Change in Panorama Steakhouse Wine Promo?

OC SeaPA

48 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

it has never been the intent of the program. 

I'm sure that you are right, but Carnival could limit the 50% off to one bottle for the table or for each person, if they wanted to. If they don't limit it, people might as well take advantage, and most places where I have sold wine would still be making some money on most bottles even at 50% off the normal retail price.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mutumbojimbo said:

I'm sure that you are right, but Carnival could limit the 50% off to one bottle for the table or for each person, if they wanted to. If they don't limit it, people might as well take advantage, and most places where I have sold wine would still be making some money on most bottles even at 50% off the normal retail price.

I originally asked the question, but have cancelled our reservation for the first night.  this is a family cruise, and I'd rather spend the $ on a few nice bottles of wine or the premium package, than the steakhouse with children that aren't good eaters, and a DH that is on a very limited diet.  i thought with the bottle savings we could do both, but i guess not. 

My comment- although alot have taken advantage of this "promo" in the past, is it likely the Steakhouse on the Panorama won't honor it?  It seems likely, so rather than spend $200 for a meal 1/2 won't enjoy....  Several others on our cruise have also cancelled their first night reservation, although they have done multiple bottles on past cruises. 

Come December, when the Panorama starts sailing, if anyone can answer this question I'd appreciate it.  Our cruise is Jan 4th. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OC SeaPA said:

I originally asked the question, but have cancelled our reservation for the first night.  this is a family cruise, and I'd rather spend the $ on a few nice bottles of wine or the premium package, than the steakhouse with children that aren't good eaters, and a DH that is on a very limited diet.  i thought with the bottle savings we could do both, but i guess not. 

My comment- although alot have taken advantage of this "promo" in the past, is it likely the Steakhouse on the Panorama won't honor it?  It seems likely, so rather than spend $200 for a meal 1/2 won't enjoy....  Several others on our cruise have also cancelled their first night reservation, although they have done multiple bottles on past cruises. 

Come December, when the Panorama starts sailing, if anyone can answer this question I'd appreciate it.  Our cruise is Jan 4th. 

If people are going to cancel if they cannot get half off wine for the duration then I hope Carnival does adhere to the what they intended.  For the record, they would be “honoring” what they advertised.  Can you expand on how the meal costs $200?  

2 hours ago, OC SeaPA said:

I'm afraid that I cannot answer you as we board on January 11, but I will say, for me, the Steakhouse is something that our family enjoys as a special dinner.  The wine promo is a bonus, not the reason for dining.  

I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the Panorama...since we board right after you!  🙂

• Like 2

11 hours ago, EllaDuChien said:

I'm afraid that I cannot answer you as we board on January 11, but I will say, for me, the Steakhouse is something that our family enjoys as a special dinner.  The wine promo is a bonus, not the reason for dining.  

I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the Panorama...since we board right after you!  🙂

Nice post

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Either a free bottle of wine of there choice or 50% off of a wine of your choice.

I never wanted both.  I want the 50% off wine.  Last time it was not limited to only one bottle(we bought 3) at 50% off.  But if it is now I will still take the 50% off bottle over the house wine which IMO is terrible.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

I honestly didn't realize people went to the Steakhouse on the first night to load up on Wine for the entire cruise..... 

We bought 3 bottles, which I would not consider 'loading' up for the entire cruise.  One bottle can easily be consumed in one dinner between two people.  So we bought wine for three dinners on a 7 night cruise.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nissach said:

I never wanted both.  I want the 50% off wine.  Last time it was not limited to only one bottle(we bought 3) at 50% off.  But if it is now I will still take the 50% off bottle over the house wine which IMO is terrible.

Did I say You wanted both?  The point was and still is it is for consuming in the steakhouse, not buying wine for the cruise at 1/2 price.  

2 hours ago, I Luv Crusin said:

We've done this.  I guess it gets tiring for the staff to babysit all the bottles of wine.  Another cutback...

Not. There has not been a change so by definition it cannot be a cutback.  That said, if it makes you feel better to say it even if untrue, have at it.  Do you have a list of “perceived” cutbacks 

Edited by jimbo5544

3 hours ago, I Luv Crusin said:

We've done this.  I guess it gets tiring for the staff to babysit all the bottles of wine.  Another cutback...

Why does staff have to "babysit" your bottles? You can take them back to your cabin to enjoy

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

Did I say You wanted both?  The point was and still is it is for consuming in the steakhouse, not buying wine for the cruise at 1/2 price.  

