New Zealand Visa Question ?

nimiq

Yikes is it me or what ....I have been reading on this subject and have trouble understanding what visa to apply for my cruise. 

First I am a Canadian cruiser that will be doing a Cruise on the Ovation Of The seas Departing  Sydney with stops in New Zealand with a return in Sydney.

I applied for an NZeTA for passengers on transit or cruise but upon receiving the confirmation email it says I need to pay the IVL if I wish to visit New Zealand.

I have been on the website and cant seem to find where to pay this IVL. Will this be done by the cruise line ?

Did I apply for the wrong visa ? Should I have just applied for a visitors visa instead ?

Below is a picture that made me decide on taking the NZeTA for transit and cruise passengers and the picture from the emailed received saying need to pay for this IVL if I enter New Zealand.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Sea ya

Eric

Visa 2.PNG

Visa 3.PNG

The Government of New Zealand's web site states that when you arrive in New Zealand via cruise ship you are "Deemed to have a Visa."  From what I read is that you automatically get a visa at the first port of call and expires 30 days after.  Maybe I'm reading it wrong but that's what I get out of it.  

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-zealand-visas/apply-for-a-visa/about-visa/nzeta#https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-zealand-visas/apply-for-a-visa/tools-and-information/your-journey-to-new-zealand/before-you-travel-to-new-zealand/arriving-by-cruise-ship/slider

2 minutes ago, snowglobe said:

Do you recall paying a fee, even a small one?

We did at the time that we applied - it was sort of automatic.

(Roughly $30 or so... that’s the IVL.)

I only paid like $9 each for that transit NZeTA

That’s odd. For us it was intrinsically all part of the same transaction, not a two-parter.

I double-checked our e-mails, and this is what showed:

Purchase Summary:

New Zealand Electronic Travel Authority fee*: $12.00 NZD

International Visitor Conservation and Tourism Levy: $35.00 NZD

TOTAL $47.00 NZD

- which is roughly $30~ CAD.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2019 at 3:59 PM, snowglobe said:

That’s odd. For us it was intrinsically all part of the same transaction, not a two-parter.

I double-checked our e-mails, and this is what showed:

Purchase Summary:

New Zealand Electronic Travel Authority fee*: $12.00 NZD

International Visitor Conservation and Tourism Levy: $35.00 NZD

TOTAL $47.00 NZD

- which is roughly $30~ CAD.

So strange as it never gave me the option to purchase the IVL ....wondering if I just of toggle VISA instead of transit.

Make sure you use the official New Zealand eta app.  There are many websites on line that will charge you extra, and basically fraud you out of

money.  I think it was about $135 uSD total for a family of four. If I remember right.

52 minutes ago, SRF said:

Wouldn't a Canadian be under the visa waiver setup?

I thought that was the case between all of the Commonwealth countries.

This started in Oct or sept this year.  Pretty much everyone requires an ETA now.   Helps them collect revenue.   supposedly a chunk of the fees are conservation fees based on the eta website info.

1 hour ago, nimiq said:

So strange as it never gave me the option to purchase the IVL ....wondering if I just of toggle VISA instead of transit.

This is the official NZ gov’t link that I used: 

https://nzeta.immigration.govt.nz

My confirmation e-mail came from: no-reply@online.immigration.govt.nz

Rimmit may be onto something... there are lots of visa ‘agents’ out there.

Walking through the application process myself was confusing.  In some places it seemed pretty clear that the transit ETA was for short term passengers between flights but in other places it made it seem like cruise ship passengers just needed a transit ETA.

As I read on it seemed more clear that visitors have to pay the IVL.  In places it suggested cruise ship visitors are not "in transit".  I had a hard time believing that the IVL would only apply to visitors staying in a residence or hotel.  I was confused and it wasn't that much money so to be safe I went ahead with the IVL version.  This is what my email stated:

Your New Zealand Electronic Travel Authority (NZeTA) has been issued.

This NZeTA authorises you to travel to or transit New Zealand.

When you travel to New Zealand, you must check in with the passport listed here.

6 hours ago, snowglobe said:

This is the official NZ gov’t link that I used: 

https://nzeta.immigration.govt.nz

My confirmation e-mail came from: no-reply@online.immigration.govt.nz

Rimmit may be onto something... there are lots of visa ‘agents’ out there.

i was almost scammed.  I got all the way to checkout, and the price was nearly what I paid for our Russian visas.   I was like, that can’t be right.  I was told it would be 40ish USD a person.  Sure enough, it was some agent website that sounded like the real thing.  I immediately downloaded the official app (that is rather buggy) and would only use it despite its flaws for fear of being scammed

56 minutes ago, snowglobe said:

There is no need to download and use the app, if you go though the official New Zealand  government website... just be sure that’s it’s the real thing.

correct.  I chose to use the app as it eliminated the possibility of it being a scam website.   These days the scam website addresses are so close to the real thing I didn’t want to risk it being a fake website.

