parking in Cape Liberty garage with car carrier

djkk

Hi, has anyone parked in the Cape Liberty garage in a SUV with a car carrier on top? We are limited on space with five people, so it would be easier to stick our luggage on top. I'm concerned I won't be able to open the carrier in the garage. TIA!

8 minutes ago, djkk said:

Hi, has anyone parked in the Cape Liberty garage in a SUV with a car carrier on top? We are limited on space with five people, so it would be easier to stick our luggage on top. I'm concerned I won't be able to open the carrier in the garage. TIA!

There is a 7' 4" height restriction in the garage.  There is an open air lot you can park in if you think you are going to be too tall.

http://www.cruiseliberty.com/directions_parking.html

44 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Could also park here, free shuttle to and from ship, very close.

https://www.parkwhiz.com/reserve/?quote_id=69f7fafb-7467-49bb-9023-3249ce24210b

That $19 per day lot nearest the cruise terminal (71 New Hook Road) is one that several folks have strongly advised against using.  The lot is apparently not secured during the day.

3 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

There is a 7' 4" height restriction in the garage.  There is an open air lot you can park in if you think you are going to be too tall.

http://www.cruiseliberty.com/directions_parking.html

This lot is adjacent to the terminal and directly across the street from the parking garage.  It is safe and convenient.

13 minutes ago, Cruising KPs said:

The top level of the parking garage is also open air.

Sure, but your vehicle still needs to meet the clearance requirements for the lower levels so you can get to the upper level.  Depending on the model of vehicle and carrier, an SUV with a car-top carrier could to be getting close to the 7' 4" height.  If I was the OP I'd be putting the carrier on and taking a measurement, or just plan on parking in the surface lot (do they have it open on all turn-around days?).

I just looked - Chevy Tahoe is 74.4" tall.  Thule Motion XT is 15", that's 7' 6" give or take.  Too tall, but the OP doesn't say what SUV it is, or what carrier, I just picked what is likely one of the tallest combos to see how close it would be.  That carrier would fit inside the Tahoe with all of the back seats folded.

It's also possible the garage will be filled with vehicles from the other ships cruising from the port and it's a non-issue.

Another option, depending on how easy the carrier is to remove - unload everyone and their stuff at the drop-off curb then remove the carrier and stow it in the vehicle if it'll fit.  Then you don't have to worry about height.  I'd take this option if using the other lot that was linked (I wouldn't want to leave that out and exposed in that lot), but if you're going to do that you may as well do it and park in the port garage.

Actually - the garage may already be filled when you get there and you have to park in open air lot.  We had to do that - just as close and Cape Liberty is very secure.  No problem and then you don't have to worry about your height clearance at all!  Just park there - the attendants will direct you there if they anticipate that you will have a problem.  I wouldn't want to have to take the carrier off and put it back on again when you don't have to!  Enjoy your cruise and don't worry!

1 hour ago, SailingSal said:

Actually - the garage may already be filled when you get there and you have to park in open air lot.  We had to do that - just as close and Cape Liberty is very secure.  No problem and then you don't have to worry about your height clearance at all!  Just park there - the attendants will direct you there if they anticipate that you will have a problem.  I wouldn't want to have to take the carrier off and put it back on again when you don't have to!  Enjoy your cruise and don't worry!

The garage can be full in the summer when there are more ships sailing from Bayonne.  We have never had an issue getting a spot in the parking garage at this time of year.

12 hours ago, hallux said:

Sure, but your vehicle still needs to meet the clearance requirements for the lower levels so you can get to the upper level.  Depending on the model of vehicle and carrier, an SUV with a car-top carrier could to be getting close to the 7' 4" height.  If I was the OP I'd be putting the carrier on and taking a measurement, or just plan on parking in the surface lot (do they have it open on all turn-around days?).

I just looked - Chevy Tahoe is 74.4" tall.  Thule Motion XT is 15", that's 7' 6" give or take.  Too tall, but the OP doesn't say what SUV it is, or what carrier, I just picked what is likely one of the tallest combos to see how close it would be.  That carrier would fit inside the Tahoe with all of the back seats folded.

It's also possible the garage will be filled with vehicles from the other ships cruising from the port and it's a non-issue.

Another option, depending on how easy the carrier is to remove - unload everyone and their stuff at the drop-off curb then remove the carrier and stow it in the vehicle if it'll fit.  Then you don't have to worry about height.  I'd take this option if using the other lot that was linked (I wouldn't want to leave that out and exposed in that lot), but if you're going to do that you may as well do it and park in the port garage.

There is an open lot adjacent to the parking garage to accommodate vehicles with height restrictions.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, boscobeans said:

There is an open lot adjacent to the parking garage to accommodate vehicles with height restrictions.

It's almost as if I mentioned it!!

12 hours ago, hallux said:

or just plan on parking in the surface lot (do they have it open on all turn-around days?).

16 hours ago, hallux said:

That $19 per day lot nearest the cruise terminal (71 New Hook Road) is one that several folks have strongly advised against using.  The lot is apparently not secured during the day.

Highly recommend just parking in the cruise ship terminal garage.  For the extra $3 per day, it makes getting on the ship and off much easier.  We travel with a lot of luggage and having to load that into a shuttle or taking the time to go get your car, and come back and pick up the luggage is a major pain for us for to save $21.  

Hi, my vehicle is a Toyota Highlander. Not as big as a Tahoe. Specs say 68.1 inches. I'll have to measure the roof rack and the carrier to see the actual height. Thanks for all your comments! Happy Cruising!

10 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

The garage can be full in the summer when there are more ships sailing from Bayonne.  We have never had an issue getting a spot in the parking garage at this time of year.

We had to park in the outside lot the second week in May! That is not the summer! But it is no big deal - very secure.