Every cruise line has their hidden tricks. What's your favorite trick(s) on Norwegian?

cruiser4305

I know all of the tricks on HAL (embarkation lunch in the MDR, happy hours, clear the mini bar, free spa room) and CCL (drink match plays, get your liquor delivered on the last night) but this will be my first time on Norwegian (Sun). What should an experienced cruiser but first-time Norwegianer know (besides how to spell Norwegianer)?

I like the embarkation day lunch in the MDR (Seven Seas).  This is aft and the window views are awesome and it's far less busy than the other MDR or the buffet.  Also, you can walk all the way around the ship on the outside for morning exercise (deck 6, I think).  There is a cool little wood paneled bar/lounge tucked behind the Bliss lounge that has a very nice old world cruising vibe.  I hope you enjoy the Sun!

The buffet on Sun is very small and people tend to camp out there.  There is a great outdoors just aft with seating and food.  Also Moderno serves limited lunch and breakfast items next to buffet.  Forward lounge is nice.

Mini suites are probably best in the fleet.

• Like 1

Some of the tricks depend on the ship on which you're sailing and the itinerary.

Some for the Bliss/Joy/Encore - 

Embarkation day lunch - The Local

Meal reservations (if you can't get them online) - find a touchscreen near the elevators as soon as you get on board.

Tender reservations - touchscreen near the elevators again, also on embarkation day

Pick up boxes of cereal, a bowl, spoon and  small cartons of milk from the buffet

every few days and keep in your cabin.

Then you can watch the news while eating your breakfast and not have to get dressed a few of the days.

No need to order room service.

• Like 1

I order chocolate covered strawberries delivered to our cabin a few different days.    You can do this before you depart online when you register.

Bring your own straws.    

Bring your own mask and snorkel, NCL wants a ridiculous price to rent them at the private island.

If you're not doing the drink package, bring a couple bottles of wine onboard with you and pay corkage $15.   It will be the biggest bargain of the cruise.   NCL has increased drink prices, they are outrageous.   I had a martini.....$25.   Girlfriend had a double shot of Bailey's $25.

Book the comedian, hypnotist, dueling piano shows as soon as you get on board.   These are the best shows on NCL now days!   The main theater shows are not what they used to be.   Not at all.   

I always bring a package of chocolate mints now to put on the pillows at night for my dh and kids.   We've been cruising a long time and everyone would be disappointed if I didn't pull thru with that one.

I can't speak to the Sun, but I will tell you a few tips and tricks for the line. 

Sign up for your roll call, and if they are having a meet and greet, go.  NCL does a great job with the meet and greets, and you will get contact information for each of the officers. If you have any problem, contact the officer in charge of that area.

Yes to boarding day lunch in MDR.  Also take advantage of lunch or breakfast there when served:  it is a relaxed (ok..slow) way to spend part of your day...and a very different vibe from the cafeteria.

Take the time to meet your bartenders.  Stop at a bar when it isn't packed, and ask them where they are from, how long they have been working on cruise line, what drink they recommend.   Learn their names.  If you are so inclined, tip them $1 per drink in cash.  Two days later, when you are third in line at the bar waiting for a drink, they will ask you what  you want and wait on you immediately.  The bartenders are truly amazing people.  We have had bartenders remember us by drink if not by name after sailing with them on a different ship two years ago.

The menu on the MDRs has two pages of entrees.   The page on the left switches each night.   The page on the right does not.  If there is something you are a little intrigued about on the left hand side, this is your only chance to get it.   The stuff on the right hand side will be there the next night and the night after that.   

IMO...NCL does not excel at chocolate.   But anything flan, custard, etc. is top notch.   Your mileage may very, but I have left a sad amount of chocolate dessert on a plate because it wasn't ...  I don't know...  good?

If there is more than one MDR, they serve the same thing, so you don't need to walk to each to compare the menu.

The shows in the main theater are almost always worth attending.   And they are free, so why not?  The first show is usually a a showcase of samples of what is to come during the cruise.  

Bottled water is extremely overpriced, bring your own bottle and fill it on board.

Have fun and enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FitchburgWIFamily said:

The page on the left switches each night.   The page on the right does not.  If there is something you are a little intrigued about on the left hand side, this is your only chance to get it.   The stuff on the right hand side will be there the next night and the night after that.   

I think this is reversed.  I seem to recall the "standards" being on the left with the "specials" on the right.

Just verified on a site with the menus posted...

21 minutes ago, hallux said:

I think this is reversed.  I seem to recall the "standards" being on the left with the "specials" on the right.

Just verified on a site with the menus posted...

Ack!   OK...so I am left and right challenged apparently.     

Thanks for checking with the pictures.

• Haha 1