Bringing Wine Aboard

shoregirl2612

42 minutes ago, leela8 said:

the reason I am asking is I paid for corkage on the Zuiderdam and never brought the bottle to the dinning room. I actually brought the bottle home with me. It had a round orange sticker on it. I kept the sticker because I paid 18.00 for it. I know it's petty but I am going on Konningsdam in Jan. I was thinking of putting the sticker on a bottle so I can bring it to the dinning room. 

By mistake I brought a half filled bottle of Veuve Cliqout (it was my birthday) to Canaletto, no one said a thing even though I did not realize it did not have a sticker.  We did not finish it all in the cabin.😉

Our sticker was blue BTW.  I have a feeling that they change the stickers?🙄

55 minutes ago, Judyrem said:

Our sticker was blue BTW.  I have a feeling that they change the stickers

They do.  I’ve seen blue and I’ve seen other colours.

Hard to know what any ship will have for any specific cruise.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Motor City said:

Also, how do you chill your whites?

Do drop them early to the MDR?

Thanks for the info!

Our fridge chilled enough and I asked them to ice it in the DR, CO or Tamarind.  We only had the same wine steward in CO.

16 hours ago, Motor City said:

Also, how do you chill your whites?

Do drop them early to the MDR?

Thanks for the info!

our fridge also kept our white wines perfectly chilled. And the only wine steward, who dealt with our white wines, automatically put them on ice to keep them chilled, we did not even need to ask him.

• Like 1

If the wine is for in cabin usage....let’s say on the balcony....and not taken to dinning venues....is there still a corkage fee ? 
we will have the signature package but we have no idea what wines would be available for us.

anyone know if you can upgrade your package ? We received ours as an early booking perk.

and lastly....can you pick a higher price wine outside of the package and pay the 

difference like on Celebrity ?

thanks ! 
Brockmom

Yes. We did this when taking a longer cruise, and traveling with friends.  We went wine shopping before we got on the ship, hand carried them on (you have to...) and paid the corkage fee.  It WAS cheaper and better quality wine.  

That being said, when you get to 3 and 4 star Mariner status, it is easier to buy a wine package with the discount (25 and or 50 %) and save the hassle of lugging in extra wine -- especially for a 7 day cruise.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, brockmom said:

If the wine is for in cabin usage....let’s say on the balcony....and not taken to dinning venues....is there still a corkage fee ? 
we will have the signature package but we have no idea what wines would be available for us.

anyone know if you can upgrade your package ? We received ours as an early booking perk.

and lastly....can you pick a higher price wine outside of the package and pay the 

difference like on Celebrity ?

thanks ! 
Brockmom

Each adult is allowed to bring one bottle of wine with no corkage fee if the wine is consumed in the cabin.

If you have the SBP and you chose a wine that is more than $11, you will be charged the full amount, not just the difference.

I have read that you may be able to  upgrade your beverage package once on board, ask a bartender.

Hope this info helps.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shoregirl2612 said:

So, we have a wine bag like canadarocks, but have never used it to fly. How well do you pack your bottles? Or does the bag work? And BTW, we are not major wine connoisseurs, but we have a daughter in the business! 

I appreciate all the tips! 

I get wine at my home wine shop, check my wine bag at the airport, usually stuff some extra t-shirts at the top...traveled both domestic and international,,,never had a problem.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, shoregirl2612 said:

So, we have a wine bag like canadarocks, but have never used it to fly. How well do you pack your bottles? Or does the bag work?

I don't believe that soft-sided bag should be checked and also would be too large to fit the cage for carryon, even if you brought it empty and filled it from the dutyfree shop (which would not be a benefit for cost IMO). A bottle of wine is too large to go through security.

Any of the bags shown (mine or CR's) are only good for driving to the port. Hmm. dnk about taking the train, which we are going to do in March...

I have seen a case-sized box-bag that was intended to be checkable. It was incredibly padded between and around the bottles and it was incredibly expensive to my way of thinking. Here is one:

Vin Garde Valise

There are also individual padded sacks for putting one or a few bottles padded with your own clothes in checked bags. They are liquid-tight if the bottle breaks!

Wine Wings

1 hour ago, crystalspin said:

I don't believe that soft-sided bag should be checked and also would be too large to fit the cage for carryon, even if you brought it empty and filled it from the dutyfree shop (which would not be a benefit for cost IMO). A bottle of wine is too large to go through security.

Any of the bags shown (mine or CR's) are only good for driving to the port. Hmm. dnk about taking the train, which we are going to do in March...

I have seen a case-sized box-bag that was intended to be checkable. It was incredibly padded between and around the bottles and it was incredibly expensive to my way of thinking. Here is one:

Vin Garde Valise

There are also individual padded sacks for putting one or a few bottles padded with your own clothes in checked bags. They are liquid-tight if the bottle breaks!

Wine Wings

How long is your train ride? If it's overnight and you have a bedroom, there should be plenty of room. If you have a roomette, there isn't going to be much extra room for the wine carrier. 

