What the heck is a president’s cruise?

meghan74

Just found out through a thread on here that we’ve inadvertently booked ourselves on the 2020 president’s cruise. I haven’t been able to find much information. What makes this different from a regular cruise? I get that there are special events that we won’t have access to as we are merely Gold, but we don’t really care about any of that since we booked the cruise for the ports. I did the longer version of this itinerary on the Symphony in 2018 and had a wonderful

time with nothing but the basics - no specialty dining, saw the “normal” shows, spent literally $0 on board, lol - and we loved it. I’m hoping we’ll largely be able to ignore the president’s cruise part of the cruise, if you know what I mean. Can someone put my mind at ease? We’re booked with a non-refundable deposit so there’s no turning back now. 

ETA: I booked an interior GTY back in June because I’m one of those people who couldn’t care less where I sleep as long as I have a bed on the ship. We’re really quite low maintenance. That said, if we were offered the chance to make a Royal Up bid for an ocean view, we would jump on it. Are we unlikely to even get a chance to bid with such a full ship? 

Edited by meghan74

1 minute ago, John&LaLa said:

Not one from San Juan😉

Too many port days anyway. 

OP- My opinion based on not ever having done a President's cruise is that there will be a lot of activities, and lots and lots of experienced cruisers. I bet it will not affect you much if you are going for the ports, using the MDR, etc. John would know more about if there are a lot of activities and venues closed off to those below Diamond.

• Thanks 1

A President's cruise is where people that believe Royal Caribbean are part of their family rather than just a vacation provider go to celebrate how much money they have given the cruise line in exchange for a couple of free gins in the evening

Just joking - They are good fun. Old crowd through

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

15 hours ago, meghan74 said:

Just found out through a thread on here that we’ve inadvertently booked ourselves on the 2020 president’s cruise. I haven’t been able to find much information. What makes this different from a regular cruise? I get that there are special events that we won’t have access to as we are merely Gold, but we don’t really care about any of that since we booked the cruise for the ports. I did the longer version of this itinerary on the Symphony in 2018 and had a wonderful

time with nothing but the basics - no specialty dining, saw the “normal” shows, spent literally $0 on board, lol - and we loved it. I’m hoping we’ll largely be able to ignore the president’s cruise part of the cruise, if you know what I mean. Can someone put my mind at ease? We’re booked with a non-refundable deposit so there’s no turning back now. 

ETA: I booked an interior GTY back in June because I’m one of those people who couldn’t care less where I sleep as long as I have a bed on the ship. We’re really quite low maintenance. That said, if we were offered the chance to make a Royal Up bid for an ocean view, we would jump on it. Are we unlikely to even get a chance to bid with such a full ship? 

Ditto!

Booked an inside G too as we're on the week before too and it's port heavy!

6 hours ago, compman9 said:

A President's cruise is where people that believe Royal Caribbean are part of their family rather than just a vacation provider go to celebrate how much money they have given the cruise line in exchange for a couple of free gins in the evening

Just joking - They are good fun. Old crowd through

I will be traveling with my mother this time. We’ll fit right in with the older crowd!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

@meghan74 this thread explains what it's like.

This years version was also known as the 50th Birthday Cruise. 

thanks John! I did read the entire thread and found it quite helpful. My concern is that it’s not as much fun for people who are not diamonds and higher. But, as I said, I’m not there for specific shows or venues so I probably don’t need to be so worried about this. 

1 hour ago, ZiggaZagga17 said:

Ditto!

Booked an inside G too as we're on the week before too and it's port heavy!

I’m feeling better about it today. With only one sea day and knowing we’ll be so tired when returning from port days, I think we’ll barely notice the special events. I’m traveling with my mom instead of my spouse this time and expect we’ll be in the early to bed, early to rise crowd and will be largely oblivious to anything going on after 9:30pm! 

4 minutes ago, meghan74 said:

thanks John! I did read the entire thread and found it quite helpful. My concern is that it’s not as much fun for people who are not diamonds and higher. But, as I said, I’m not there for specific shows or venues so I probably don’t need to be so worried about this. 

There is another review of the same cruise that is by someone who is not pinnacle.  Might want to check that out too for a different perspective.

18 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Not one from San Juan😉

Whaaat??!!  John, don't burst my bubble...I am on Vision for three weeks in January!  😮  

Just kidding anyway...been on quite a few out of PR...had fun on all of them.  Guess I got lucky.  😉 

Edited by island lady

OP:  I ended up doing the same thing...had booked the 25th before the announcement came out.  

I look at it this way:  I can't officially comment on whether I will like a President's cruise or not, unless I actually experience it myself.  Trying new things is always an adventure....good or bad.  Afterwards...yeah...then I will have an opinion on yea or nay.  😉 

1 minute ago, CruisingCrewsers said:

What is wrong with a PR departure? My first cruise is next May aboard the Freedom.

Nothing that I can see.  It's quite a treat starting the cruise already in the Caribbean. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Nothing that I can see.  It's quite a treat starting the cruise already in the Caribbean. 

We all have opinions, ours is not quite as sunny.

I honestly cannot think of a single situation where we will cruise on a SJ based ship ever again. 3 times was more than enough.

I might do a repo that ends there.

1 hour ago, island lady said:

OP:  I ended up doing the same thing...had booked the 25th before the announcement came out.  

I look at it this way:  I can't officially comment on whether I will like a President's cruise or not, unless I actually experience it myself.  Trying new things is always an adventure....good or bad.  Afterwards...yeah...then I will have an opinion on yea or nay.  😉 

You have a good attitude, i also try and not comment on things I've never tried. 

Obvious things not included. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1