Booking a Cabin for Kids w/1 Parent in Each Then Switching

1st4our25th

I'm trying to book two cabins across the hall from each other. It won't let me book our kids in a room without a parent (ages 20, 16, 14). Should I just book myself and two children in one and my husband and one child in the other and switch rooms once on the ship? How would that work? Or should I just call Carnival and let them book it the right way? I don't want to have to put all the names down yet just in case something comes up and our 20 year old backs out. It says in the terms "no name changes".

Yup.

Another benefit to this kind of booking is that only one of you have to purchase Cheers, should one of you decide you want Cheers, while the other does not.

If you do the cheers for only one, you may have to leave the booking with a child in place.  Perhaps others can chime in here, regarding Cheers.

Edited by VentureMan_2000
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

Yup.

Another benefit to this kind of booking is that only one of you have to purchase Cheers, should one of you decide you want Cheers, while the other does not.

Thank you. So do we need to go to guest services because of  the room keys? Also, is there a charge for switching keys at guest services?

You could do it while booking if you call Carnival directly to book, or thru your Travel Agent.  Computer booking is not flexible.  Carnival's policy for kids under 26 (unless married) is that they need to be booked in a cabin that is no more than 3 doors away from your cabin.  

So calling would probably save you a whole lot of time and hassle.  Again, the only benefit really is, if only one of you want to purchase CHEERS.  Otherwise, both adults in the cabin have to purchase CHEERS.

Good luck.

We just did this on the Valor.  You don't have to tell anyone.  Have the room steward set up the rooms however you want.  And go to guest services and they will give you an extra key to each room.  You don't have to tell them why you are asking for extra keys.

Edited by j1d1
  • Like 1

You can request that the extra keys don’t have charging privileges. We travel with my son and his family and I get him a key to access our cabin. We spend most of our time on our balcony and we cannot hear him knocking.  As a privacy thing, we always double lock the door.

5 hours ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

You could do it while booking if you call Carnival directly to book, or thru your Travel Agent.  Computer booking is not flexible.  Carnival's policy for kids under 26 (unless married) is that they need to be booked in a cabin that is no more than 3 doors away from your cabin.  

So calling would probably save you a whole lot of time and hassle.  Again, the only benefit really is, if only one of you want to purchase CHEERS.  Otherwise, both adults in the cabin have to purchase CHEERS.

Good luck.

Carnivals policy is under 21 (unless married). Can book on your own if everybody in the cabin is 21 or older.🙂

It's very easy.  We have done this several times to take advantage of Ocean Players club discounts.  Hubbs and I both get offers.  My niece and her family don't gamble.We book myself, my niece and her 2 daughters in one cabin, hubbs, niece"e's hubbs and their son in another.    Once on board, just go to desk services and get room keys remade/re-assigned.  

Hope this helps!

baf

• Like 1

My wife and I took our two oldest daughters on a cruise with us in 2017. My daughters at the time were 18 and 16. We booked rooms across the hall from each other with my wife with one child in one room, and me with the other child in the other room. Once it was all booked, we just switched names around in the online cruise manager at carnival.com. No muss, no fuss. 

12 hours ago, sunonfire said:

You can request that the extra keys don’t have charging privileges. We travel with my son and his family and I get him a key to access our cabin. We spend most of our time on our balcony and we cannot hear him knocking.  As a privacy thing, we always double lock the door.

I believe the extra key cards do not have a folio number on them.  That way nothing can be charged on them. I haven't gotten one before so I could be wrong about that.

19 hours ago, j1d1 said:

We just did this on the Valor.  You don't have to tell anyone.  Have the room steward set up the rooms however you want.  And go to guest services and they will give you an extra key to each room.  You don't have to tell them why you are asking for extra keys.

This is exactly what my daughter and son in law are doing. Beneficial for them, as she does not drink alcohol, and he needs the drink package. So, she booked herself and one child in one cabin, and he with the other two in the other, then kids will be in the inside cabin and she and hubby in the balcony cabin. She will be getting extra keys once onboard to both cabins.

