Norwegian Gem 12/2 back in NY, still on the Hudson, not Pier 88 yet

mking8288

It's past 10:30 am, weather hasn't been good, scheduled to arrive at 10 am. But, not yet docked, almost ... 

Hopefully, nobody has flights before 1 pm today ...  Most of the time, ships tend to arrive earlier than planned, sometimes way too early like the Bliss yesterday, getting in around 3 am.  Not the Gem this morning, on its way back from the Caribbean. 

@10:57 am - ship has turned into Pier 88 - buses waiting at the pier for ground transfer.  

Screenshot_20191202-085627.png

Screenshot_20191202-103116.png

Screenshot_20191202-104154.png

Edited by mking8288

Finally, looked like she is docked at the pier @ 11:05 EDT 

Due to weather in the Northeast, airlines waivers are valid as long as those flying home managed to rebook & change their flights to a later one, subject to seating availability ... or just be at the gate on standby.  Flights later than 2:30 or 3 p.m. "should" work if already rescheduled, assuming cruisers are doing Express Self Walk-Off with luggage, etc. 

JFK flight ops is normal, LGA is showing 2 hours delay and EWR being worst at 3 hours - best travel time from the pier (now, per Google Map/Waze) to JFK is 45+ minutes or more, LGA at 30+ minutes and EWR at 30+ minutes. 

Light rain falling again for another 2 hours ... rain/snow mix around 4 p.m. and temperature dropping, changing to snow this evening, 1" to 2" & ending tonight.  It is December ... safe travel to all. 

39 minutes ago, dexddd said:

Must have just caught it at pier just docked when I did daily check of cams at near top of hour.

In other news, Joy making National News for second week of illness.   NCL comment ...rare occurrence ....

Not surprising at all about the illnesses.  We have hospitals in our area that are refusing to allow anyone with flu symptoms into their facilities.  The CDC stated that they missed on the H3N2 component of the flu shot this year and it will only be about 40% effective.  This will not be a good season to travel in close quarters anywhere in the northern hemisphere.

I feel bad for those on board.  Transfers and travel in general will be bad.  Weather/roads  is only getting worse.  PS--we are expecting more than 1-2" outside of NYC.  In fact already have that in Northern NJ...

Edited by jaja

If by chance, those disembarking today have the inside "scoop" for the late arrival, please feel free to share & comment.  Overnight, saw the Gem tracked on Marinetraffic, just north of Altantic City, doing under 10 knots & not in a hurry - could've easily get to the pier by  9 or 10 am, unless seas were choppy with the rough weather ... Curious minds like to know 👴 

BTW, if those on her were at the M&G, kindly post who's who among the senior officers, ie. Captain, HD, CD, F&B, Concierge & Butler, etc. - folks on next week's Roll Call would love to know ahead and thank you in advance.  

Scheduled to sail at 16:00 today and return next Friday at 10:00 - safe to bet that she isn't going to leave the pier on time for another South Caribbean trip.  

Edited by mking8288

Just finally got back to Bellmore, NY after an agonizing 3 days at sea on the Gem.

We missed St Thomas and sat miserable in the Atlantic rain for 2 days to be late into NY.

My 4th Cruise on NCL and by far the worse, lines to get off the boat over 2 hours and for 45 minutes stood in the icy cold weather.

Never seen anything like it before trying to get off the ship, absolutely terrible!

Edited by Djkevdee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Djkevdee said:

Just finally got back to Bellmore, NY after an agonizing 3 days at sea on the Gem.

We missed St Thomas and sat miserable in the Atlantic rain for 2 days to be late into NY.

My 4th Cruise on NCL and by far the worse, lines to get off the boat over 2 hours and for 45 minutes stood in the icy cold weather.

Never seen anything like it before trying to get off the ship, absolutely terrible!

What caused the delay in getting of the ship? Why did you have to wait in the cold? I will be on the ship with 2 children under 8. Any advice for disembarking?

1 hour ago, MoniMommy said:

What caused the delay in getting of the ship? Why did you have to wait in the cold? I will be on the ship with 2 children under 8. Any advice for disembarking?

most likely due to customs. if customs stop letting people off the the ship , you are stuck outside waiting to get inside the terminal if you are already off the ship, there is not that much that can be done.

Gem is finally on her way ... backing out of Pier 88 within the last few minutes.  Bon Voyage !