4 hours ago, twangster said:

Walking through the application process myself was confusing.  In some places it seemed pretty clear that the transit ETA was for short term passengers between flights but in other places it made it seem like cruise ship passengers just needed a transit ETA.

As I read on it seemed more clear that visitors have to pay the IVL.  In places it suggested cruise ship visitors are not "in transit".  I had a hard time believing that the IVL would only apply to visitors staying in a residence or hotel.  I was confused and it wasn't that much money so to be safe I went ahead with the IVL version.  This is what my email stated:

When you travel to New Zealand, you must check in with the passport listed here.

That is probably what I have done wrong as I went ahead with the transit opetion which at the end it gave me no option to pay or add the IVL.

Now I quess I will have to give them a call as it is and was so confusing.

Eric

We too are Canadians and are travelling on on Radiance of the Seas round trip Sydney to NZ in January. I used the official government website noted in post #12. 

This is the message received (one for each of us) as soon as I completed my online application and payment:

We are reviewing your request for a New Zealand Electronic Travel Authority (NZeTA). We will let you know within 72 hours whether your NZeTA has been issued or refused, it could take as little as 10 minutes.

Do not attempt to travel to New Zealand until we approve your NZeTA.

Purchase Summary:

New Zealand Electronic Travel Authority fee*:
$12.00 NZD
International Visitor Conservation and Tourism Levy:
$35.00 NZD

TOTAL
$47.00 NZD

Immediately following the application and payment, within a few minutes, I received the following in a separate email for each of us: 

When arriving in New Zealand, you must declare any biosecurity risk items.

Now your NZeTA has been issued, what next?

It is your responsibility to ensure that the passport details in this NZeTA exactly match the details of the passport you will travel on. If these details do not match, you will be prevented from travelling to New Zealand. You can use our online form to correct some details, such as your passport number, otherwise you must request a new NZeTA.
  You must ensure that your passport expiry date complies with the rules about how long it must be valid for at the time of travel.
  You must ensure that you meet all other requirements to travel to New Zealand, including holding outward passage (either a return ticket to your home country, or an outward ticket to a destination that you have the right to enter) before travelling to New Zealand, and having sufficient funds for your stay. It is also strongly recommended that you hold travel insurance. When you arrive in New Zealand, Immigration New Zealand must be satisfied that you are a genuine visitor.
  This NZeTA does not guarantee that you will be allowed to travel to or enter New Zealand. Immigration New Zealand will continue to assess your eligibility to travel, including using information provided by your carrier relating to your travel booking.
  You must apply for entry permission and a visa on arrival in New Zealand.

For information on what to see and do in New Zealand, visit https://www.newzealand.com/ie/.
See you in New Zealand!

3 hours ago, banditoo said:

We too are Canadians and are travelling on on Radiance of the Seas round trip Sydney to NZ in January. I used the official government website noted in post #12. 

This is the message received (one for each of us) as soon as I completed my online application and payment:

We are reviewing your request for a New Zealand Electronic Travel Authority (NZeTA). We will let you know within 72 hours whether your NZeTA has been issued or refused, it could take as little as 10 minutes.

Do not attempt to travel to New Zealand until we approve your NZeTA.

Purchase Summary:

New Zealand Electronic Travel Authority fee*:
$12.00 NZD
International Visitor Conservation and Tourism Levy:
$35.00 NZD

TOTAL
$47.00 NZD

Immediately following the application and payment, within a few minutes, I received the following in a separate email for each of us: 

When arriving in New Zealand, you must declare any biosecurity risk items.

Now your NZeTA has been issued, what next?

It is your responsibility to ensure that the passport details in this NZeTA exactly match the details of the passport you will travel on. If these details do not match, you will be prevented from travelling to New Zealand. You can use our online form to correct some details, such as your passport number, otherwise you must request a new NZeTA.
  You must ensure that your passport expiry date complies with the rules about how long it must be valid for at the time of travel.
  You must ensure that you meet all other requirements to travel to New Zealand, including holding outward passage (either a return ticket to your home country, or an outward ticket to a destination that you have the right to enter) before travelling to New Zealand, and having sufficient funds for your stay. It is also strongly recommended that you hold travel insurance. When you arrive in New Zealand, Immigration New Zealand must be satisfied that you are a genuine visitor.
  This NZeTA does not guarantee that you will be allowed to travel to or enter New Zealand. Immigration New Zealand will continue to assess your eligibility to travel, including using information provided by your carrier relating to your travel booking.
  You must apply for entry permission and a visa on arrival in New Zealand.

For information on what to see and do in New Zealand, visit https://www.newzealand.com/ie/.
See you in New Zealand!

You did it correctly. I called them and was told to redo it and this time not put transit passenger and it should make me pay for both.

unfortunately I purchased the in transit (airport passenger) visa. The lady said I should of read the whole page before purchasing it. I told her that when you compare the visas for cruise ship passenger it could get confusing. 

Anyhow I lost $9 x2 but this will not distract me from enjoying my vacation. Just hope this helps others.

thanks all

Eric