2 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Vin Garde Valise

Wine Wings

Again, I have flown with that exact bag that CR uses(12 bottle rolling bag) pretty much all over the world...I do usually shove some clothing at the top and sometimes along the sides to fill in any gaps...But the sections between the bottles are already padded, as well as top/bottom/sides....Just took a case to Malta, with no issues. Not to say there could NOT be an issue, just that I haven't had any.

I'm also usually not flying around with first growth Bordeaux's, so IF a bottle were to break, it wouldn't break my heart.

Edited by Motor City
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Motor City said:

I have flown with that exact bag that CR uses(12 bottle rolling bag) pretty much all over the world...I do usually shove some clothing at the top and sometimes along the sides to fill in any gaps...But the sections between the bottles are already padded, as well as top/bottom/sides....

That is interesting to know! I never would have thought to chance it. 

@3rdGenCunarderOur train will be the Pacific Surfliner commuter train from Orange County to San Diego. No roomette, but I'm thinking Business for a seat/treat/and maybe better space for our luggage. BUT, whichever class of seat, the baggage allowance is Amtrak's standard: two personal items, 25 lbs. (12 kg) and 14 x 11 x 7 inches each, and two carry-on items, 50 lbs. (23 kg) and 28 x 22 x 14 inches each, onboard. That's twice what we can manage! 

I'll be looking into the 3* discount on wine packages. We're not so particular that we would have trouble finding something we could drink!

26 minutes ago, Irish110 said:

If you bring extra wine onboard and pay corkage fee before you board, can you then bring that wine to the dining room, Pinnacle Grill, etc. and not have to pay another corkage fee? 

Yes. 

2 hours ago, crystalspin said:

That is interesting to know! I never would have thought to chance it. 

@3rdGenCunarderOur train will be the Pacific Surfliner commuter train from Orange County to San Diego. No roomette, but I'm thinking Business for a seat/treat/and maybe better space for our luggage. BUT, whichever class of seat, the baggage allowance is Amtrak's standard: two personal items, 25 lbs. (12 kg) and 14 x 11 x 7 inches each, and two carry-on items, 50 lbs. (23 kg) and 28 x 22 x 14 inches each, onboard. That's twice what we can manage! 

I'll be looking into the 3* discount on wine packages. We're not so particular that we would have trouble finding something we could drink!

Business on Amtrak is often a surprisingly small upcharge. You get more legroom and on some trains a really comfortable seat in a 2/1 configuration instead of 2/2. I don't know how the west coast trains are, but on the east coast there's good space for luggage. 

Amtrak's luggage allowance is generous and, depending on your stations, they do checked luggage. I always laugh at "carry on" luggage have a limit of 50 pounds per piece. I think they call it that because you have to carry it onto the train if you're at a station without red caps.  

Sorry for the delay in responding.... I forgot to "follow" this thread (miss the days when we didn't need to!).

We fly with the wine suitcase empty and load it up at Total Wine in Fort Lauderdale before boarding. Next year we'll load it at Wine Bank in San Diego before our Hawaii cruise. The company we bought it from doesn't recommend flying with it pre-packed with wine, so we haven't chanced it.

Very interesting to read the Motor City has indeed flown with it already loaded with wine successfully! 🙂 

That's a good plan when leaving from FLL. You do know you can order on line and have the wine waiting for a quick check out?

The train station is quite close to the cruise port in San Diego, it would be quite unlikely with my luck that I could pick up wine right there... but will have to research and decide if there is a way to drop bags and head back out for the wine!

On 11/15/2019 at 2:08 PM, shoregirl2612 said:

I have a question, has anyone tried to bring more than there allowed 2 bottles of wine? I looked at the wine package and for the quality, they are charging a lot. We figure it's cheaper to buy our own wine, and pay the corkage fee for the bottles than buy their package. As anyone tried this?  Any info would be appreciated!  Thanks!

We brought 3 bottles on board on our last cruise and paid corkage for one. We brought that bottle to the MDR and they stored it for us. I only drink one glass with dinner and they had it on the table waiting for me each night . Saved a bundle even paying the corkage. I only wish they would suck the air out when they cork it..

8 hours ago, crystalspin said:

The train station is quite close to the cruise port in San Diego, it would be quite unlikely with my luck that I could pick up wine right there... but will have to research and decide if there is a way to drop bags and head back out for the wine!

You can certainly drop your bags at the cruise port (assuming nothing has changed) and then head out for wine.

Wine Bank had some lovely choices 🙂 

8 hours ago, crystalspin said:

That's a good plan when leaving from FLL. You do know you can order on line and have the wine waiting for a quick check out?

Someone from our October 20th Roll Call flew in from Phoenix the same day as our cruise, dropped her bags with the porters, and then took an Uber to Ralph’s Market, which is close to the cruise terminal. You can walk it in 15 minutes. And they have a great selection.

And Ralph’s was having a super special 30% off, if you bought 6 bottles. Maybe they will have something similar going on, when you visit.

And Kazu’s suggestion is also good. The Wine Bank is a bit further, but still doable in an Uber/Lyft/taxi.

Edited by cat shepard

17 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Wine Wings

Or, try searching amazon for 'wine diapers'.  Reusable, sealed, and lined with diaper material to absorb any 'leaks'.   The diaper material also serves as a cushion.

• Like 2