According to posts on the Roll Call, folks were waiting at overflow hold - Pier 90 for the ship to reach a zero count as late as 3 pm ... some with higher group #'s were still not called to go over at 5 pm.  

Footnote:  even if folks with flights after 1 or 2 pm (or, rebooked them with most travel waivers issued by legacy airlines) - not sure if they can make the ground transfer and to the airport(s) in time ...  LGA with 2.5 hours delay, JFK at 90+ minutes delay and EWR with 3+ hours delay and of course, what truly matter is individual's flight and airline.  

Edited by mking8288

39 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Gem is finally on her way ... backing out of Pier 88 within the last few minutes.  Bon Voyage !

According to posts on the Roll Call, folks were waiting at overflow hold - Pier 90 for the ship to reach a zero count as late as 3 pm ... some with higher group #'s were still not called to go over at 5 pm.  

Footnote:  even if folks with flights after 1 or 2 pm (or, rebooked them with most travel waivers issued by legacy airlines) - not sure if they can make the ground transfer and to the airport(s) in time ...  LGA with 2.5 hours delay, JFK at 90+ minutes delay and EWR with 3+ hours delay and of course, what truly matter is individual's flight and airline.  

Not a great way to start a vacation. I better bring some snacks just in case. I imagine some were very hungry as they expected to be eating lunch on the ship.

• Like 2

I’m not sure, but it wasn’t good, we were held off the Coast of NJ all day yesterday in the rain, what a great day! Then late into NY people were asked to leave their cabins at 9.30am to stand in hallways till 12pm + 

NCL staff were the 1s holding us up outside.

The lines inside for customs were not a problem at all.

9 minutes ago, Djkevdee said:

I’m not sure, but it wasn’t good, we were held off the Coast of NJ all day yesterday in the rain, what a great day! Then late into NY people were asked to leave their cabins at 9.30am to stand in hallways till 12pm + 

NCL staff were the 1s holding us up outside.

The lines inside for customs were not a problem at all.

Did they give an explanation? It seems like they would want everyone off the ship as soon as possible.

Lol no just the Cruise Director who kept saying “ welcome to NY “ to the frustrations of the leaving guests.

My 8th Cruise and I’ve never ever witnessed anything like it, the line I was in, 1 man a guest just took control of our line and got us off as the NCL worker just looked totally overwhelmed with everything.

It was that bad I think we will try another Company next.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Djkevdee said:

I’m not sure, but it wasn’t good, we were held off the Coast of NJ all day yesterday in the rain, what a great day!  ... The lines inside for customs were not a problem at all.

That helped explained a piece of the puzzle b/c I tracked the GEM late last night north of south NJ, north of Atlantic City doing around 10 knots - later than her "typical/usual coordinates" for the late evening hours.  Typically "should" be going faster at 15 or 16 knots to make up for its lateness.  Unless, maybe, could it be rough seas, choppy waters & waves - rain itself should not be a deciding factor.  Don't believe you folks had anything close to gale force wind across the bow/stern.  

Yesterday morning, the Bliss was in super, super early - at Pier 88 by 8 am, our friends on her ... promptly did the turnaround & sail on time at 3 pm.   The first wave of Express Walkoff and/or Haven guests didn't get cleared to leave until noon ... (and, I read on this week's Roll Call that they didn't reached a zero count for disembarkation until 2:30 or 3 pm - that's rather miserable - can't imagine anyone but with evening flights making it, if they had to fly home, with the weather.) 

Do you recall who is/was CD and/or the rest of the senior NCL officers on the ship.  

I'm on the Gem .

Just to get the facts straight, the Gem was not docked at Pier 88. For some unexplained reason she docked at 90. We were herded back to 88 to wait for boarding and then herded back to 90 to check in and board. There was no heat at 88 . We didn't board until 4:15 after arriving at 10:15 . 6 hours... no lunch just cookies and water. Lovely start to the cruise! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

I'm on the Gem .

Just to get the facts straight, the Gem was not docked at Pier 88. For some unexplained reason she docked at 90. We were herded back to 88 to wait for boarding and then herded back to 90 to check in and board. There was no heat at 88 . We didn't board until 4:15 after arriving at 10:15 . 6 hours... no lunch just cookies and water. Lovely start to the cruise! 

