D-Day Tour Recommendations?

kreastman

We did a private tour years ago and it was wonderful.  I don't remember the tour guides contact, but he took 4 couples from our ship in his van and it was one of the best we have been on.  I recommend private tours over the large bus ones.  Do a search of roll calls that to the Normandy on these boards and you'll find ones.

FWIW, we were in Le Havre on Renaissance way back when and were debating about a tour to Normandy.  I was dubious about the long drive in each direction just to get there.  Then I spoke to the tourist bureau in Bayeux and was strongly advised not to consider trying to see Normandy in one day.  (Standard proviso here:  if you think you'll never have another chance, by all means go.)  Her comment was also based on the fact that the roads were not great -- not that they were pothole heaven, just that they were small and heavily traveled.  This was in 2001.

As a result we ended up doing a car trip from Paris through Normandy, Mont St Michel, etc., and back to Paris.  I think we spent about 2 weeks, with 3 or 4 days in Normandy.  We were glad we did it this way.  You certainly can't see enough in one day even if you are there from early morning to the evening.

Having said that, on a Viking riverboat trip in 2012 we took a ship's tour (from Rouen) that did Bayeux and some of the non-U.S. sites (since we'd already seen the U.S. sites).  We were a very small group (only 5 passengers as I recall) since most of the Viking passengers took the U.S. tour.  We did have plenty of time to see what we wanted that day despite the long drive to and from.

Not trying to discourage anyone from doing a Normandy tour on a port visit!  I do think that in this case if you decide on a day trip to Normandy from the port that private is far better than a ship's tour -- just because you are dealing with far fewer people.

Mura

1 hour ago, Mura said:

FWIW, we were in Le Havre on Renaissance way back when and were debating about a tour to Normandy.  I was dubious about the long drive in each direction just to get there.  Then I spoke to the tourist bureau in Bayeux and was strongly advised not to consider trying to see Normandy in one day. 

We did the Overlord tour from Le Havre in 2012.  It was a long day, but well worth it.  We docked in Le Havre at 8 am.  I want to say it was close to two hours travel each way and we had 10 to 4 pm actually in Normandy and went to Omaha Beach and the cemetery in Normandy and had lunch near the Mt St Michel Abbey.  If you have never been, and this is your first opportunity, I'd advise going for it.  The only negative was a crowded van.  In retrospect, we had a van and 8 on the tour for 800 euros and should have done 6 and for an extra 66 euros per couple.  

• 3 weeks later...

I still say:  we are very glad that we did a separate drive tour to Normandy.  Sure, you can see SOME things in one day from a cruise port.  But not nearly enough.  That is MY opinion.  You of course may choose to differ!  And as I always say:  if you think you won't have a chance to return, by all means see what you can in one day.

Our follow-up visit from a river boat in Rouen in 2012  (which was pretty much the same drive time all considered) was okay because we were visiting some different sites -- other than a return visit to the Bayeux Tapestry which is why we booked this tour to begin with.

I'm delighted to hear that people are happy with their half day visit there ...  Having spent several days there, we would not be.  But that is in retrospect, isn't it?

Murna is  VERY correct........ you really need 3 full days  and  one of the small ( less than 8  tours) company.   Many have access of private locations and access the bus tours do not.     

However, whether you take a 1 day, a 3 day or even 1/2 day tour..this is a place, like Gettysburg, that EVERY american needs to visit out of reverence and appreciation of why they/ you, are today free.     

Hawaiidan +1

I would also add that Mura has it right. You need more time than a shore excursion can provide. In addition a private guide will take you to the top of Pointe d'Hoc, I still can't believe the rangers made it. You also need to see the remaining impressions from the carpet bombing. Private tours also will have time for St. Mere Eglise not to be missed. 

I've been 3 times and am now too old to go again. Twice were riverboat excursions OK but the highlight was a 3 day private tour with a knowledgable guide.

Don't be too proud at Colleville sur Mer 

Highly recommend Overlord. Their guides are excellent, especially in putting a personal touch on what you see and the countryside you can tromp through. They will customize even the 6-9 pax van tours if all agree. For example, we requested a visit to the German Cemetery La Combe, not a normal stop, and found it a fascinating contrast to the British and American cemeteries. We did two of their day tours, with a day in between on our own for Bayeux tapestry and a lovely drive to Honfleur and Deauville. Check out the variety of options they offer to see what appeals to you. You'll get around to a lot more territory on a private tour than with the ship's excursions.

Perhaps I should have said earlier that on our private trip to Normandy our guide took us to the U.S., British and Germany cemeteries around Normandy.  It was striking how young the soldiers were in the U.S. and British cemeteries -- usually in their early 20s -- as opposed to the German cemetery where they were in their 30s and 40s.  And the styles were so different.  The U.S. cemetery is spectacularly beautiful.

On another cruise we visited some WWII cemeteries in Carthage and elsewhere as well.  All very moving.

When we did the day trip from Rouen on a Viking river boat cruise we saw the Canadian sites (their landing beach and museum) as well as a return to the Bayeux Tapestry.  We really enjoyed seeing the Canadian perspective on that trip.  When we were in school the Canadian experience in WWII was pretty much ignored!

So much to do there ... if you only have one day it's still worth the visit as Dan has said.  If you have more time, there is SO much to see.  On our trip we continued on down to Mt. St. Michel, Angers, Saumur, etc., ending up at Fontainebleau.  This was a fabulous trip.  If you have  the time -- and energy -- it's well worth the time.

Mura