Well, for us the point is enjoying a dinner at the SH, on the first night, so we can also take advantage of the 50% off bottle(s).  For us, it is a nice way to start our cruise enjoying a delicious dinner and good service and to take advantage of a promotion that Carnival offers.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, coevan said:

Why does staff have to "babysit" your bottles? You can take them back to your cabin to enjoy

We were not given the option(not to say it was not an option) to take them back to our room, but they would keep them for us in the MD to enjoy when we had dinner.  But it seems that everyone has had different options given to them??

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, nissach said:

We were not given the option(not to say it was not an option) to take them back to our room, but they would keep them for us in the MD to enjoy when we had dinner.  But it seems that everyone has had different options given to them??

It's the same in the MDR. They always give you the option to keep it and have the rest another night; it is seen as a nice service. But you bought their wine and paid their price so you can do it either way you want to. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, amyotravel said:

It's the same in the MDR. They always give you the option to keep it and have the rest another night; it is seen as a nice service. But you bought their wine and paid their price so you can do it either way you want to. 

I will know to ask now.  Thanks!

22 minutes ago, nissach said:

Well, for us the point is enjoying a dinner at the SH, on the first night, so we can also take advantage of the 50% off bottle(s).  For us, it is a nice way to start our cruise enjoying a delicious dinner and good service and to take advantage of a promotion that Carnival offers.

First of all, I do not make the rules, I am simply telling you what they are and what their intent is (You can like that or not or use it as intended or not, it is your cruise.  

Secondly, I have no issue with anything you said.  Now if you said you were going to abuse the promotion and take back extra, that is fine with me as well, it is not my wine. 

15 minutes ago, amyotravel said:

As long as they agree, yes.  If denied multiple bottles (which is what the Thread is about) than no. Of course someone who orders wine and does not finish it has the option of taking it back to their ca in or having it delivered to their MDR table.  

55 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

As long as they agree, yes.  If denied multiple bottles (which is what the Thread is about) than no. Of course someone who orders wine and does not finish it has the option of taking it back to their ca in or having it delivered to their MDR table.  

Yes, I meant an open bottle that was purchased but has only one or two glasses consumed from it. 

• Like 1

On 11/20/2019 at 12:37 PM, jimbo5544 said:

Not. There has not been a change so by definition it cannot be a cutback.  That said, if it makes you feel better to say it even if untrue, have at it.  Do you have a list of “perceived” cutbacks 

I was being facetious.  Everyone seems worried about cutbacks.  I do think that it must be hard keeping track of all the partial used bottles and unopened bottles.  We have had trouble with waiters retrieving our bottles. I've never asked to take it back to the cabin because we like wine with dinner.  

• Like 2

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 12:48 PM, coevan said:

someone posted, not long ago, they bought 4 bottles including Dom Perignon and posted the receipt.

I'd like to clarify (add to) this . . . .

The couple you are referring to would be dining in the Steakhouse each and every evening of that sailing, without exception.  They would be enjoying a nice wine pairing with their nightly meals.  It was a party of 2 each evening.

The way the promotion is offered, it would be not only convenient, but financially beneficial, to order the additional bottles of wine on that first evening that would be consumed on the following nights in that exact same location. Yes, there will be some who'll call this 'playing the system', but I personally think it was a savvy (and brilliant) use of the benefit that is/was offered. The Steakhouse managers had no problem offering this to long-term loyalty passengers.

• Thanks 1

The first time we took advantage of the 50% off offer on the Glory, my wife and I drank 1 bottle that night in the steakhouse and our waiter allowed us to purchase a second bottle at the same discount and stored it so we could enjoy it in the MDR later in the cruise. 

We tried the same thing on our next cruise on the Breeze, and our waiter said only 1 bottle is allowed.  

Finally on our next cruise on the Miracle, our waiter allowed us to buy a second bottle at a discount.

It seems to be a cruise-time decision, which doesn't bother me any.  We enjoy our cruise either way.  Hell, we're on vacation, if we want a drink at dinner, we buy it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DGP1111 said:

I'd like to clarify (add to) this . . . .

The couple you are referring to would be dining in the Steakhouse each and every evening of that sailing, without exception.  They would be enjoying a nice wine pairing with their nightly meals.  It was a party of 2 each evening.

The way the promotion is offered, it would be not only convenient, but financially beneficial, to order the additional bottles of wine on that first evening that would be consumed on the following nights in that exact same location. Yes, there will be some who'll call this 'playing the system', but I personally think it was a savvy (and brilliant) use of the benefit that is/was offered. The Steakhouse managers had no problem offering this to long-term loyalty passengers.

I know the couple (actually the guy) and have no issue with their motivation, but where do we draw the line?  The promotion is not “offered’ that way, but a particular SH manager allowed it, big difference.