LMM's Harmony of the Seas Christmas Cruise - PHOTO Review!!

11 minutes ago, red-dragon said:

Thank you for a fantastic review!

Oh no, the desserts really "looked" good.  We were thinking of going to Jamie's vs. Chops for our one night specialty dining. What was wrong with the desserts?

I have a Nikon camera too, but looking for a superior lens rather than the standard one that came in the box.  Can you tell me if you used the Tamron 17-50 mm for most of your pictures?  Budget wise, I only want to purchase one, with a zoom lens for our ports of call.

Thanks!

I guess I didn't really touch on why I didn't like the desserts at Jamie's. It may have been a matter of preference. I found them too sweet or not a good texture. I'm not a big fan of the artificial fruit taste in the cream. Also, on all cruise lines I find the desserts to be super rich and decadent and just not something that I would eat a lot of personally.

I used the Tamron 17-50 mm lens for almost every shot you see here (exceptions are the super wide photos taken from my balcony in Costa Maya - I pulled out the Tokina 11-16mm for those). If you're curious about what equipment was used for each photo, you can click the link to my Flickr, and it actually shows what camera body, lenses, and whether or not I used an external flash. I love the Tamron lens. It is my go-to. It has a fixed f/2.8 aperture, so you can open the aperture really wide, even when it's at 50 mm. It also comes at a very affordable price point. I've had the lens since 2013 - it's been through a lot, and it's still going strong!

That’s interesting that Sabor wouldn’t let you use the dining package on a port day. While I know it does state it can only be used for lunch on sea days, others have reported having no problems using it on port days if a restaurant was open for lunch. I guess it just depends on what ship your on. It would be nice if they could all be consistent across the board.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yorkiegirl3 said:

That’s interesting that Sabor wouldn’t let you use the dining package on a port day. While I know it does state it can only be used for lunch on sea days, others have reported having no problems using it on port days if a restaurant was open for lunch. I guess it just depends on what ship your on. It would be nice if they could all be consistent across the board.

We found on the Allure that you couldn't use it either. When we boarded the first day we were told we could use it at Sabor (By those making the specialty dining reservations) that day for lunch, and then when we went to Sabor they told us no.   Our upcoming Harmony cruise only has 2 Sea days, so figuring we really won't get any use out of the lunches.  

Is interesting to read about Jaime's.  They are one I am not overly certain that I want to go there out of all the dining options.  I wasn't a fan of Giovanni's however either out of what we dined in on the Allure.  I might consider just multiples at Chops and 150CP.  

2 hours ago, LittleMissMagic said:

I love the Tamron lens. It is my go-to. It has a fixed f/2.8 aperture, so you can open the aperture really wide, even when it's at 50 mm.

You do a nice job with your shallow depth of field shots.  Definitely looks good wide open (assuming your dessert shots were at 2.8...I was too lazy to check Flickr).

46 minutes ago, mom2tcdx2 said:

We found on the Allure that you couldn't use it either. When we boarded the first day we were told we could use it at Sabor (By those making the specialty dining reservations) that day for lunch, and then when we went to Sabor they told us no.   Our upcoming Harmony cruise only has 2 Sea days, so figuring we really won't get any use out of the lunches.  

Is interesting to read about Jaime's.  They are one I am not overly certain that I want to go there out of all the dining options.  I wasn't a fan of Giovanni's however either out of what we dined in on the Allure.  I might consider just multiples at Chops and 150CP.  

Hmmmm, maybe it’s a Sabor thing, lol. No Sabor on Symphony, so I guess we’ll see what happens at JR and Playmakers. I’ve been told those are the only two open early enough for lunch on port days. Well as they say the only thing consistent about RC is their inconsistency. 😂

16 hours ago, LittleMissMagic said:

I guess I didn't really touch on why I didn't like the desserts at Jamie's. It may have been a matter of preference. I found them too sweet or not a good texture. I'm not a big fan of the artificial fruit taste in the cream. Also, on all cruise lines I find the desserts to be super rich and decadent and just not something that I would eat a lot of personally.

