Arcadia - Norovirus

wowzz

I know quite a few cruisers who have caught norovirus despite using the hand gel. Touch wood, I never have in over 25 cruises. Perhaps this is because I cannot use the gel as I am allergic to the type that P and O use, so i am forever washing my hands on a cruise!

Edited by Clodia
typo

We had a nasty outbreak of Noro at work and I had to phone the health authorities every day to report the number of new cases.  They recommended Clinell wipes (mentioned above) and spray, as well as hand-washing and not sharing pencils, paint-brushes etc (it was in a school!)

I used to take the wipes but now find it easier to  take Clinell pocket-sized spray when I'm travelling. It's handy just to give hard surfaces in the cabin a quick 'scoosh' when we arrive and I can carry it in my pocket or bag so I always have it when I need it.  

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Clinell-Universal-Sanitiser-Pocket-Spray/dp/B01FR2QF1I/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=clinell+spray&qid=1574268044&sr=8-3

On 11/20/2019 at 8:46 AM, 2BACRUISER said:

Was reading thro the reviews on Arcadia last night and as ever you do take their content with a pinch of salt however it was evident that 'gastric' problems were a regular occurrence particularly on longer voyages. This points to the demographic of people on these voyages as 'older' who are the  most likely offenders for not washing hands. On some ships we have been on you are not allowed into the food areas without hand sanitizing first,  time P&O enforced this too. 

And yet very few outbreaks on Saga ships. 

On 11/20/2019 at 8:46 AM, 2BACRUISER said:

Was reading thro the reviews on Arcadia last night and as ever you do take their content with a pinch of salt however it was evident that 'gastric' problems were a regular occurrence particularly on longer voyages. This points to the demographic of people on these voyages as 'older' who are the  most likely offenders for not washing hands. On some ships we have been on you are not allowed into the food areas without hand sanitizing first,  time P&O enforced this too. 

I take the point about not hand washing being an important and relevant issue - but why should the more likely offenders be older people?  It may be the case, but can surely only be based on an impression. 

More significant I think is your reference to longer cruises - they do provide an extended period for infections to take hold and the number infected will increase exponentially.  Shorter cruises get rid of those harbouring infection before they succumb or the numbers affected/infected get too high.  (How many of us have taken home with us 'the ship's cough' or other infection we believe we've picked up on board but were ok until the end of our holiday?)  

But perhaps too family ships with a high number of children would be more prone to infection if they were longer.  Certainly, like Tartanexile, I have experience how infections can rip through schools very quickly and, despite every effort, can result in school closure.   Perhaps children may not be as diligent about hand washing either but I think it's a shame to target any one demographic as the culprits when there are so many variables. 

It's everyone who ignores the advice on handwashing who are being irresponsible and lacking in social conscience. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

True. But Saga is, by comparison with P&O, a much more upmarket product, priced accordingly, and with a very different type of customer.

So why are there so few outbreaks on P&O ships?  The figures show P&O to have the same number of reported outbreaks. ie. none.

So both lines are good at restricting outbreaks to as few people as possible.

23 minutes ago, kruzseeka said:

I take the point about not hand washing being an important and relevant issue - but why should the more likely offenders be older people?  It may be the case, but can surely only be based on an impression.

Exactly and if you are also following the rude passengers thread on here its those older, ruder, think they're entitled ones that think the rules dont apply to them. 🙄

23 minutes ago, 2BACRUISER said:

Exactly and if you are also following the rude passengers thread on here its those older, ruder, think they're entitled ones that think the rules dont apply to them. 🙄

I expect that they all come from Yorkshire as well.

3 minutes ago, brillo said:

I expect that they all come from Yorkshire as well.

It's usually Londoners in my experience.  It's pretty civilised up here, most people are polite, but if there's any rudeness in the shops it's usually Londoners who've sold up, moved here to a much bigger house, and think they can throw their weight about and be rude to staff in shops.