• Like 1

This is so strange because I *thought* the Carnival policy allowed you to book kids of that age pretty much anywhere so long as their guardian was on the ship.  (Admittedly, I have not paid that much attention to the older kid policy.) In fact, you can book kids much younger than your kids in the room next to you or across the hall so long as they aren't in a balcony.  We are sailing in June on Pan. and I wanted a Havana room, but we were bringing our kids so I got a Havana interior next to non-Havana interior and we were allowed to put kids (6 and 7) in one and us in the other. (Havana rooms have prohibition against under 12 in the room.) However, my kids did have to be in an interior or window. They won't allow you to book kids under 12 by themselves in a balcony room for obvious reasons even if they are next door to their guardian. 

Edited by Eli_6

On 12/2/2019 at 11:56 PM, Illbcruzn4life said:

Carnivals policy is under 21 (unless married). Can book on your own if everybody in the cabin is 21 or older.🙂

Yup, and if you are under 21, there has to be someone in your room over either 25 or 26 unless it is your spouse if the other person in the room is over 21, but under 25 or 26.  We did an office cruise for my husband's medical practice and he has one 19 year old employee. She wanted to room with her work buddy, but her work buddy was only 23 and Carnival would not allow that. Instead, she is booked with a late 20's lady.

Edited by Eli_6

We book our kids in their own cabins all the time and have been since they were little (around age 7) and never had a problem.  There are restrictions to the location of the cabin and these restrictions can be found directly on the Carnival Minor Guest Policy page.

• Guests 12 and younger
    If the relative or guardian insists on booking separate staterooms, minors must either be directly across the hall or next door. Guests 12 and under may not be assigned to a balcony stateroom without a relative or guardian (25 years of age or older) traveling in the balcony stateroom with them. 
  • Guests 13 - 17 years of age
    Can be separated by up to 3 staterooms from a relative or guardian (25 years of age or older).
  • Guests 18 – 20 years of age
    Do not have any restrictions and may book whatever location they prefer
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, jdoc2007 said:

We book our kids in their own cabins all the time and have been since they were little (around age 7) and never had a problem.  There are restrictions to the location of the cabin and these restrictions can be found directly on the Carnival Minor Guest Policy page.

• Guests 12 and younger
    If the relative or guardian insists on booking separate staterooms, minors must either be directly across the hall or next door. Guests 12 and under may not be assigned to a balcony stateroom without a relative or guardian (25 years of age or older) traveling in the balcony stateroom with them. 
  • Guests 13 - 17 years of age
    Can be separated by up to 3 staterooms from a relative or guardian (25 years of age or older).
  • Guests 18 – 20 years of age
    Do not have any restrictions and may book whatever location they prefer

We've never had a problem booking room for our kids either. We do book with a TA tho so that may be the difference. We never had to get extra keys made or anything but the kids rooms were always next to our or across the hall.

On 12/2/2019 at 6:58 PM, 1st4our25th said:

I don't want to have to put all the names down yet just in case something comes up and our 20 year old backs out. It says in the terms "no name changes".

Book another rate other then early saver rate.   You can make changes and cancellations up til sailing with any rate other then early saver.   With early saver you could lose 250. if he decides he cant go

16 hours ago, serene56 said:

Book another rate other then early saver rate.   You can make changes and cancellations up til sailing with any rate other then early saver.   With early saver you could lose 250. if he decides he cant go

Is this definitely the case?  If so, I am ticked because I specifically called carnival and asked for a rate I could change name reservations on and was told I could change up until booking.  Then, when I called in, they charged me $250.  I asked to speak with a supervisor as that was not what I had previously been told and that lady told me it was $250 regardless of the type I booked because it was so close to sailing. (About 15 days).

11 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

Is this definitely the case?  If so, I am ticked because I specifically called carnival and asked for a rate I could change name reservations on and was told I could change up until booking.  Then, when I called in, they charged me $250.  I asked to speak with a supervisor as that was not what I had previously been told and that lady told me it was $250 regardless of the type I booked because it was so close to sailing. (About 15 days).

other rates let you cancel BEFORE final payment.    https://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/legal-notice/ticket-contract.aspx?icid=CC_Footer_84

6 day or longer cruises, as well as all Alaskan, European, Transatlantic, and Panama Canal cruises (excluding cruises purchased under the Pack & Go fares):

Up to 91 days  

None (except Pack & Go, Early Saver* and Super Saver fares**)

90 to 56 days   Deposit
      55 to 30 days   Deposit or 50% of Total Fare, whichever is greater
      29 to 15 days   Deposit or 75% of Total Fare, whichever is greater
      14 days or less   100% of Total Fare