Premium Plus Beverage Package

GettotheSun

Hi All, our cruise is still quite a ways out (March), but my latest fascination is the option to upgrade to the Premium Plus Beverage Package (PPBP).  We have the Premium package included.

I've read a few posts about the PPBP and it seems like it isn't a common upgrade choice, but those who bought it seem to be happy about it (generally?).   Neither my partner or I are particularly "savvy" drinkers or "high volume" drinkers, but on vacation, some mojitos and other Caribbean drinks are a must.   But my reason for thinking about the PPBP is the wine and champagne.  This is our first cruise, but to me nothing says cruise like champers!  lol

On some of the posts I've read, if accurate, they explain that you cannot order drinks to your room unless you pay full price (drink + gratuity) for the drink(s), and I think that includes soft drinks too?  This may sound lazy / trivial, but we booked a Haven aft cabin and it's pretty far from the Haven itself, so we'd need to go to the regular bars for drinks; this will be during March break, so very busy ship including all bars.  Given the size of the balcony and the view of our cabin, I expect we will spend a fair bit of time on our balcony, every day, and would ideally not have to leave for a 'refill' of a beverage.

On another post I read something that was a bit of an "a ha" moment for why PPBP would maybe be a good investment for us.   With the PPBP, both my partner and I would need to purchase it, so again, makes it pricey.  But one member explained that we would be 'entitled' to two bottles of wine or champagne under the plan per night, and you do not need to drink them both at the restaurant but could take one back to your cabin.  We'd be lucky if we could finish one bottle over dinner, especially if we've been drinking during the afternoon, but if we could take a bottle of Veuve back to the room to have on our balcony the next afternoon, that would rock.

Other things about the PPBP upgrade I like is it includes bottle still and sparkling water.  It also has some specialty coffees, which I wouldn't have but my partner would.  

In terms of the economics, I was planning on buying a bottle of Veuve and bringing it on the ship anyway, and maybe a bottle of wine too.  I was also planning to buy a 12 pack of water.  If I start to factor out those costs as a partial offset, with the added benefit of champers on our balcony in the afternoon, I'm kinda thinking, yes please.

Any other factors worth taking into account?

My husband and I are planning on upgrading to the PPBP on our cruise in March for a few reasons:

1. We like to order bottles of water when we order drinks and while we could bring a case of water onboard we don't want to carry around multiple bottles or run back to our cabin all day
  2. They have my favorite wine as 1 of the available wines with PPBP so I foresee us getting multiple bottles
  3. My husband likes high end whiskeys and I like some of the rums included
  4. I like specialty coffees
  5. We like having the peace of mind knowing we can drink freely (alcohol and non-alcohol) while on vacation and not have to worry about a large bill at the end of the cruise

For us to upgrade it’s an extra $500 for a five night cruise. We’re not doing it because even if we order a few top shelf products and pay the difference from $15 and get speciality coffee every day there’s no way we’re hitting $500. As for the champagne, you can bring your own and pay the $15 corkage fee. 

• Like 1

We upgraded for our December 1 cruise so I can report back after. Hubby isn't into wine and champagne, but if possible I'll be taking a bottle whenever, wherever I can to bring back to the room. I've already got a wine saver packed. 

But, being aft Haven last year, I will tell you the 30oz Yeti was our best friend. We were close with both bartenders who would fill our Yetis with our drinks of choice so we could enjoy them on our balcony. 

• Like 1

Best investment we made.

I adore champagne. 

Veuve is actually my Champagne of choice. However at $80CDN a bottle at home it is reserved for special occasions.

Nothing beats a couple glasses of Veuve to start your day.

A bottle of Veuve at dinner and I was as happy as a clam.

Not sure I would bring it back to my room to save for the next day as whatever bottles you ordered at dinner were uncorked.

Was also pleased that you could substitute the higher end vodkas at the Martini bar.

DH also enjoyed the top shelf single malt scotch selection.

