Bridge/Engine Room tours

noblepa

I know that, after 9/11, many cruise lines placed a moratorium on tours of the bridge or engine room.

Has HAL reinstated such tours? I don't see anything listed on the website, but I seem to remember on our last cruise, that they had limited tours available.

We did the Behind the Scenes Tour on the Nieuw Statendam in October while on a Med cruise.  Go to Guest Services on Day 1 and sign up.  Cost is $150pp.  We did the tour on a sea day and had a great time.  Took lots of pictures of the Bridge, Engine Control Room, Laundry, Tailor shop and more.  Not able to go to see the actual engines although some have posted that was possible on their tour.

Here's some info from an older post:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2704761-behind-the-scenes-tour/

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2661139-hal-behind-the-scene-tour/

Edited by I like vacation
add info

2 hours ago, kwb101 said:

Do you know if it's offered on all ships? Thanks. 

Maybe.  Sometimes the tour is announced in the When and Where and other times it appears to be Top Secret.  Go to Guest Services on Day 1 and sign up.  Keep checking to see if they have the minimum amount of passengers to run the tour and what day it may happen.

14 minutes ago, Crew News said:

Current price of the Behind the Scenes Tour is $99 on the Nieuw Statendam and you no longer get a free cookbook.  The new price makes the tour very attractive but you need to sign up at the Front Desk as soon as you board.

We paid $150 pp on the Nieuw Statendam in October and did not get a cookbook.  ☹️   I will have to see if it is offered on the Veendam in 3 weeks and check the price.

It was $150 on Zuiderdam in November.  I thought it was well worth it.  Lasted 3 1/2 hours.  I asked about it and signed up on embarkation day but I did see a small note about it in the "when and where" several days into the cruise.

On 12/20/2019 at 9:57 AM, I like vacation said:

I will have to see if it is offered on the Veendam in 3 weeks and check the price.

No, it will not be offered on Veendam.  To my knowledge it is not done on any of the S-class or R-class ships.  Copper 10-8 may correct me if I am wrong on this.