At what point is it ok to take a "saved" deck chair?

mfan

I have seen many threads and reviews lamenting about the flagrant abuses of using towels and other items to save deck chairs, especially next to the pools.

I'm sailing in about 3 weeks, so I'd like to know what people think is acceptable? If I'm standing next to a pool watch my young kids swimming and there are obviously "saved" chairs nearby, when is it ok for me to make use of one? After 15 minutes? 30 minutes? 60 minutes? Never?

I can understand if the owner is in the pool or in the vicinity. But, I don't think it's fair if the chair was "saved" so the owner can go to dining room to eat a meal, to participate in auction/bingo/games, or to gamble.

I take it right away if it has that unused look. I remove the things, and move the chair. This way they never know it's me. :eek:

HOWEVER...

I usually just take a chair from the draw pile, and place it in a open area.

I have been pouring over pictures of the Glory to tide me over until our cruise on March 11th. I have noticed sooooo many of those saved chairs.

Unfortunately, I don't think I could move someones stuff without thinking it was going to turn into a confrontation. When I'm on vacation the only contact I want with other people are happy exchanges.

Although I absolutely think its wrong, I just know I wouldn't move someone else's stuff.

I think Carnival really needs to step up and have someone monitor the situation. Maybe they should create a position - someone that walks around and places little stickers on the chairs - like abondoned vehicles. If there is still no one there in 5 minutes -all the stuff goes into a lost and found bin.

Diane

Luv your idea Diane. I leave in less than 2 wks for Valor and will be going w/2 young firls that I know are going to want to stay at the pool just about all day. Obviously will need a chair and I won't be a happy camper if I can find one. Like you, I have a hard time removing other peoples things even though I know I shouldn't feel the least bit guilty about it. Guess I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed and get up at 7 am to save my own!

On the same hand, haven't you ever had nature call (just when your better half went to go get drinks), only to return 5 minutes later with someone in your chair and them carelessly tossing your things aside like it's garbage? I hate chair hogs but, you have to give the party a small grace period. I certainly do.

Yes, one should give a "grace Period" to these saved chairs~I usually scope out the situation and maybe go in the pool or hot tub. Then, I glance at what has been left to secure the chair. If it's nothing of significance, I put it under the chair and have a seat. That way, if the saver returns, their stuff hasn't been disguarded, just "saved".

I was told once by an experience cruiser that when you find items left unattended in a lounge chair for more than an hour that you should help the poor soul that forgot them by taking the items to the lost and found. :)

LOL

that was so well put !!!!

Here's a question from another point of view. If you're going to go for a swim in the pool, is it ok to leave things on your chair to save it? A few years ago, I was on the Triumph and I went for a swim/hot tub and was gone for probably half an hour. When I got back to my chair (where I had spent 3 hours) my stuff had been unceremoniously dumped on the ground.

I'm all for taking a chair that's clearly just being saved while someone goes about their business but what does everyone think about what's appropriate in the above situation?

I’m thinking the approach that I’m going to take on our up coming cruise is to seek out someone saving a group of chairs and asking them if they wouldn’t mind some help by my DW and I saving the ones farthest out for them. ;)

On the same hand, haven't you ever had nature call (just when your better half went to go get drinks),

Absolutely, but I'm never really alone. I simply ask someone close to stand guard.

At the same time, if someone is "scouting", and asks me if the thong, book or towel is my friend, and I've never seen anyone in the chair in question, the fact that it's empty is history.

Here's a question from another point of view. If you're going to go for a swim in the pool, is it ok to leave things on your chair to save it?

I always make sure to keep one eye scanning in the vicinity of my chair if I go for that swim.

We saw a very heated issue come from a chair hog incident, on the Triumph a couple were sitting on the chairs THAN a wet ,very tan, thong wearing, obnoxious drunk woman, came pranching up to the couple accused them of dumping her towel and stealing her watch and having her drink taken away. She was yelling at the top of her lungs and created a very tense moment. Demanded money from the "theves" or she was reporting them. She would let no one ,but her shreeking voice be heard until... her also very tan, drunk husband came up and advised her she was on the wrong steps of where their chairs were. An apology for the poor couple who faithly waited for an open chair ,that had not been sat in for at least a 1/2 hour and folded the towel very nicely beside it ;oh no -she informed them that they are the people who ruin it for "those" who deserve to be in the sun. It was quite a sight and entertaining for about 15-20 minutes. My rule if you have an issue with the chair I choose to sit in,take over or use since you've been gone an hour have at it ,I'll tell you what I think and let you know we ALL are here to have a nice, good, relaxing time. Go have a drink !

I was told once by an experience cruiser that when you find items left unattended in a lounge chair for more than an hour that you should help the poor soul that forgot them by taking the items to the lost and found. :)

LOVE it!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!

I have seen many threads and reviews lamenting about the flagrant abuses of using towels and other items to save deck chairs, especially next to the pools.