It sounds expensive but just three glasses of Veuve and a few scotches for DH a day paid the difference in the upgrade.

Plus all the bottled water and just a couple cups each of Starbucks in the morning made the upgrade all the more worthwhile.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CruzinfromFL said:

My husband and I are planning on upgrading to the PPBP on our cruise in March for a few reasons:

1. We like to order bottles of water when we order drinks and while we could bring a case of water onboard we don't want to carry around multiple bottles or run back to our cabin all day
  2. They have my favorite wine as 1 of the available wines with PPBP so I foresee us getting multiple bottles
  5. We like having the peace of mind knowing we can drink freely (alcohol and non-alcohol) while on vacation and not have to worry about a large bill at the end of the cruise

Thanks for the pointers.  I totally agree about the bottled water, and for us especially as our younger boy would rather have water than pop so I could also forego a soft drink package for him.  

51 minutes ago, AlexandNessa said:

But, being aft Haven last year, I will tell you the 30oz Yeti was our best friend. We were close with both bartenders who would fill our Yetis with our drinks of choice so we could enjoy them on our balcony. 

I had to google what a 30oz Yeti was, lol!  Sounds like a good plan, certainly would save trips up and down the stairs or elevator just to get drinks to take back to the room balcony.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, pixiedust777 said:

Best investment we made.

I adore champagne. 

Veuve is actually my Champagne of choice. However at $80CDN a bottle at home it is reserved for special occasions.

Nothing beats a couple glasses of Veuve to start your day.

A bottle of Veuve at dinner and I was as happy as a clam.

Not sure I would bring it back to my room to save for the next day as whatever bottles you ordered at dinner were uncorked.

Was also pleased that you could substitute the higher end vodkas at the Martini bar.

DH also enjoyed the top shelf single malt scotch selection.

It sounds expensive but just three glasses of Veuve and a few scotches for DH a day paid the difference in the upgrade.

Plus all the bottled water and just a couple cups each of Starbucks in the morning made the upgrade all the more worthwhile.

Thanks for your response.  And I agree, $80 for champagne is not something I would do other than a special occasion.  I was originally going to bring one bottle onto the ship, and that's still an option if I don't upgrade.  I cannot see me bringing more than two bottles of wine or champagne in my luggage from Canada, lol.  

Interesting that you say anything ordered was already uncorked - I didn't get that impression from another post I read but maybe they were specifically referring to wine, which would be less of an issue vs. champagne being opened.  Maybe we have champers at dinner and take a bottle of wine back to have in the afternoon on the balcony, haha!  I wonder if we could ask for the champagne to not be opened so we could take it back to our room...probably not.

I really also like the idea of access to bottled water whenever and as much as we want.   Not sure we would use Starbucks that much - well I wouldn't.

One other question I had - I saw a video on YouTube where a guy was staying on the Getaway in a Haven suite and he showed bottles of Kahlua and Amareto, and said he pre-ordered them.  So I'm guessing that is something that is completely outside of any beverage package?   Never seen any mention of this anywhere else.

1 minute ago, GettotheSun said:

One other question I had - I saw a video on YouTube where a guy was staying on the Getaway in a Haven suite and he showed bottles of Kahlua and Amareto, and said he pre-ordered them.  So I'm guessing that is something that is completely outside of any beverage package?   Never seen any mention of this anywhere else.

You can pre- order bottles to be delivered to your room. You however pay a hefty premium on what you would normally pay if bought at the store. We had a 1 litre bottle of grey goose one year delivered to our stateroom and paid $124U.S for it. Way before the days of drink packages but I nearly fainted when I saw the room charge.

2 hours ago, GettotheSun said:

We'd be lucky if we could finish one bottle over dinner, especially if we've been drinking during the afternoon, but if we could take a bottle of Veuve back to the room to have on our balcony the next afternoon, that would rock.

We purchased the plan on our August Bermuda cruise.  We were in the Haven proper and put the plan to use often and got our monies worth without a doubt.  

