Recent wine list? 70% price increase for NCL east/west blend....

erdoran

Just another attempt at a money grab by someone shoreside who thought, gee, let's jack up the price of our proprietary house wine by 70%, which will simultaneously jack up our service charge, and see if someone will pay it. They tried that a few years ago with certain mixed drinks. If I recall correctly, it failed miserably...I'm thinking there was something called Belvedere Peach Nectar for $17, and either the Moscow Mule or Dark n Stormy for $17, might have been an Apple Martini at that price, too. Hopefully, this experiment will also fail and prices return to prior levels.

21 hours ago, Jan_In_Maine said:

We just got off the Gem on 11/21 and at that time there wasn't an upcharge on the east-west red blend (it was very good) ... at the beginning of the cruise 11/8 they still had some North-South left.  

I'm disappointed that they are upping the cost!  Jan

Hi Jan! I am sailing the Gem on 12/21. If you care to share your thoughts/ review of your cruise, I would love to read it. Good, bad, tips would be appreciated! Thanks! This isn’t the venue for it, feel free to email me. Copper0044@gmail.com

• Like 1

1 hour ago, copper004 said:

Hi Jan! I am sailing the Gem on 12/21. If you care to share your thoughts/ review of your cruise, I would love to read it. Good, bad, tips would be appreciated! Thanks! This isn’t the venue for it, feel free to email me. Copper0044@gmail.com

Hi - Not sure if anyone else on this thread is interested in the Gem, so I will send you an email - It might be a few days!  Not sure how helpful it will be as we spent more time concentrating on our 6 ports than the ship ... But, will let you know the few things I remember about the ship!  Jan

On 12/2/2019 at 6:46 PM, seemoreroyals said:

Will do.  We are on the 8th-15th sailing.  Surely they have something left to offer under $15 a glass.  Of  all the blended reds I can recall trying on various NCL cruises,the North - South blend was by far our favorite.

I would love to see a copy of the wine list to see what is available under $15.  TIA for posting once you return from your vacation.

• 2 weeks later...

$19 for a glass of Chandon?   That's crazy.   Chandon is a very drinkable California sparkling wine, but you can get a bottle on land for less than that.  So with the premium package, you'd have to pay nearly $5.00 ($4.00 plus 20%) for a glass.  Just crazy. 

Edited by Turtles06

2 hours ago, Travelicious said:

I'm just off the Getaway.  Curiously, the cost of East and West on that ship was $9 per glass and $33 per bottle. I thought it was very good, and was happy it was not more expensive.

I'm just off the Gem today and it was also $9 per glass . (I didn't drink...I just looked at the menu prices out of curiosity.)

• 8 months later...

Did our weekly grocery shopping run to Grocery Outlet (King City, Oregon branch) and they are selling East & West Red Blend California 2017 by NCL Norwegian Cruise Line for $4.99 per bottle.  We got a couple bottles to be sure it was good.  Drinking a glass now and it is good and we'll go tomorrow and get a couple cases.  I guess it makes sense that if the ships aren't sailing they have to do something with the proprietary products made for the cruise companies.  It is the real deal ... has the little blurb by NCL on back of the bottle and shows Cellared & Bottled by The Michael Mondavi Family, Napa, California.

These are sad times.  Thank God for wine.

Edited by kjquilts
  • Like 2