why I laid out the facts and said "If handled correctly".

The fact is the op has left out a lot of important information.

I'm not saying NCL didn't screw up somewhere along the line here... though I admit I'm a bit confused with everything.  It does feel like there may be some important details being omitted.  

The big red flag to me is that Chase Bank took a look at the case and denied your claim.  They probably have a fairly good reason for that.  But at this point I think the target of your ire should be Chase, not NCL.  I'd be more interested in why they've made their decision.

But meanwhile...

On 11/6/2019 at 2:51 PM, harert56 said:

"Hello, If I want to speak to a supervisor, make it happen".    I AM YOUR CUSTOMER!

On 11/6/2019 at 4:46 PM, harert56 said:

Customer service should be a priority for every passenger, but especially for a couple who has cruised 3 times in less than a  year.s time.

On 11/6/2019 at 4:58 PM, harert56 said:

If you owned a restaurant, would you want a disgruntled customer who got food poisoning without some sort of compensation, standing around discussing it with those who are waiting in line For a table. If I am a business owner....... I think not.

On 11/6/2019 at 5:11 PM, harert56 said:

3 cruises on NCL in 6 months.  That certainly would warrant attention if I owned NCL. 

HOLY ENTITLEMENT, BATMAN.

I can't imagine why you're having such a difficult time working with customer service when that's your approach.  

On 11/6/2019 at 4:58 PM, harert56 said:

We will try anything at this point. We have exhausted all options. Regarding the issue on the current ship , I agree that they don’t want to be bothered about an issue that occurred 6 months ago, but a supervisor could make an attempt to alert the proper dept within NCL.   If you owned a restaurant, would you want a disgruntled customer who got

food poisoning without some sort of compensation, standing around discussing it with those who are waiting in line For a table. If I am a business owner....... I think not.

As a person that may be "waiting in line for a table" or chilling in the hot tub, relaxing at the bar, waiting for a show to start, whatever, I don't need someone bitter about an error "poisoning my cruise."

This is the first time in my life I've been fortunate enough to go on three cruises in the space of a year. It is my vacation, I save for it, I look forward to it, and I savor it. Please reconsider being that "disgruntled customer standing around discussing it with those waiting in line for a table." Or encouraging your wife to do so.

• Like 1