We are upgrading again this March, when we are in a Haven Aft as well (Joy - 3/22)

While it is true you can get plenty of bottles at dinner and bring extra back to your cabin, I'm not sure if they can give you an "un-opened bottle".  Still wines can easily be recorked to carry back.  To bring Vueve back, pack a Champagne Cork so you can "save" those bubbles.

2 hours ago, GettotheSun said:

In terms of the economics, I was planning on buying a bottle of Veuve and bringing it on the ship anyway, and maybe a bottle of wine too.  I was also planning to buy a 12 pack of water.  If I start to factor out those costs as a partial offset, with the added benefit of champers on our balcony in the afternoon, I'm kinda thinking, yes please.

If you upgrade, DO NOT buy a 12pack of water.  The bottled waters are free.  We would both grab bottles any moment from any bar or restaurant throughout the cruise.  The Haven and restaurants stock Aqua Pana (Italian still and sparkling). 

My opinion after having had the beverage package on the Bliss is to not upgrade, since you are wanting mostly tropical type drinks.  Also, you are not really that far from a bar area.  And they let you order two drinks to take back to your balcony. That is not the case on other cruise lines, and a policy that helped  me become a repeat customer. And another thing is, that if you don't call out your brand, they will use whatever brand they normally use. So just call out the brand that is included in the package.   An example in my case was, Pina Colada with Malibu rum, or Moscow Mule with Absolute. And even then, the pool bars pushed the pre-mixed versions, so  because of the wait, I drank those. Poor me.

1 hour ago, AlexandNessa said:

Oh I know what I"m getting everyone for Christmas!  Yetis for everyone!  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, pixiedust777 said:

You can pre- order bottles to be delivered to your room. You however pay a hefty premium on what you would normally pay if bought at the store. We had a 1 litre bottle of grey goose one year delivered to our stateroom and paid $124U.S for it. Way before the days of drink packages but I nearly fainted when I saw the room charge.

Wow, that's crazy!  So, I will not be ordering any liquors or spirts to my room!

2 hours ago, JandC_Cruising said:

While it is true you can get plenty of bottles at dinner and bring extra back to your cabin, I'm not sure if they can give you an "un-opened bottle".  Still wines can easily be recorked to carry back.  To bring Vueve back, pack a Champagne Cork so you can "save" those bubbles.

That's a great idea, bring a champagne cork!  Duh!   Thanks for that advice.

I do still wonder if I'm taking a bottle from the restaurant does that look really weird?  

2 hours ago, JandC_Cruising said:

If you upgrade, DO NOT buy a 12pack of water.  The bottled waters are free.  We would both grab bottles any moment from any bar or restaurant throughout the cruise.  The Haven and restaurants stock Aqua Pana (Italian still and sparkling). 

Yes, this is the other reason for me thinking of upgrading is the water.  Both still and sparkling water, which seems to have some crazy price on board for some reason (and not included in the premium drink package or the kids drink package).

On 11/16/2019 at 4:44 PM, CruzinfromFL said:

1: As of July 15, 2016, Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) passengers will be prohibited from bringing any beverages, including beer, liquor and non-alcoholic drinks like water, soda, juices, onboard as carry-on or checked luggage

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 8:29 PM, aero777 said:

Which ship?

I have used the Premium Plus at both SB locations on the Joy and the one on the Encore.

Thanks for the info, we will be on the Encore in March.  I thought it would be the same across the fleet.  I hope my package works at the SB on Encore, love those specialty coffee drinks:)

• Like 1

On 11/20/2019 at 4:27 PM, dgreeney said:

Can someone please tell me where I can I find what wines are included in the different packages?

There's an Encore thread by Birdtravels right now going on that has the wine list in it. Anything $15 and under a glass is in the premium package and the wines that are marked with an * are included by the bottle in the Plus package.  Note that Veuve is no longer included by the bottle, it is now Moet, at least on Encore but probably across the board too.