Sailing During Winter/Spring Months.

tap_out

So my wife is a teacher, so just about all of our 10+ cruises have been in the summer. We had an awesome time on our last Horizon cruise. This was mostly due to us being in the Havana area. Honestly the rest of the ship was a bit of a zoo. Pools decks during the day were insane. Dining was fine but getting decent seats to shows were tricky. We are thinking of going on Horizon again but we will have our 4 year old son with us so the Havana is not an option. Also throwing around the idea of maybe the Breeze because the last time we cruised her it rained all day everyday for 7 days, so we want to give it another chance. Can I expect a different crowd during the months of Feb-April since school will be in? Will the ships be less crowded? 

It will definitely be less crowded to go during that time. There will be less other kids, so if your kid is very social that could impact things. If you kid is ok playing without other kids, its the best time to go. February more than March/April because you then get into school breaks.

23 minutes ago, tap_out said:

Yeah that reminds me of something else. When are the spring break cruises? Want to make sure we avoid those. 

My wife is a teacher as well so we have no choice but to cruise during breaks.  She has a week off for February break which is presidents week every year and April break which is the first full week in April.

We normally cruise once over the winter/spring and once in the summer.  Our April break cruise this year is on Holland and out Summer is a 9 Night Journeys on the Sunrise out of NYC in August. We are hoping Holland and the longer Carnival Cruise will have less families than normal.  If we really need to get away from the kids we book an adults only All-inclusive resort for a week. 

1 hour ago, tap_out said:

So my wife is a teacher, so just about all of our 10+ cruises have been in the summer. We had an awesome time on our last Horizon cruise. This was mostly due to us being in the Havana area. Honestly the rest of the ship was a bit of a zoo. Pools decks during the day were insane. Dining was fine but getting decent seats to shows were tricky. We are thinking of going on Horizon again but we will have our 4 year old son with us so the Havana is not an option. Also throwing around the idea of maybe the Breeze because the last time we cruised her it rained all day everyday for 7 days, so we want to give it another chance. Can I expect a different crowd during the months of Feb-April since school will be in? Will the ships be less crowded? 

February - yes, it should be different, but as soon as you get into march, there are tons of kids every week, as spring break is happening.  We are going the 2nd week of March again this year, since that is our kids spring break (along with most of the state of Iowa).

I've cruised in each season over the years.  Definitely more children during school breaks, but that doesn't mean those winter/spring cruises are necessarily less crowded.  CCL pretty much sells out each cruise - but there aren't as many 4 person cabins.  Probably as many (or a few more) adults, but less teenagers/children means a much more relaxed cruise.

I love cruising in November - great weather, not so hot & very few children - with the exception of Thanksgiving week.   

9 hours ago, ozzie0075 said:

My wife is a teacher as well so we have no choice but to cruise during breaks.  She has a week off for February break which is presidents week every year and April break which is the first full week in April.

We normally cruise once over the winter/spring and once in the summer.  Our April break cruise this year is on Holland and out Summer is a 9 Night Journeys on the Sunrise out of NYC in August. We are hoping Holland and the longer Carnival Cruise will have less families than normal.  If we really need to get away from the kids we book an adults only All-inclusive resort for a week. 

Your wife must workfor a private school? My wife has a day for presidents day and 1 day in April. She gets 4 personal days so just enough for a 7 day cruise. 

She also is the site director of a summer program, so normally a literally have 2 weeks in August we can cruise. 

1 minute ago, tap_out said:

Your wife must workfor a private school? My wife has a day for presidents day and 1 day in April. She gets 4 personal days so just enough for a 7 day cruise. 

She also is the site director of a summer program, so normally a literally have 2 weeks in August we can cruise. 

No she is a public school teacher. Where we are in New York all the schools do a week long break in February and I week in April.  Our schools are in session until the end of June. 

• Like 1

Just now, ozzie0075 said:

No she is a public school teacher. Where we are in New York all the schools do a week long break in February and I week in April.  Our schools are in session until the end of June. 

Not a bad deal. We are in Maryland and she gets out around the 20th of June depending on snow days and goes back after labor day. 

1 hour ago, ozzie0075 said:

wouldn't the week in April be classed as Spring break?

23 hours ago, Joebucks said:

I absolutely refuse to cruise in the summer. More kids, hotter weather, higher prices. Feb-April is a fantastic time to go.

Bad idea- Presidents’ Week in February and Spring Break - any time from mid-March through mid-April - is like feeding time at the zoo on most bargain lines.  January and May are likely to give good weather and less of a mob scene.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Bad idea- Presidents’ Week in February and Spring Break - any time from mid-March through mid-April - is like feeding time at the zoo on most bargain lines.  January and May are likely to give good weather and less of a mob scene.

So I have to seriously worry about Presidents Day too?  That was what we were leaning towards. I guess in the end none of it will be worse then Summer.

3 hours ago, Laurab23 said:

Yes,President's week will have a lot of kids. My daughter is a teacher and I go with her and her 2 kids on a cruise President's week and it is crowded.

Laura

Geez I guess Maryland is the only state that actually just gives presidents day off. 

• Like 1