Holland assigned rooms

golfer1903

Eurodahm looking at the Neptune suites for Alaska in 2020

ids there any bad rooms for the Neptune suites that you would not want to get?

i was thinking about saving some money and getting  Them to assigned a room rather then picking myself

doea the rooms that are close to the parts of ship that stick out offer bad views in that direction  looks like all you would see is the people on there balcony?

Aft suites generally have less cabin space but offer h-u-g-e wrap-around balconies.  In Alaska, outside views are where the action is, so these suites are generally already booked.  If you're thinking of booking a guarantee, you can't be picky; however, as CruiserBruce pointed out, there is no such thing as a bad suite.  Toss in Neptune Lounge and other perks, what's not to love?

30 minutes ago, oceanmom said:

Try a Spa Neptune on the NS. The balcony was the size of a closet. The cabin was great but there wasn't room to turn around if you stepped out on the balcony.

Probably similar to the Koningsdam-the balcony was ridiculously small and the cabin was a weird layout.  Glad we didn’t have it but friends did a guarantee and got it.  They were not happy at all.  

We have visited friends in the aft Neptune suites.  They are not for us.  They are too far away -- some are on different decks -- from the Neptune Lounge.

We have stayed in many Neptune Suites and Many Pinnacle suites and love them.

I would never let HAL pick my cabin.  You could end in a NS -- small -- hardly any balcony.

12 hours ago, golfer1903 said:

Eurodahm looking at the Neptune suites for Alaska in 2020

ids there any bad rooms for the Neptune suites that you would not want to get?

i was thinking about saving some money and getting  Them to assigned a room rather then picking myself

doea the rooms that are close to the parts of ship that stick out offer bad view"betters in that direction  looks like all you would see is the people on there balcony?

While I have never heard of a "bad" Neptune cabin (and this is one category I have done guarantees in), some locations are definitely better than others IMO, especially on the larger HAL ships.  What I would do is research the decks plans of the Eurodam and see if there are some sections that you really would not be happy with.  This ship has alot of different Neptune locations and some people will find soem of them off-putting.

For example, there are 2 Neptunes on deck 10 far forward (also facing forward).  Motion of the sea can impact this location more than other places.  Plus, reportedly the balcony is smaller.  Conversely, the aft-wraps (decks 4-8) have very large balconies, but also can experience more motion and can be a long walk to the Neptune Lounge.  Aft-wraps are a bit smaller than other Neptunes, but for Alaska IMO the great views you get are worth the tradeoff.  Further, some Neptunes are on deck 6, which is not convenient (IMO) to the Neptune Lounge, which some people like to be near.  One more - I try to avoid the 4 cabins next to the mid-ship elevators, as these elevators stick out from the ship and people on them can see onto the immediate balconies.

On the smaller HAL ships, the Neptunes are fairly clustered together so location is not a big deal to me anyway.

So, I guess it really depends on you whether or not the money saved is worth losing your choice of cabins.

Edited by DaveOKC

I agree. Pick your own. If you like access to the Neptune Lounge, pick something on deck 7 mid-ship.  If you can get one of the aft suites with wrap around balconies, that may be amazing for an Alaska cruise. 

We agreed to get an upgrade on our last cruise.  We were upgraded from our regular Verandah stateroom  to a spa Veranda stateroom.  It was billed as a 5 level upgrade.  It turned out to be the same sized room with no verandah to speak of.  Loved the location of the room but would have rather stayed with our original since I basically live on the verandah during a cruise.  Common sense would tell you that the best rooms will be selected by passengers, and HAL will hand out the rest.  It's not going to be a prime room, either for location, size, layout, or whatever.  My advice - pick your own...

• Like 2

On some cruises, such as the Coastals that are the tail end of a longer cruise, only guarantees can be booked.  Still, I've never had a bad one, put I'm not picky, and don't mind going up or down a deck to get to the Neptune Lounge.  Probably saves me some calories not having close access.