Grease On Harmony?

1 hour ago, Califonria cruiser said:

My parents want to watch Grease the show on Harmony and some reviews claim it is for mature audiences. Can anyone elaborate so we can decide what age/kid it is appropriate for? Is it sexual overtones, bad language, etc?

Jenn

We took our grandchildren aged five and three with no problems whatsoever.

There is the odd sexual overtone and very occasional bad language but nothing we would worry about.

1 hour ago, Norwich Cruiser said:

We took our grandchildren aged five and three with no problems whatsoever.

There is the odd sexual overtone and very occasional bad language but nothing we would worry about.

This is interesting because I have also read lots of comments about the show not being appropriate for kids.  Some in my family don't appreciate vulgarity so I'm also wondering exactly what's causing the mixed reaction.

Edited by Ren1216

To each their own. I've seen people complain about Grease, but at the same time slow their kids to watch extremely violent movies that in my opinion are far worse for kids than a subjective hint about sex. Hippocratic behavior.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RCCLNYMETS41 said:

The song Grease Lightening is the unedited version so there are sexual references including a couple of words that are repeated a few times that can be considered inappropriate for impressionable kids. The show is fantastic!

Vey Few things funnier than a 4 year old saying PussyWagon🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Meltdown said:

To each their own. I've seen people complain about Grease, but at the same time slow their kids to watch extremely violent movies that in my opinion are far worse for kids than a subjective hint about sex. Hippocratic behavior.

My experience having raised two sons and having tons of family and friends with kids, those that make the decision their kids won't see adult/mature themes apply that across the board.  Whether it's violence or sex.  But, the sex themes carry more weight with people because it's a moral lesson they're trying to teach that can apply to their real lives.  I don't know anyone who let their young child seen extremely violent movies who then turned around and said you can't see x because it has sexual overtones because those parents are those that see nothing wrong with letting a 5 year old see a R rated movie.   Our boys didn't see an R rated movie until they were over 12 and when they did it was Air Force 1, not some random violence filled movie.  Grease has always had some  adult content, even in the movie, where they did change a few words, but the innuendo is still there which mostly goes over kids heads since it's more about theme than in your face.  The Broadway production has some things most people wouldn't want their kids to repeat at age 4, as John said above.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, BND said:

My experience having raised two sons and having tons of family and friends with kids, those that make the decision their kids won't see adult/mature themes apply that across the board.  Whether it's violence or sex.  But, the sex themes carry more weight with people because it's a moral lesson they're trying to teach that can apply to their real lives.  I don't know anyone who let their young child seen extremely violent movies who then turned around and said you can't see x because it has sexual overtones because those parents are those that see nothing wrong with letting a 5 year old see a R rated movie.   Our boys didn't see an R rated movie until they were over 12 and when they did it was Air Force 1, not some random violence filled movie.  Grease has always had some  adult content, even in the movie, where they did change a few words, but the innuendo is still there which mostly goes over kids heads since it's more about theme than in your face.  The Broadway production has some things most people wouldn't want their kids to repeat at age 4, as John said above.  

FWIW, that lyric is in the John Travolta movie, you just don't realize it. First time I realized it was on Freedom. They used to play it at the pool in the morning as a sing along version with the lyrics like karaoke. 🤣

1 minute ago, John&LaLa said:

FWIW, that lyric is in the John Travolta movie, you just don't realize it. First time I realized it was on Freedom. They used to play it at the pool in the morning as a sing along version with the lyrics like karaoke. 🤣

I remember hearing it in the movie, but most people can't tell you the lyrics to most songs unless they hear it over and over again.  It is the kind of thing a 4 year old would pick up on though.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

If you wouldn't let them watch the movie don't let them watch the show.   If you are fine with the movie then you are fine the show. Most things that will cause you concern go over the heads of the kids. I took mine on an NCL cruise and took them to Footloose. Anything that bothered me, I quickly explained or deferred.

Edited by bearette

We took our then 9 year old to Grease on Harmony in 2018 and she loved the show. Went again in November and she walked out at age 10 commenting "that was really inappropriate" because she understood a few more of the jokes. 😂  She still enjoyed the show and would probably keep watching it. There are definitely some crass parts but they aren't any worse than in the Travolta/Newton-John movie version so you can always give it a re-watch and judge. 

• Like 1

Would you watch the movie with your kids or be comfortable with your kids watching the movie?  I think that is your answer.  The movie, Grease, is certainly not High School Musical.  The movie Grease is PG-13.   High School Musical 3 by contrast, the only one that started in theatres is rated G and is more my style lol. 

Edited by kathy884

On 12/24/2019 at 2:33 AM, Ren1216 said:

This is interesting because I have also read lots of comments about the show not being appropriate for kids.  Some in my family don't appreciate vulgarity so I'm also wondering exactly what's causing the mixed reaction.

Just remember what GREASE is about.. Then make your decision.. 

I thought it had many more inappropriate  hand gestures than the movie.  I agree the cast was talented, but the Harmony show would have been much better if the extra gestures which were not needed were left out.  I don't feel the movie version was quite as suggestive.