Seaside Yacht Club Observations 'Revisited'

rattanchair

41 minutes ago, rattanchair said:

Dear Frank,   I was not paying attention. But DW told me that the crux of this particular tete-a-tete was this gentleman booked his cruise before a beverage package change that came about , all before final payment.

So he is not weaseling his way into anything, he's simply demanding that he receive what he paid for.  Those are two completely different things. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, cyndyga said:

Following! I'm getting on as you get off and will be in 16018 ...I can't wait! I love it that people take the time to post! I never get internet so Thank you! Hoping my luggage is not delayed as I am only bringing one suitcase lol...

While waiting in line for security , with my butler Joel, to reexamine the suspicious contents of my 'lost' duffel bag; we noticed the confiscated knives and one pair of Dollar Store 6" scissors that security was wrapping up and taping, I guess to return to passengers when they get off.

3 hours ago, rattanchair said:

Stop the presses ! Joel just informed us that as of a month ago MSC has added free unlimited laundry and pressing service to its list of Royal suite amenities. Now I can cut down my 8 bags, to one survival duffel and a back pack.

Yes, this is a major upgrade to the YC amenities.  And yet, the thread on CC [https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2709224-yacht-club-changes/] completely ignores that and goes on and on about the missing Pringles.  Different folks have different priorities: I would much rather have free laundry that free mini-bar.

But as to your packing issue:  have you considered the annual Azamara 'hedonistic' charter?  You wouldn't need to pack clothes at all!  [This summer's was in the Baltic, which is dangerously far north for that sort of thing.  It would be really interesting to see pictures from a 'clothing optional' Northern Lights cruise – the 'blue nose' ceremony would have a whole 'nother meaning!!!]

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, JAGR said:

I daresay GC would be better off going to the Gelato bar in the aft of deck 7.  Better selection and rarely a line, since they really only do gelato and crepes.

Dear Sensei,  Perhaps you could fill in for my present concierge who is obviously sending me and my readers to the 'cheap seats'.

By the way, I found a great 'toast' from our favorite poet Robert Burns (a favorite of mine anyway).  New Years is coming and I plan on using it to my best satisfaction.. "Here is to us !  And who is better than us? Damn few, and they are all dead!"

9 minutes ago, rattanchair said:

Dear Sensei,  Perhaps you could fill in for my present concierge who is obviously sending me and my readers to the 'cheap seats'.

By the way, I found a great 'toast' from our favorite poet Robert Burns (a favorite of mine anyway).  New Years is coming and I plan on using it to my best satisfaction.. "Here is to us !  And who is better than us? Damn few, and they are all dead!"

Well, I suspect the Concierge is likely to send people to the crowded sixth deck mid ship because most people are looking for the elusive chocolate martinis (#1 and #2).  If the goal was gelato, deck seven is the place to go, IMHO.  Have a great cruise!

Edited by JAGR
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, rattanchair said:

Fabulous Scottish quote. Wish I could send you a recording of how to say this in the Scots tongue

HERE'S TAE US; WHA'S LIKE US? GEY FEW, AND THEY'RE A' DEID'

Enjoy your cruise, and stop winding everyone up 😁😁😁

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rattanchair said:

Dear Jazz, Only Royal suites was Joel's announcement.

Only Royal Suites get unlimited, but all YC cabins get a free internet package starting in May 2020:

Premium Internet Package*, up to 4GB (depending on the length of the cruise)

*Included for cruises sailing from May 2020, for all ships having an MSC Yacht Club

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/Discover-MSC/MSC-Yacht-Club.aspx

11 minutes ago, JAGR said:

Well, I suspect the Concierge is likely to send people to the crowded sixth deck mid ship because most people are looking for the elusive chocolate martinis (#1 and #2).  If the goal was gelato, deck seven is the place to go, IMHO.  Have a great cruise!

Don't forget deck 16 mid Miami beech for gelato.  Its the quickest walk from the YC deck 19 via the Aurea door.   

8 minutes ago, JPR61 said:

Fabulous Scottish quote. Wish I could send you a recording of how to say this in the Scots tongue

HERE'S TAE US; WHA'S LIKE US? GEY FEW, AND THEY'RE A' DEID'

Enjoy your cruise, and stop winding everyone up 😁😁😁

Dear JP,  Thank you.  But I want my audience to understand succinctly what I am saying ( thus the lack of hyphenations and more pejoratives ) when I am "winding" them up.

11 minutes ago, rattanchair said:

Dear JP,  Thank you.  But I want my audience to understand succinctly what I am saying ( thus the lack of hyphenations and more pejoratives ) when I am "winding" them up.

