Disembarkment Sickness MdDS

Elevatorman

Today’s Washington Post has an excellent article about this Syndrome.  Feeling fine when onboard and being very seasick when your cruise is over can last for days and sometimes longer. I experienced this only A few times and it is awful. For me it stared when I took the patch off. I have never used a scopolamine patch since that first time, and though I had MdDS a few times in over 50 cruises, It’s been many years since. 
Treatment is the same for seasickness, stay hydrated, eat lightly if you can. They used to think it was inner ear related, but now a brain issue. It’s a little mysterious.

• Thanks 1

That happened to me when I got off our last cruise. I took off the patch and forgot that my doctor had suggested I keep it on for a couple of days after I got off the ship. I immediately got sick. I was mortified because we were with my in laws and I thought for sure they’d think I was tipsy. 

I don't use any medication for seasickness, but I have experienced this illness several times over the years.  I remember one time I had to hold on to the shower wall (in my home) because I couldn't keep my balance.  Luckily, its only been a few times, but I never know when it will happen again.

I don't need anti-seasickness medication, but the very first time I cruised in 1983 on an old ship, I felt fine onboard and then ran into walls for 3+ weeks after the cruise. The vertigo was severe enough that I went to my MD thinking I had a brain tumor. Luckily, he had been on a cruise within that year and had had the same issue so he reassured me. He put me on Antivert and a diuretic and I gradually improved. I didn't cruise again for 8 years. Luckily, I tried it again and had less of an issue and over the years have been fine during and post-cruise (except for seasickness a couple of times during very rough seas). I always blamed the post cruise vertigo on the earlier ships not having the advanced stabilizers that they now have, since it is a non-issue for me now.

The only time I notice something out of whack is when I play golf the day after a cruise, I'll be looking down at the ball before swinging and I feel a little rocking motion. Never have been seasick and the golf thing doesn't happen all the time.

Edited by MISTER 67