Missing from suitcase

fizzy1

Has anyone had anything missing from suitcase after leaving the ship? Please, no nasty comments as i am not accusing anyone but i know i put my hubbys aftershave in the bathroom bag , then into his suitcase, i do all packing and unpacking, from our TA from NY to Southampton in Aug . Collected case dockside , unpacked at home . It was a couple of days  before we realised his aftershave was not there!!! Its been bugging me ever since so just thought i would ask if anyone has had anything go missing after leaving cases in hall to opening them up at home. Just can't see what else to think. 

Edited by fizzy1
Spelling

Its crazy i know but cant seem to think what else could have happened apart from suitcase  been looked through. No i didn't lock it  but that’s not the point. Always lock them when flying  just never when cruising 

I have never had any missing items in 18 cruises or crossings on Cunard. I had one bag dropped off at the QV when the Heathrow Bus was dropping passengers at QV, then QM2 which I was travelling on, but I got it back later with everything inside. 

This isn't meant to sound dismissive, because the idea of your luggage being tampered with is horrid, but, if I were going to steal from your luggage, I might perhaps pick expensive shoes, or an elegant dress, or jewellery if I could find it - something of quite high value. Why take aftershave? It does seem weird.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

This isn't meant to sound dismissive, because the idea of your luggage being tampered with is horrid, but, if I were going to steal from your luggage, I might perhaps pick expensive shoes, or an elegant dress, or jewellery if I could find it - something of quite high value. Why take aftershave? It does seem weird.

Actually, i didn't mention it as hubby has let it go but he hasn't  been able to find his  black dress shoes Since we came back either . I am sure the last time he wore them was on the QM2.  The aftershave was expensive and hardly used  100ml . My jewellery i carry in my hand luggage. Its all very strange.  

Edited by fizzy1

We did not have items missing from our suitcase, but we did have a missing suitcase. We returned to Brooklyn on the QM2 in August, and, as Diamond, had early departure tags on our luggage. Someone took our tag and replaced it with another color on one of the bags, so that we had to search the entire luggage area and hundreds of bags, looking for our missing bag. Fortunately, we didn’t have a plane to catch.  It made me seriously consider buying luggage that isn’t black or grey!

Ricki

2 hours ago, ricki said:

. Fortunately, we didn’t have a plane to catch.  It made me seriously consider buying luggage that isn’t black or grey!

Ricki

I always put a several strips of random fabric or ties onto handles of generic looking luggage - so much easier than trying to read a label 

• Like 4

We have never lost a piece of luggage in all the years and journeys on a Cunard or HAL ships and embarking and disembarking from the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal (with Cunard).

We always go by the required identification (id tags and Ships Luggage Tags) to be placed on the bags. Additionally we do add an easy ID colored tape on the bags to easily ID them among the others in the Luggage Pickup Terminal Area. To add additional security, we use the TSA approved locks.

Also, we have never experienced any personal items removed or missing from our luggage either while unpacking in the cabin or unpacking at home.

Hope you won't have to experience this incident again on future sailings....

Edited by BklynBoy8

Never had anything go missing.  When our bags are not in our possession, we lock them with TSA locks AND put a zip tie through there as well.  A missing zip tie indicates that someone has tampered with the lock and warrants an immediate inspection before we leave the baggage claim area.  Only happened one time and when I opened the bag, there was a TSA notice inside that the bag had been opened and inspected by TSA.

18 hours ago, ricki said:

We did not have items missing from our suitcase, but we did have a missing suitcase. We returned to Brooklyn on the QM2 in August, and, as Diamond, had early departure tags on our luggage. Someone took our tag and replaced it with another color on one of the bags, so that we had to search the entire luggage area and hundreds of bags, looking for our missing bag. Fortunately, we didn’t have a plane to catch.  It made me seriously consider buying luggage that isn’t black or grey!

Ricki

Someone took my garment bag by mistake arriving in Brooklyn last year. I looked all over the terminal and the staff tried to help, pointing out any black garment bag as a possibility. After the search, we saw that there was just one bag at "my" color/number station. The wonderfully helpful supervisor said, "Yes, I know it isn't yours, but isn't it odd that that it's all alone where yours should be?" 

So we looked at it and the tag was not filled out completely--no phone number. But, destination was a ship sailing that day out of Bayonne. She called to see if he had checked in. He hadn't, so she had some kind of stop put on his account. When he arrived to check in, the message came up to ask if he had all of his luggage. He said yes. Well, he THOUGHT he did, but since I was standing there in Brooklyn looking at his bag, it was likely that he had the correct number of pieces, but not the correct items. His bag was smaller than mine and there was a bright luggage strap around the garment bag so he should have seen the difference. 