I'm sailing in about 3 weeks, so I'd like to know what people think is acceptable? If I'm standing next to a pool watch my young kids swimming and there are obviously "saved" chairs nearby, when is it ok for me to make use of one? After 15 minutes? 30 minutes? 60 minutes? Never?

I can understand if the owner is in the pool or in the vicinity. But, I don't think it's fair if the chair was "saved" so the owner can go to dining room to eat a meal, to participate in auction/bingo/games, or to gamble.

I give it about 15 minutes. If it looks like it has been used and the "owner" may be off for lunch, a walk around the deck or something like that I think an hour or more is appropriate.

Here's my take on your particular situation. Say you're by the pool watching your children and you see a chair that has been empty for 5-10 minutes. Go ahead and sit. If someone sitting nearby says it's being saved, explain why you're there and tell them you'll get up as soon as the former occupant comes back. This is a case of parents looking out for their kids rather than just leaving them. Who knows, you may make a new friend!

When cruising on the Mariner of the Seas I was cussed out by a young rude girl for taking her chair. My husband and I had been at the pool for TWO hours sitting on the side and in the pool. We noticed this one chair with a RC towel that was deserted, and no one nearby had any idea whose is was. Everyone said the towel had been there since the am. We made the mistake of moving the towel and both sitting on the chair for a few minutes. This girl blasted over about 45 minutes later and screamed at us. Quite honestly it ruined my wonderful day.:( I really tried to be nice and appologized. The nicer I was the nastier she got. The whole thing was loud and embarassing. Anyway it ruined my wonderful afternoon and to me was not worth it.

Everyone has to take a quick break every now and then and leave your chair I know I do. But way too many put a towel out the night before and show up at 2:00 for "their chair".

What I prefer to do when I see a whole row of "saved" chairs with nobody sitting in any of them, is to just take all of the items and pile them up on the chair at the end of the row.

Voila, a half dozen free chairs, and the "hogs" can fight over the one remaining seat.

I think Carnival really needs to step up and have someone monitor the situation. Maybe they should create a position - someone that walks around and places little stickers on the chairs - like abondoned vehicles. If there is still no one there in 5 minutes -all the stuff goes into a lost and found bin.

I like this idea!

Why wait for CCL to do it, let's print up batches of our own "Chair Hog" stickers to apply to the towel or suntan lotion bottle or single left-foot flip flop (with the chair next door saved by a suspiciously similar looking righty)?

A pack of fifty stickers could run around six bucks.

Boy, did I ever make an elderly european woman made in the big show lounge on the Legend a few years ago.

She literally was saving 12 seats in the the theater, despite the announcements about no seat saving. Now if she was only saving a few seats....OK---they might be in the bathroom or something---but this was obviously not the case. I walked right up with my wife and thanked her for saving some seats for us and proceeded to sit down. She had a fit! But only embarassed herself---not me. Other passengers were really enjoying the scene, and soon al of the seats were filled up by people other than whom she was saving them for. She was very MAD!

Never, just because you are too lazy to get up early and get your own chair doesn't mean you should steal from others that aren't.

Never, just because you are too lazy to get up early and get your own chair doesn't mean you should steal from others that aren't.

We don't use the chairs by the pool so it is never a problem for us..... But this was just rude!!! I think it's great that you arise early to save your spot, But if your going to do somthing else you should be gracious enough to remove your belongings and let someone else enjoy. Just my opinion.

It isn't being lazy. The people who get up early to save "their" chairs are piggish and not very polite. Nobody is stealing anything from you. It's not yours to begin with. It has become one of the most annoying parts of cruising...seeing people scramble to get "their" chair and then proceed to hog it the entire day. These are probably the same people that line up to get into the dining room...to make sure nobody sits at their assigned table?!?:confused:

You are not serious are you. Chairs are to be used. Not "held" for hours while someone sleeps in. If I find a book, a mask, egtc. on a chair and no one around. All the stuff goes to lost and found, and the chairs get used.

A Cunard cruiser I was speaking with recently, accused Carnival cruisers of being boorish. I did not agree with him, but given your comment, I guess you're the one he meant. :p

This is a really dicey question -- I put my towel, t-shirt, shoes, and bag with book, suncscreen, etc. on a lounger and went to use the restroom. I returned in what? 5 minutes and my stuff was in a heap on the deck and the man who did it wouldn't even speak to me! I was so furious and there were no loungers left so I had to leave the pool area. We have been on 8 cruises and that was the first time that had happened, although DH and I eat breakfast separately so that he can sit in the lounger while I eat! He doesn't care to lie out by the pool, so he just saves it for me -- that's about 9am, too! I would be hesitant to move anyone's stuff. Right along with the lounger problem are the unattended, or not, children in the pools horsing around and jumping in. Our last cruise was on Holland America and I watched a mother yell at her son 3 times and the father 2 times and he still kept on doing cannon balls -- the parents threw their hands up in the air and walked away. Kids rule and parents drool I guess.

Archived