Came across a charming group on Ventura a while back. Drinking soup straight from the bowls and boasting about their wealth. Lovely.

• Like 1

What a lot of ill-informed tripe is spouted on this subject on here and many other threads and forums.

With the average age of passengers on most P&O cruises, being 70+ or more of course the rude one are going to be in the older spectrum of the population. But the rest of the passengers on the ship are also going to be in this age group.

In the summer on Britannia with a good mix of age groups the rude people will come from all age groups, children, teenagers, young adults, middle age people and old people.  However the vast majority who are not rude will come from all those groups as well. 

• Like 11

Going back to NV a third North East school has closed this morning for a deep clean and many schools in my area are reporting 50 to 150 pupils off school in the past 2 days.  In some schools that is well over 25/30%

New headline just popped up now 60+ schools in NE England have reported to health England that they have a (NV) outbreak involving thousands of children. 

Edited by daiB
Extra information

My granddaughter's school had a bad outbreak last week. My granddaughter was kept away on Friday and was fine. There was supposed to have been a deep clean over the weekend but this morning she, and quite a few others are sick. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, daiB said:

What a lot of ill-informed tripe is spouted on this subject on here and many other threads and forums.

With the average age of passengers on most P&O cruises, being 70+ or more of course the rude one are going to be in the older spectrum of the population. But the rest of the passengers on the ship are also going to be in this age group.

In the summer on Britannia with a good mix of age groups the rude people will come from all age groups, children, teenagers, young adults, middle age people and old people.  However the vast majority who are not rude will come from all those groups as well. 

Exactly Dai.  The only value any comparisons could have is if you were to count the number of rude people you come across, group them according to your perception of their age (another potential source of error) then correct for the % of people on the ship who are in that age group.  

I agree, lots of generalisations and jumps of logic.   It has been suggested that because a lot of people believe a larger % of older people are rude then that justifies the assertion that they are worse at hand washing.  Why should the two be should linked?  Whatever has been said on the 'rude' thread cannot be extrapolated into hygiene.  Two separate issues and no basis for making such assertions - even if the first premise is correct! 🤔

7 hours ago, 2BACRUISER said:

Because the hand hygiene rules are rigidly enforced in food areas. 

And the fact that Saga ships have significantly smaller numbers of both pax and crew.  Even the new, larger Saga ship has almost half the capacity of P&O's smallest.

4 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

It's usually Londoners in my experience.  It's pretty civilised up here, most people are polite, but if there's any rudeness in the shops it's usually Londoners who've sold up, moved here to a much bigger house, and think they can throw their weight about and be rude to staff in shops.

Came across a charming group on Ventura a while back. Drinking soup straight from the bowls and boasting about their wealth. Lovely.

Yeah - and all Northerners wear flat caps and have a ferret... 🙄😉😂

2 hours ago, Britboys said:

Yeah - and all Northerners wear flat caps and have a ferret... 🙄😉😂

Yes some of us do. First to keep ones head dry and second to chase out vermin. And I find myself agreeing with #harrypeterson  but then I have in the past been called a rude northern girl by a southern elder despite the fact I'm 54 😜

Edited by 2BACRUISER

11 hours ago, 2BACRUISER said:

Yes some of us do. First to keep ones head dry and second to chase out vermin. And I find myself agreeing with #harrypeterson  but then I have in the past been called a rude northern girl by a southern elder despite the fact I'm 54 😜

What do the ones down your trousers do.

Just to bring this thread back on course,  reading the blog of one of the passengers currently on board,  it would appear that the crew are becoming a little exasperated with the actions of certain passengers. Removing the wedges that keep the external doors of the public loos open for example! More crucially, it seems that some passengers, despite having gastric issues,  are not reporting their condition to the medical staff, and are continuing to mingle with other pax, use the buffet etc, with a result that it is becoming difficult to fully clear the problem.

Is it too much to ask for an individual to stay in a cabin for 24 hours, rather than continue to be a source of  cross contamination!