Noway coast scenery question

Sallyandtex

We were on Hurtigruten in March and IIRC we were only out of sight of shore one day. It was stunning.  I've posted a goodly number of photos on the Hurtigruten board.  We loved it so much that we're going back next spring.  But it's a very different line than O. If you want "la-dee-dah" then don't do Hurtigruten.  

12 minutes ago, clo said:

We were on Hurtigruten in March and IIRC we were only out of sight of shore one day. It was stunning.  I've posted a goodly number of photos on the Hurtigruten board.  We loved it so much that we're going back next spring.  But it's a very different line than O. If you want "la-dee-dah" then don't do Hurtigruten.  

Thankyou!

We sailed close to land a couple of days. Once between Alesund and our next port and then as we passed by Nord Capp returning from Russia. Except for our day trip up into the fjords, we were always well out to sea otherwise.

To dump their waste tanks a ship has to be 50 K from land is what Cpt Max told us on a that cruise. So depending upon most factors they’ll always go out as much as possible.

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

To dump their waste tanks a ship has to be 50 K from land is what Cpt Max told us on a that cruise. So depending upon most factors they’ll always go out as much as possible.

+1

Another issue is that the Ship cannot use its Internet Antenna when within range of land-based services.

However will mummy and daddy Skype with their precious poopsie?

I agree Norway is better than Chile, but only by the slightest margin. My take is that there is more green in Norway and the shore excursions are more diversified. We actually did both on Silversea and certainly did not have to worry about size. On both cruises we were never out of sightseeing distance. 

To the OP we passed Hurtigruten everyday, so unless they have changed their itinerary I would not be too concerned about your viewing opportunities. 

• Like 1

We've explored the Norwegian coast on the Azamara Quest (ship is the same as Oceania R class ships), the Viking Sky,  and the Hurtigruten Polarlys. Hurtigruten makes many more stops (often quite brief) so it may stay within sight of land more of the time than larger traditional cruise ships. But you'll have splendid scenery either way.

Edited by JDincalif
  • Thanks 1

We've been to fjords in Norway, Chile, New Zealand and Alaska (assuming we count Alaska here).  Our favorite is also Norway, but none of these areas are to be diminished.  They are all fabulous.

6 hours ago, pinotlover said:

We sailed close to land a couple of days. Once between Alesund and our next port and then as we passed by Nord Capp returning from Russia. Except for our day trip up into the fjords, we were always well out to sea otherwise.

That's interesting.  We only had one day of our 12 or so where we were out to sea.

I still treasure our 1976 cruise on Bergen Lines, Hurtigruten's predecessor, on a small ship -- probably really a "boat" -- that took us into the Trollfjord both going up to Northcape from Bergen and back.  There was a lovely young German teen on board who loaned me his flash so that I good get a good picture.  (Which of course I no longer have since this was pre-computer days.)

As I recall, we were always close to the coast.  There were very few first class cabins ... most were second/third.  First class had a separate dining room, and we were maybe 40 people.  Even in the 6 first class cabins, only 2 had bathrooms "en suite" (as I recall).  Calling it a suite was a bit of a stretch. We booked very last minute when there was a "just happened" cancellation of one of those suites with the bathroom.  But we still had bunk beds!  Back then, we didn't mind.  (Actually, I still wouldn't mind!)  When we hit a big arctic storm -- the captain said it was the worst he'd seen in 25 years of passenger service and most people never arrived at meals for those one or two days -- I actually preferred the bunk beds.  We'd go from head on the ceiling, toes on the floor, to the reverse ...

It was an interesting trip!

Actually, it was called the "mail boat", so I suspect my categorization of the "ship" as a "boat" wasn't very far off ... I knitted my young nice a sweater on that trip ...  She was about 8 on that trip and how she's now in her late 40s ...

Back to what Clo said:  Bergen Lines was minimal transportation up and down the coast.  I suspect Hurtigruten may not be much more elaborate.  It's still a great trip!  And part of OUR fun was staying in tiny ports for 15-30 minutes.  DH always managed to find ice cream on his walk ... Everyone would ask him, "Where did you get that?"

😀

Mura

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mura said:

And part of OUR fun was staying in tiny ports for 15-30 minutes. 

I'm trying to remember; I think on the RT they hit something over 35 ports and, yes, some were just a few minutes to take/drop off cargo or passengers who might be just going a port or two. Oh, heck, I'll post pix again 🙂

IMG_6914 - Edited.jpg

IMG_6852 - Edited.jpg

IMG_6826.JPG

IMG_6772 - Edited.jpg

IMG_6740 - Edited (1).jpg

Thanks, Clo.  I enjoyed these.  But I still don't see the Trollfjord ...

I have some wonderful Norway photos as well but I will refrain from posting them!  (DH is having major surgery tomorrow so my time is limited ...)

Have you been to Svalbard?  We only had one day there in 2010 but enjoyed it very much.

Mura

• Like 1

On 11/16/2019 at 1:00 PM, StanandJim said:

Another issue is that the Ship cannot use its Internet Antenna when within range of land-based services.

Really????  First of all internet on a ship is received thru a satellite dish and not an antenna.  Secondly only in Japan have we found the Japanese restrict a ship from using internet or TV from satellites when in port.  Otherwise in probably over 50 different ports internet and TV aboard ship was unrestricted in any other ports.

Worth looking carefully at the timings of port calls on a Norway fjord cruise. Sadly, most lines are more interested in spending a day in a port where they can sell expensive excursions. This often means that the most breathtaking scenery is passed before many passengers are awake to enjoy it, or are seated in dining rooms with no view after the ship leaves its dock.

We have taken to setting our alarms to coincide with entering a fjord, and enjoying the fantastic views while wrapped up on our balcony. Might need an afternoon nap! Followed by afternoon tea to stave off any hunger pangs, so we can enjoy the dramatic views of the towering sides of the fjord. Supper in the buffet once it starts to get dark.

Works for us, as we primarily cruise to Norway to see the fjords.

Downside of Norway is the almost complete lack of wildlife. Alaska was amazing, we saw so many whales and dolphins, seals, bald eagles, I’d love to go back.

On 11/16/2019 at 11:00 AM, StanandJim said:

+1

However will mummy and daddy Skype with their precious poopsie?

It may not operate it's cellphone tower while in range.   "Internet" via satellite is OK, even while docked, and even if you are using WiFi calling over it.

• 4 weeks later...

Nice to read all the positive thoughts about Norway.  We did a short Norway cruise 15 years ago.  We loved it.  This summer we decided to go back and cruise up to the North Cape.  There were several cruise lines offering cruises. It was a tough choice deciding which cruise to book.  While we like Oceania, we chose Viking for this trip.  Why?  Oceania does not have an indoor pool.  The Viking cruise does not stop in any Russian ports.  Been to Russia. I have no desire to go back.  

We took Viking Sea from London to Bergen so that one of our first Norway stops was Nord Capp.  After Tromso, we saw more of the coast in something called the inside passage which was very scenic and this continued to Molde and Geiranger Fjord.  There was an extra pilot on board for that part.  I would be surprised to hear that most of the ships do not go through this going north too but do not know.  There were all sorts of odd towering rock formations (we had good clear weather).  Norway is great no matter what cruise you take in terms of scenery on the water and on land.