Last month, both of the gangways at pier 88 was broken and what i heard on my cruise on the dawn, it will take many months for the port to fix it. Due to this, most ships will be docking on the other side of pier 88 or 90 

Edited by shof515
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Djkevdee said:

Lol no just the Cruise Director who kept saying “ welcome to NY “ to the frustrations of the leaving guests.

My 8th Cruise and I’ve never ever witnessed anything like it, the line I was in, 1 man a guest just took control of our line and got us off as the NCL worker just looked totally overwhelmed with everything.

It was that bad I think we will try another Company next.

Or try another port.  We find Boston much easier.

30 minutes ago, Barb Nahoumi said:

Or try another port.  We find Boston much easier.

Black Falcon in Boston is a gem compared to the NYC Terminals. Terrible and not equipped for the large ships. I think NYC might have the absolute worst port facilities (no heat, no WIFI, limited seats), but it is NYC and they get away with it. The same could be said for the Port Authority Bus Terminal and many NYC airports - total rat holes. Looks like they hasn't been updated for decades. It's a shame because it is the first impression many overseas travelers have of the US. Compared to airports, terminals in Europe and Asia, the US is very very far behind.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

... Just to get the facts straight, the Gem was not docked at Pier 88 ... she docked at 90 ... herded back to 88 to wait ... back to 90 to check in and board. There was no heat at 88 . We didn't board until 4:15 after arriving at 10:15 . 6 hours... no lunch just cookies and water  ... 

Oh mine, thanks for all that.  I was trying to follow some of the comments on the Roll Call about all this, yike - this can still be ugly next Friday, with both the Bliss & Gem coming back the same morning from the Caribs for another turnaround.  

Not having heat isn't nice but for many, not eating until 4 or 5 pm ... not good at all.  Did NCL issued alerts, text messages or robocalls to try to alert those in-bound to the pier about delayed boarding ? 

Well, seas looking much calmer now, still choppy earlier; and, ship was flying along at 22+ knots (no engine/propulsion issues) last night off NJ coast before it gone out of AIS tracking range.  

1 hour ago, shof515 said:

Last month, both of the gangways at pier 88 was broken and what i heard ... will take many months for the port to fix it ... ships will be docking on the other side of pier 88 or 90 

Oops, between this & what NJH posted above - beginning to see more pieces of the broken puzzle, explained the reason for the Bliss to be docked on the other side of Pier 88.  Broken gangways should not affect the building's heating system - unless, it's down for maintenance too.  

In all fairness, these are port facilities and not really problems that NCL can directly "fix" on the dime ... but, surely - the cruiseline will take the heat, in part for not possibly alerting the passengers, fairly or not. 

Oddly enough, our friends that came off the Bliss on Sunday morning, at Pier 88, said their disembarkation was smooth, easy & quick ... unlike boarding the week earlier.  

Well, I hope that some of these issues get worked out & resolved, folks on next week's Roll Calls should get a heads-up on these ... and, our turn to see the "dump" first hand.  

Edited by mking8288

43 minutes ago, blcruising said:

Black Falcon in Boston is a gem compared to the NYC Terminals. Terrible and not equipped for the large ships. I think NYC might have the absolute worst port facilities (no heat, no WIFI, limited seats), but it is NYC and they get away with it. The same could be said for the Port Authority Bus Terminal and many NYC airports - total rat holes. Looks like they hasn't been updated for decades. It's a shame because it is the first impression many overseas travelers have of the US. Compared to airports, terminals in Europe and Asia, the US is very very far behind.

Absolutely agree with this.  I was born and raised in NY (Long Island), and now that I have lived all over the country, the transportation facilities in NYC are definitely at the bottom of almost every list.  They are all old, decaying, smelly, obsolete relics that need to be torn down and rebuilt.  Our little, 15-gate airport here in Savannah is a wonderful place compared to LGA, JFK and EWR.  The Port of Miami makes the Port of NY look like a third-world country.

SAV picture

Capture.JPG

Edited by GA Dave
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, blcruising said:

I know.  We boarded in New York a few times, and at least once in New Jersey.  None were great experiences.  

Even Penn Station was difficult for getting to the street level with luggage.  I didn't notice an elevator, and had to use the escalator to get to the street, or upon return to go down.  That's dangerous.

1 hour ago, shof515 said:

Last month, both of the gangways at pier 88 was broken and what i heard on my cruise on the dawn, it will take many months for the port to fix it. Due to this, most ships will be docking on the other side of pier 88 or 90 

does where you park change because of this? i would assume they direct you to closer parking but...