Last minute price drop ...no compensation

russandcheryl

We sail dec 14 on windsurf 

there is a large price drop ... about $400 per person. 
I called and agent said ...nope can’t do anything ... no onboard credit or upgrade 

and since under 30 days would lose 50% to cancel and rebook. 
Anyone had same experience? 
doesn’t pay the book in advance ... just offer some on board credit and we would be happy.

Windstar has a 90-day price assurance policy. I think that's pretty reasonable. Those who book last minute have to take the categories and cabin locations that are left. Prices might go up instead of dropping so waiting to book last minute only works when you are willing to take or leave the cruise depending on whether price goes up or down and leave other arrangements to the last minute too. 

Our Panama Canal and Costa Rica cruise last January had a last minute price drop too. We had already gotten fare reductions for a couple of price drops that occurred more than 90-days in advance. I didn't feel bad about not getting the last price reduction. 

• Like 1

I’m not sure what you’re looking for. The T&Cs are clear. 90 days. 

That dare is meant for last minute travelers and allows WS to fill up unsold cabins. If they open that fare to everyone they lose millions of dollars. 

There are many reasons to book early - your choice of cabin, your itinerary, ability to book airfare early, plan your trip, etc.  

the reason to book late is really only one thing. Cheap. So, for the people who have the flexibility to book last minute there are bargains to be had. But, you can’t have your cake and eat it too. 

With WS you never know. Our cruise on 1/18 is more than a $1000 pp than what we paid a year out.  When you buy is personal: work, family, circumstances, we all have to take   that into consideration. Flights almost always are more the later you wait. I am a miles person with no status, for Europe we have to reserve business 332 days out. For next fall we had to reserve preferred economy 332 days out ( ran out if miles ). I think if I average it all out over the years I come out ok, plus I have had great experiences. Besides I am grateful I can go on WS and trying to figure it all out is fun and for us we appreciate the experience more. I would rather pay a bit more to WS than flying for that is truly a miserable experience always. Since the NE' s bad weather and my time anxiety I know if I reserve early I get the hotel reservations I want as well,  for us it makes it all the more special. Happy Sailing to one and all.

1 hour ago, Strenz said:

With WS you never know. Our cruise on 1/18 is more than a $1000 pp than what we paid a year out.  When you buy is personal: work, family, circumstances, we all have to take   that into consideration. Flights almost always are more the later you wait. I am a miles person with no status, for Europe we have to reserve business 332 days out. For next fall we had to reserve preferred economy 332 days out ( ran out if miles ). I think if I average it all out over the years I come out ok, plus I have had great experiences. Besides I am grateful I can go on WS and trying to figure it all out is fun and for us we appreciate the experience more. I would rather pay a bit more to WS than flying for that is truly a miserable experience always. Since the NE' s bad weather and my time anxiety I know if I reserve early I get the hotel reservations I want as well,  for us it makes it all the more special. Happy Sailing to one and all.

Airfare, preferred seats on the plane, hotel res, shore excursions from top-rated providers – not to mention the particular cabin on the ship that I want.  So many reasons to book early.  Someone else gets a cheaper cruise fare/airfare/hotel rate than me?  Good on them – but they risked not getting the experience at all.

42 minutes ago, wripro said:

What if you bought a TV a few weeks ago for $1000? Now there's a sale on the same TV for $200 less. Do you think you can go to the store and ask for the difference? Why should a cruise fare be any different?

Depends on the store policy. If it was from Best Buy and within refund and exchange period, you can go to the store and get the difference under their price match guarantee policy. So if it was within the time when the TV was returnable, I would expect them to comply with their policy, just as I would expect Windstar to comply with their policy.

Windstar policy is to make adjustments (fare reduction, upgrade or OBC) if their is a price drop up to 90 days in advance. When there is a drop less than 90 days before the cruise, I wouldn't expect a price adjustment.

Then let’s think of 90 days as Windstar’s “exchange period.” Most retail stores (a rough business these days) don’t allow price reduction capture for 90 days anyway. The OP’s dissatisfaction is not appropriate. The rules were fully disclosed. You can’t have your cake and eat it, too. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We booked almost a year in advance on board.  The price went down on their one week sale several months later and called them. Had no problems. They adjusted the price. The price went down again the day before our final pmt was due ( $800) and they gave us an on board credit for the difference. I am very happy with their policy even if it goes down more without an adjustment. We got the cabin and the itinerary we wanted. I have booked our last four cruises directly with them and had no problems.