The supervisor was certain he had checked my bag onto the ship, but all she could do was have me fill out the paperwork. The ship (Something of the Seas) found my bag after they sailed, and it did get back to me after the ship returned to Bayonne. But here's the thing. When the supervisor called to tell me that the bag was located, she said that she delivered the man's bag in person. She asked him about my bag and he swore he hadn't taken it. If he had been honest with her, I'd have had the bag the next day, not 2 weeks later. At least the bag hadn't been opened. Nothing was disturbed or missing. 

So, PLEASE, if you take someone else's bag by mistake, be honest and 'fess up. Yes, it's a little embarrassing. But at least you'd be helping to correct your error. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Never had anything go missing.  When our bags are not in our possession, we lock them with TSA locks AND put a zip tie through there as well.  A missing zip tie indicates that someone has tampered with the lock and warrants an immediate inspection before we leave the baggage claim area.  Only happened one time and when I opened the bag, there was a TSA notice inside that the bag had been opened and inspected by TSA.

I've had a bag opened by an airline only once that I know of--I know because they left the TSA note. I pack almost everything into 2-gallon ziplock bags, so if my case is opened it's unlikely that small items will fall out.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

No never with Cunard

loads of times when flying everything Rummaged through by TSA and shoved back in any old into

have left in my lifetime loads of things behind in hotel rooms/hire cars so maybe you didn't pack it - its easily done

call them up and tell them 

23 hours ago, exlondoner said:

That is interesting. Perhaps the aftershave was an afterthought. But who would know the dress shoes were the right size?

Never had anything stolen from a bag to date.  Thankfully. 

Had the TSA on flights open bags, I think this is due to number of cables for charging - phone, shaver, toothbrush, photographic flash cabling etc, just a shame could not have one charging cord for everything.  They placed a notice in the bag re the search. 

From what Ricki has stated re suitcases - many years ago on a flight from UK to Central Asia my grey Samsonite suitcase pre TSA locks and 9/11, the bag disappeared from the airport carousel with another grey Samsonite case remaining on the carousel but not mine. Guessing that a case of mistaken suitcase took the remaining case and walked through the airport looking for a similar case. Saw someone outside the airport with another grey Samsonite case and noticed it was mine and we exchanged cases. My case had a small luggage label they had not noticed. 

Now our suitcases have multiple stickers on both sides,  garish but hopefully no one will mistake our cases. 

Derek. 

• Like 1

Not from a case, and not on a Cunard ship either, but I had diamond earrings missing from the in cabin safe! It was only on the last morning, I noticed. I was accused of being mistaken - I wasn’t. Fortunately, they weren’t outrageously expensive so my husband replaced them.

• Like 1

I never bother with TSA locks anymore, I just use a plastic zip/cable tie.  My bags always seem to be pulled for inspection, and so using a zip tie will hopefully discourage someone from opening the bag. 

Also I have started using these suitcase covers.  They are a stretchy fabric and will only last a few runs down the baggage carosel but, they are cheap enough from a well know Chinese website that I don't care.  I really helps finding one's bag and rather unlikely that someone will grab the wrong bag. He9a13a0fc23149eb9e61c43a86958abfT.jpg

• Like 2

After several misadventures with luggage, I got the ugliest possible stretchy cover for my bag from the big US online site.  We’ve never had anything missing from a bag, but a clueless lady once took mine by mistake. It was found in the luggage compartment of a bus headed for the airport. No one could possibly want or mistake my bag with that wild ugly cover!  Plus it’s amazing how dirty that cover gets. Luggage gets lots of abuse 

• Like 1

We also some fluorescent orange luggage handle wraps on our bags.  They make our bags easy to spot coming down the chute to the carousel and they are a visual and tactile clue for the clueless that they are trying to pick up the wrong bag.  I have also seen the customized luggage strap that fits around the entire bag with the custom lettering that said "NOT YOUR BAG".  Now that's a real clue for the clueless.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/29/2019 at 11:24 AM, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I've had a bag opened by an airline only once that I know of--I know because they left the TSA note. I pack almost everything into 2-gallon ziplock bags, so if my case is opened it's unlikely that small items will fall out.

Your bag wasn't opened "by an airline" ... it was opened by the TSA.