Ncl Star cancelled 4/9/20 without any notice from NCL

schildiams

I’ve heard back that all changes are being made a little at a time and that we will not owe the additional amount currently showing as past due. I will feel better when I see all restored to a booking on the Dawn = what we had on Star. This will be our 10th time on Dawn. Although we obviously love her, we were looking forward to a change. But happy Star will be repaired in time for British Isles in September.

Have not yet set foot on an NCL ship and I am already ticked off! First time ever cruisers booked on Star for 3/29/20 Southern Caribbean sailing to the ABC islands.  Just yesterday I spotted reviews from people very upset over their November Mediterranean cruise on NCL Star, that had changes in literary due to speed problem.  Today I get an email stating our upcoming itinerary now skips Bonaire and substitutes Nassau due to speed problems.  Of course this was disseminated AFTER the date to cancel without penalty, and my travel agency's call to NCL resulted in, "the ship is cleared to sail"! I thought I'd researched this cruise thoroughly, but I apparently did not.  Makes me feel a little "crusty" toward NCL AND the travel agency, as I'm not particularly keen on even the possibility of bobbing around dead in the water should the other means of propulsion quit!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tbneau50 said:

I'm not particularly keen on even the possibility of bobbing around dead in the water should the other means of propulsion quit!

It's a problem with the engine not the propulsion. And the ship has 4 engines. Being down an engine or two just means the ship can't travel as fast as previously planned so they have to change the itinerary to account for that. 

15 minutes ago, tbneau50 said:

Have not yet set foot on an NCL ship and I am already ticked off! First time ever cruisers booked on Star for 3/29/20 Southern Caribbean sailing to the ABC islands.  Just yesterday I spotted reviews from people very upset over their November Mediterranean cruise on NCL Star, that had changes in literary due to speed problem.  Today I get an email stating our upcoming itinerary now skips Bonaire and substitutes Nassau due to speed problems.  Of course this was disseminated AFTER the date to cancel without penalty, and my travel agency's call to NCL resulted in, "the ship is cleared to sail"! I thought I'd researched this cruise thoroughly, but I apparently did not.  Makes me feel a little "crusty" toward NCL AND the travel agency, as I'm not particularly keen on even the possibility of bobbing around dead in the water should the other means of propulsion quit!

Sorry to hear they substituted Nassau for Bonaire. They are doing this more and more with the after final payment adjustments. It's a clear abuse of their legal rights under the terms of the one-sided contract they require you to sign, especially in this instance, where the speed issue has been known for some time. Maybe they'll eventually offer a $50 onboard credit as a gesture of goodwill. If not the best option going forward would be to book NCL really last minute of you are able, or just find another cruise line, or purchase cancel for any reason travel insurance. Yes, this can happen on any line but NCL has developed a reputation by its repeated actions over time. Good luck.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Despite becoming part of NY City over 100 years ago, to this day many Brooklyn natives would dispute your statement. :classic_biggrin:

LOL - As someone who grew up in Suffolk County, I always correct people from Brooklyn and Queens that say they are from Long Island. While technically true, they are from  The City and not from Long Island.

In any case, I just wanted the OP to know that the term NYC didn't necessarily mean a port change.

4 hours ago, tbneau50 said:

NCL has a pattern of doing this all the time.  Few notice and once the cruise is over, the complaints fall into the 'deaf ears' file.  NCL does not pay a price for this unethical (illegal?) bait and switch, so they continue to do it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not with me, I notice. I have switched over to another line we tried and found that they respect their customers more. I have cruised only with NCL for the last 9 years and although we’re P+ we are so done with their shenanigans and unappreciated loyalty to the point that I have decided never to cruise with them again.  I really don’t want to find out after final payment that there has been an itinerary change or shortened cruise because of their lack of proper maintenance. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, david_sobe said:

Note the "T" shirt he is wearing - the Crown and Anchor trademark of the RCCL Royal Caribbean Cruise Line !

Not exactly an overly enthusiastic fan of NCL and then not a neutral reporting either !

Yes the STAR has its problems - - -

And Yes NCL has its problems with the STAR - - -

And further note that NCL could do a great more in customer advisory relations in doing this recent not so musical

ship shuffling substitution ? The ole 'You can't please all the people all the time' is recognized but here we have

two ships of folks with this not so pleasing itinerary adjustment abiding time to get the STAR into dry-dock and a fix.

For sure the STAR is not dead in the water like the Australian screw up and repairs are near at hand for any breakdown

but no one should want to go thru that potential fiasco.

5 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Note the "T" shirt he is wearing - the Crown and Anchor trademark of the RCCL Royal Caribbean Cruise Line !

Not exactly an overly enthusiastic fan of NCL and then not a neutral reporting either !

Yes the STAR has its problems - - -

And Yes NCL has its problems with the STAR - - -

And further note that NCL could do a great more in customer advisory relations in doing this recent not so musical

ship shuffling substitution ? The ole 'You can't please all the people all the time' is recognized but here we have

two ships of folks with this not so pleasing itinerary adjustment abiding time to get the STAR into dry-dock and a fix.

For sure the STAR is not dead in the water like the Australian screw up and repairs are near at hand for any breakdown

but no one should want to go thru that potential fiasco.

