political unrest on St. Martin

beachbum53

1 hour ago, P.A. said:

Me and my two daughters will be going to Divi Little Bay resort mid Feb.  Will this be a safe area? We have it booked through an independent tour company. I haven't paid yet and can cancel up to two days before. We'll have to take a taxi over there.

Thank you in advance.☺️

It is extremely safe and there is no need to book it through an independent tour company. Just head over and rent chairs and umbrella.

• Like 1

Your taxi ride to Divi Little Bay Resort will take all of 5-7 minutes and cost you $6/pp each way. In fact, when standing in front of the resort you can see your ship across the bay.   No need to book with a tour company.  When you arrive just head down to the beach and there will be an attendant there to rent chairs and umbrellas.  There will be taxis waiting when you get ready to leave.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your info..very helpful. I will probably just cancel my tour then. I did find out that even with the tour your not allowed in the pool area unless you are a hotel guest. So that was a bummer.

Glad to know it is a safe area. Thanks for sharing.👍😎

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2020 at 9:37 PM, Husky1987 said:

If I recall, we gave the driver $30 for the trip there and $40 for the trip back. He didn’t quote us that much (think it was $25) but I tipped extra because I wanted to make sure he would come back at a pre-arranged time to take us back to the ship and when he showed at the exact time I tipped him even more on the way back. 

$20 for two loungers and an umbrella. We love Rainbow, it’s our go-to in SXM.

Great info - did you reserve your loungers in advance? Just walk off the ship and grab the nearest cabbie?

Thanks...

1 hour ago, LadyDivot said:

Great info - did you reserve your loungers in advance? Just walk off the ship and grab the nearest cabbie?

Thanks...

No reservations.  Just got off the ship (waited for the mad rush off the ship right at first call to end, so maybe an hour after docking) and went past the lines at the taxi stand because we didn't want to sit in a van waiting for it to fill up, even if it saved a few $$$.  One of the guys selling tours just past the vans said he'd find us a car taxi after we told him we just wanted a ride straight to Grand Case.  Five minutes later we were in a car.  I think if you walk out of the port area you're more likely to find a taxi but someone else may chime in on the best place to actually catch one...we may have just gotten lucky (when his first guy didn't want to take us, we just started walking down the street towards town....he chased us down about 100 yards later saying he found one).

I'd head out to Grand Case earlier rather than later.  Around lunch time it's a popular place for tours to stop (we had a couple tour boats and a couple vans worth of people stop by around then) so it may be tougher to get good loungers at that time.  But I don't recall it ever being really full.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, EeyoreRN said:

DH and I are considering booking a week at the not-yet-opened Secrets in Anse Marcel.  Can anyone here offer any thoughts about this property or area?  There are no guest reviews, as it doesn't open until March.  Thanks!

I'd love to know more about this one too.

On 2/7/2020 at 1:06 PM, Husky1987 said:

No reservations.  Just got off the ship (waited for the mad rush off the ship right at first call to end, so maybe an hour after docking) and went past the lines at the taxi stand because we didn't want to sit in a van waiting for it to fill up, even if it saved a few $$$.  One of the guys selling tours just past the vans said he'd find us a car taxi after we told him we just wanted a ride straight to Grand Case.  Five minutes later we were in a car.  I think if you walk out of the port area you're more likely to find a taxi but someone else may chime in on the best place to actually catch one...we may have just gotten lucky (when his first guy didn't want to take us, we just started walking down the street towards town....he chased us down about 100 yards later saying he found one).

I'd head out to Grand Case earlier rather than later.  Around lunch time it's a popular place for tours to stop (we had a couple tour boats and a couple vans worth of people stop by around then) so it may be tougher to get good loungers at that time.  But I don't recall it ever being really full.

Can not wait! 13 days til we leave and I’m so excited to go to Grand Case.