I had to Google a couple of the words in your quote. Not sure if your meaning to be funny, but your cracking me up 🤣🤣

On 11/24/2019 at 2:53 PM, rattanchair said:

Bring an old cruise card with you to leave in the light receptacle to keep the lights and AC on when you leave the cabin.

There's no reason to light the cabin when you aren't there. The key card doesn't power the AC. It's only the lights. Wasting electricity on a wide-scale only leads to increased fuel usage, which leads to increased pricing.

• Like 1

This is a notice to all the CC passengers on board the Seaside Thanksgiving week. When you get your free CC M&M photo I am the guy on the far right in sunglasses. I would not want any one of you to be responsible for pushing the wrong Rattanchair down a flight of Swarovski crystal staircase in the YC by accident.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, JPR61 said:

I had to Google a couple of the words in your quote. Not sure if your meaning to be funny, but your cracking me up 🤣🤣

Dear JP,  Life is much too short to be serious about anything. "Of all the follies there is none greater than wanting to make the world a better place" Moliere

14 minutes ago, Kmkub said:

There's no reason to light the cabin when you aren't there. The key card doesn't power the AC. It's only the lights. Wasting electricity on a wide-scale only leads to increased fuel usage, which leads to increased pricing.

Dear K,  I use to feel the same way. Then I grew up. I started reading, and I have not stopped. I am right in the middle of Leo Tolstoy's War and Peace ( "a classic is something everyone knows about but few ever read" Mark Twain) where he comes to the conclusion that our lives are all predetermined. Please check out post #49. We can not change things.

39 minutes ago, Kmkub said:

That's what we thought on Seaview, so we 'did the right thing' and left the card slot empty when we weren't there – and came back to computers with 0% battery charge!  It's not just lights, it's also the outlets.  So we went back to keeping the spare card in the slot, but were careful to turn out the lights manually [just like we always did in the old days...]

• Like 1

8 hours ago, George C said:

Thank you , please keep posting. How is the entertainment in YC?

Dear GC,  The entertainment is the same great, short stuff we have gotten use to sitting through. We sit on the end of a row just in case someone starts to hack, sneeze, cough, blow their nose, etc so we jump up and hightail it out of the theater. Someday we will get to see a full production in its entirety.

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Yes, this is a major upgrade to the YC amenities.  And yet, the thread on CC [https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2709224-yacht-club-changes/] completely ignores that and goes on and on about the missing Pringles.  Different folks have different priorities: I would much rather have free laundry that free mini-bar.

Yup.  And no one seems excited at the free inclusion of the Premium Internet package for YC sailings after 5/20.  But I am, for my 11/20 Seaside YC cruise.

32 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

That's what we thought on Seaview, so we 'did the right thing' and left the card slot empty when we weren't there – and came back to computers with 0% battery charge!  It's not just lights, it's also the outlets.  So we went back to keeping the spare card in the slot, but were careful to turn out the lights manually [just like we always did in the old days...]

For first timers, the card used in the slot has to be any RFID card. We usually use our last hotel key. The butler will provide a card if you request one.  We leave it in the slot for the entire cruise. The junior butler is well aware that just because the indicator light is on does not mean you're still in the room.

Of course we always turn out the lights before we leave.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

You are conveniently ignoring that this perk is for royal suites only.  The not-yet missing Pringles are for those of us plebes in YC1 suites.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Yup.  And no one seems excited at the free inclusion of the Premium Internet package for YC sailings after 5/20.  But I am, for my 11/20 Seaside YC cruise.

Everybody has their own dog in the flight as in priorities for YC privileges. Losing gelato and unlimited mini fridge snacks is a bigger loss for us than the gain of internet. 

Dollar wise the announced internet package comes out ahead. We probably only consume $30 dollars of gelato,  Its not about dollar savings with these relatively small amounts but the YC overall experience. As far as mini fridge snacks go, yes other types of additional snacks are available outside the cabin but at an inconvenience.  Yes, change happens but after having a perk like gelato and then losing it, feels like a loss.

Again value to us is in the all inclusive feel that you get in the YC. Being nicked and dime with the possibly loss of the mini bar snacks and gelato is not the direction I would like the YC to go.

Unlimited laundry that the RS gets and what we are so used to at Princess would be a gain in the YC no doubt, especially on the longer cruises.

3 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

You are conveniently ignoring that this perk is for royal suites only.  The not-yet missing Pringles are for those of us plebes in YC1 suites.

2 hours ago, mafig said:

Good catch, Happy Cruiser!

Too late.  @rattanchair already pointed that out and I already apologized.  I was referring to the May 2020 addition of an internet package to all YC cabins – much better for me than Pringles [the work of the devil – see the light and come back to Lays!]