Oh Please. Don't take things so personal because a NCL ship is having problems.  Don is equal with all cruise lines.  If you dare watch the video, you would see how Don raves about the great deals being offered on the Star.  But of course you did not watch it because if you did you would have known the video states exactly what you just stated:  The Star has problems.  He did nothing that you allege in somehow being biased.  Its a sad day even for the NCL board when you cant discuss mechanical issues with one of NCL's ships without cheerleaders getting bent out of shape. 🙄

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, david_sobe said:

Oh Please. Don't take things so personal because a NCL ship is having problems.  Don is equal with all cruise lines.  If you dare watch the video, you would see how Don raves about the great deals being offered on the Star.  But of course you did not watch it because if you did you would have known the video states exactly what you just stated:  The Star has problems.  He did nothing that you allege in somehow being biased.  Its a sad day even for the NCL board when you cant discuss mechanical issues with one of NCL's ships without cheerleaders getting bent out of shape. 🙄

I am not taking this personal although my reply to your post is of a sort of personal nature.

I am not familiar with Don - maybe he does cruise industry critic from down in your Miami area.

I did watch the video in spite of your claim I did not and the bargains are not out of the ordinary for a ship with limited

speed and distance between ports of call. Good - no terrific that she made the TA without issue no bad PR here.

As for Don being biased I only commented on his "T" shirt as being odd commenting on a NCL ship while wearing

a competing cruise line logo shirt - this sort of strikes me as not being fair or neutral in reporting.

And it is not a sad day for commenting about the mechanical issues of the STAR which I have a keen interest in

since I cruised the Panama Canal on her before the Portland OR dry-dock late 2014 - following all of her electrical

issues with azipods and the Australian problem and the continued missed port calls and the now the current issues

with ship swapping. I have watched videos of engine repairs on other ships and it is going to be interesting what

and how the fix is done at Freeport - presuming it will be done in the Bahamas.

I have posted pictures of the STARs azipods for CC members to get a grasp of what the heck are azipods.

Cheerleaders getting bent out of shape - NOT hardly - more likely raving for the quick fix and the return of the STAR

so that NCL has a full boat of options cruising sailing.

My autumn cruise plans are tentative for Canada-New England - this on either the GEM or the DAWN - if the STAR

does not have a timely fix who knows what kind of mechanical wrench is going to be thrown into the mix.

Already the DAWN is in the present ship shuffle.  

47 minutes ago, don't-use-real-name said:

the bargains are not out of the ordinary for a ship with limited

speed and distance between ports of call. Good - no terrific that she made the TA without issue no bad PR here.

Insides start at $499 pp for a 3/14/20 Chile to Canaveral 15 day cruise through the Panama Canal.  I would jump at that if it were a Jewel class ship.  Interesting to see what the price will be in February.  If she is not 100% after the TA then the European prices will start falling.  Hopefully it will be fixed in April.

6 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

I am not taking this personal although my reply to your post is of a sort of personal nature.

I am not familiar with Don - maybe he does cruise industry critic from down in your Miami area.

I did watch the video in spite of your claim I did not and the bargains are not out of the ordinary for a ship with limited

As for Don being biased I only commented on his "T" shirt as being odd commenting on a NCL ship while wearing

a competing cruise line logo shirt - this sort of strikes me as not being fair or neutral in reporting.

And it is not a sad day for commenting about the mechanical issues of the STAR which I have a keen interest in

since I cruised the Panama Canal on her before the Portland OR dry-dock late 2014 - following all of her electrical

issues with azipods and the Australian problem and the continued missed port calls and the now the current issues

with ship swapping. I have watched videos of engine repairs on other ships and it is going to be interesting what

and how the fix is done at Freeport - presuming it will be done in the Bahamas.

I have posted pictures of the STARs azipods for CC members to get a grasp of what the heck are azipods.

Cheerleaders getting bent out of shape - NOT hardly - more likely raving for the quick fix and the return of the STAR

so that NCL has a full boat of options cruising sailing.

My autumn cruise plans are tentative for Canada-New England - this on either the GEM or the DAWN - if the STAR

does not have a timely fix who knows what kind of mechanical wrench is going to be thrown into the mix.

Already the DAWN is in the present ship shuffle.  

Just want to chime in with the view that Don is not biased for or against any cruise line.   He does stories and videos (and sails) on all of them (he's a travel agent) and is very fair and measured.  Despite the RCCL t-shirt he is very fair and neutral.  As a fellow Canadian I'm going to go a bit tongue-in-cheek and joke that his Canadian-ish can go a little too far towards fair and neutral when perhaps it doesn't actually deserve it.  He can be a bit long-winded sometimes, though.  LOL!

Dons a TA from Canada, who seems to be at sea half the year! He’s on the Encore now and I saw his review of his balcony cabin, but I haven’t checked out his tour of the ship.   He’s not the biggest fan of NCL, but he reports stories as they happen.  

Just to muddy the waters, the Apr 19 TA is suspect at this time.  More info expected 12/26.  But cruise currently shows as sold out and air info, excursions, dining reservations are all over the place for people on that cruise.  I don't have full access to my reservation at this time because I'm traveling, but I suddenly have an extra excursion credit - which is a perk they were offering in lieu of air just before they canceled the air promo.