fort lauderdale or olando pre cruise stay

savannahcat

Hi, we have booked a cruise from Fort Lauderdale departing November 2020, we are a little concerned that we will not be able to enjoy a pre cruise stay in Fort Lauderdale due to the cost of things and are thinking of staying in Orlando instead and then driving up on the day of the cruise, we are thinking of 4 or five nights pre cruise stay prior to the cruise, so my question is, is Fort Lauderdale much more expensive than Orlando we like to go to restaurants and have plenty of drinks, shopping in the malls some day trips out.

Thanks.

No idea what kind of lodging your looking for.  If something mid-range like Hampton/Holiday Inn express you might save a few dollars in Orlando.  Or maybe not.  You need to decide what you're looking at and do the research yourself (what "day trips" etc you might want to do in each city).  The question as posed is just too vague to get much advice here.  "Plenty of drinks" is likely to cost the same in either place.  Same for dining out.  If you're flying, of course you'll have to factor in air fare to each, and car rental/transportation from Orlando to FLL.

FYI if you go from Orlando it's "Down" to FLL, not up......:classic_tongue:

In addition to bouhunters excellent comments I want to add that 'November' is very vague.  Fort Lauderdale has two busy weeks (which correspond to higher hotel prices) in November:  the first weekend is the Fort Lauderdale International Boat Show (hotel prices are very expensive and hotels sell out) and then Thanksgiving week.  I expect that Thanksgiving week would also be more expensive than other weeks in November in Orlando.

As to what to do in Fort Lauderdale, take a look at the official website: www.sunny.org.  It also contains hotel information.

I'd also consider what "day trips" you're considering. To Cape Canaveral? To the Everglades? To West Palm Beach? You should base yourself closer to where you want to go, and you can budget from there.

Me, I'd rather have experiences than drinks, but if you want the latter, the costs will be about the same.

You also need to consider that it's over a 3 hour drive between Ft Lauderdale and Orlando (about 213 miles).  Personally, I think there is a whole lot more to do and see in the Ft Lauderdale area.  Since Miami/Ft Lauderdale/Palm Beaches are basically one long coastal city, there are many more options of places to stay and sights to see.  You don't have to stay right in Ft Lauderdale, there are plenty of great hotels along the I 95 corridor.

Unless you are planning on the amusement parks, there is more to see and do in the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area. You don't need to limit your search to Ft. Lauderdale look and see what hotels are in the Hollywood area, Sunny Isles, Miami Beach, Miami, etc.. 

As for what is better. I don't know you gave some very vague ideas of what you want to do. Are you flying or driving down?