barcelona port

bronxboy683

It took us about 25 minutes to get from the airport to our hotel, Ohla Barcelona. Our flight arrived at 7:00am and when we got to the hotel they had a room available for us! Offered us a glass of champagne but after a long day of travel we just wanted a shower and a bed to rest our eyes. Ohla was in a great location. We could walk to many places and we did a HOHO bus our second morning there. There was a bus stop right down the street and we were able to explore all over with the bus route. 
It took us twenty minutes from the hotel to get to the cruise terminal and that was with some streets closed for a half marathon. 

We stayed at Hotel Espana, right off the main street of Las Ramblas.  It was about a 10 minute taxi ride to the cruise port.  We used a travel agent to book the airfare and hotel and she even booked us drivers to pick us up at airport and take to the hotel and then pick us up at the port and take us to the airport. 

Check the Spain port listing; it is good.

We are going to Barcelona and staying at the Hotel Lleo.  We have never been before, so we cannot give you any first hand details.  We are using Barcelona Day Tours for a couple of tours.  We have had very good communication with them.

I have heard a lot of great things about Barcelona.  I know we will enjoy the trip.

We stayed at the Hotel Gaudi in 2015. It's right off La Ramblas so easy walking to all kinds of things. We stayed there during the month of May and found it reasonably priced compared to other hotels right in that area. It was also very quiet even as close as it is to La Ramblas (1/2 block). It's just a short cab ride to the port too. Even though I stayed there in 2015, I was in Barcelona just this past August. I didn't stay at the Gaudi but I did stop by there and walked into their lobby so I know it's still there.

If you're asking how far from airport to cruise port, does this mean you plan to stay at an airport hotel ?   If you have a couple of days pre-cruise, stay downtown and sightsee!  You don't want to be commuting from the airport every day!

Barcelona is absolutely beautiful , so clean and walkable.   ( El Prat Airport is about 20-30 minutes from either downtown or the cruiseport. )

We stayed at the Hotel Lleo which is about 2 blocks from Pl Catalunya. Great location and hotel !   Just 2 blocks from the Metro, 2 blocks from La Rambla, and MANY restaurants, bars, stores.  5 minute walk to  Boqueria Market.   

Hotel costs and amenities vary .  Go to hotels.com or similar site, then enter your budget and any other requirements. I'd stay within a few blocks of Pl Catalunya, altho not on LaRamblas itself as it can be busy and noisey, esp as you go south closer to the water.  

Edited by mapleleaves
  • Like 1

Hi Bronxboy

I'm on the same cruise as you. From your questions I'm assuming it's your first time in Barcelona. 

The airport is about 25-30 minutes by road ( bus or taxi ) to the city centre. Taxis are plentiful all over the city, they're metered, reasonably cheap and safe. A taxi from the airport to a city centre hotel is about 35 Euros, the bus is a lot less but won't drop you directly at your hotel.

Barcelona is a great city with some fabulous sites to see, the people are friendly and English is widely spoken. However be aware that one of the major tourist spots, Las Ramblas, is notorious for pickpockets. It's usually very busy and can get a bit rowdy at night so I would not recommend staying here.

I'm staying in a hotel on Avenue Parallel which is only a ten minute walk from Las Ramblas and a ten minute walk from the Christopher Colombus statue.  There are many hotels in this area catering for all budgets. There are also Metro stations on Avenue Parallel. The Metro system is very easy to use, clean, safe and will get you to sites all over the city.

Unlike a lot of major cities in Europe the cruise port in Barcelona is very close to the city centre. If you're down towards the Christopher Colombus statute you'll see the cruise ships. No matter where you stay in Barcelona it's best to get a taxi to the cruise ship on embarkation day. 

When we did the Carnival Horizon transatlantic sailing last year we were able to purchase alcohol in the duty free shop located in the terminal building and bring it onboard. There appeared to be no limit on bringing stuff onboard. The shelves of the duty free shop were being picked bare and the staff couldn't re-stock quickly enough. I posted this information on the roll call for the 2020 cruise and others have posted that this is their experience also.

Hope this helps.

On 12/1/2019 at 12:29 PM, kerryincork said:

There are two air ports that are classed as Barcelona Airport. One is about 25 min away. The other is about 1hr 30min. Just check you know which one you are flying to 😊

It is only Ryanair that has the cajones to label  Girona and Reus as Barcelona airport.

OP, if you use the airport code BCN you will have no worries.

We're going back to Barcelona this summer for another cruise. We are staying at Gran Hotel de Havana, where we stayed at 4 years ago & loved it. Great location about 2 blocks from Plaza Cataluna & las Ramblas. It's an older building, gutted out with modern decor, rooftop pool and rooms on the top floor with patios overlooking Barcelona. Service & personal were also great.

We stayed at Hotel Lleo. Inexpensive, great location, large clean room with a nice included breakfast. We were there in October 2018. 30€ taxi ride from the airport to Hotel Lleo. It was 20€ from the hotel to the cruise port. Returning home, it was 39€ from the cruise terminal to the airport. Again those were 2018 prices.

Hotel Lleo was 2 blocks off of Las Ramblas and about the same to get the metro to La Sagrada Familia,

Barcelona is a great city, just plan well on what you want to see and it should be a great experience.

• 1 month later...

We stayed at Casa Camper this past September and really liked it. The rate includes full breakfast including eggs and pancakes and sandwiches, snacks and drinks (soda, juices and coffee) available all day also included in your rate. Staying there again this year, post cruise.  Check rates as they often run specials.