I used the Tamron 17-50 mm lens for almost every shot you see here (exceptions are the super wide photos taken from my balcony in Costa Maya - I pulled out the Tokina 11-16mm for those). If you're curious about what equipment was used for each photo, you can click the link to my Flickr, and it actually shows what camera body, lenses, and whether or not I used an external flash. I love the Tamron lens. It is my go-to. It has a fixed f/2.8 aperture, so you can open the aperture really wide, even when it's at 50 mm. It also comes at a very affordable price point. I've had the lens since 2013 - it's been through a lot, and it's still going strong!

Thank you so much for the detailed response!

I"m going to check out that lens!  Much appreciated!

Thanks for writing this ongoing review. I’m a huge fan of your reviews and writing style and have probably read all of your reviews on CC and your blog, way back from the Bahamas cruise after your sister graduated up to your most recent Disney Cruise. Keep up the great writing and travel blogging! 

On 1/22/2020 at 3:55 PM, LittleMissMagic said:

Hi again, I finally found time to check out the lens.  It sounds like it's the right lens for me, however, the sales agent said there is a used lens he could sell me for $300.  I'm hoping it will come in before we sail, but it would be good to look at the condition and save some $$$.  I'll let you know how it works out.  Thanks again for the recommendation!

BTW, I couldn't find the link to your Flickr (I went on your website)

Edited by red-dragon

On 2/3/2020 at 3:19 PM, red-dragon said:

Hi again, I finally found time to check out the lens.  It sounds like it's the right lens for me, however, the sales agent said there is a used lens he could sell me for $300.  I'm hoping it will come in before we sail, but it would be good to look at the condition and save some $$$.  I'll let you know how it works out.  Thanks again for the recommendation!

BTW, I couldn't find the link to your Flickr (I went on your website)

Awesome!! Let me know how you like the lens!

My Flickr is https://www.flickr.com/gp/vshingleton/L5V325

You can just click on any of the photos in this thread, and there should be active links that take you straight to that photo on Flickr with the image stats.

But I should add the link to my Flickr on my website - it's in need of some love!

While Mom and Dad enjoyed the Diamond Lounge, Rachel and I went to Schooner Bar. It's located on Deck 6 Aft above the Promenade, near Rising Tides. Schooner Bar is a Royal Caribbean classic. It's on all of their cruise ships and is nautically themed, as one would guess from the name.

We were welcomed... kind of, not really... by a bartender holding a drink tray, positioned out in the lounge area to take orders. Rachel and I found a table overlooking the Promenade and looked through the drink menu. Then we waited... and waited... the bartender was just standing there. Never came to take our orders. So Rachel got up to order for us from the bar.

49320514141_d075caafae_b.jpgSchooner Bar by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

49320017358_000ec98567_b.jpgSchooner Bar by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

The good thing about Schooner Bar is the Lavendar Martini. I'm not sure where else you can get one on the ship.

49320725562_6c6cb7ec2a_b.jpgSchooner Bar by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

Schooner Bar: Good martinis, mediocre atmosphere, lousy service (we visited again and experienced the same thing).

49320725392_088ab8a223_b.jpgSchooner Bar by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

Here's Rising Tides in action.

49320017048_87ae0fca38_b.jpgRising Tide by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

49320725122_43f09a3df4_b.jpgRising Tide by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

Okay, so the dinner plan for tonight was a little crazy. Judy just could not get out of her mind the cheese platter that she enjoyed ordering in the main dining room on Navigator of the Seas last year. It was the one thing she missed about the main dining room. So Rachel suggested that one night, we go to the main dining room first so Judy could get her cheese platter.

Our dinner reservation for tonight was for Wonderland, which is for "curious appetites." Rachel warned the Shinglebells that the menu was going to be interesting. Stove was apprehensive. And he kept hinting, "The menu in the main dining room looks really good tonight." Uhhh… did it? I did not agree, but Stove was clearly nervous about Wonderland, and Judy wanted a cheese platter. Rachel made a reservation for the main dining room, since it was Day 4 and we hadn't eaten there yet. The head waiter even called my parents stateroom to make sure that we were coming.

And we showed up. Because we hadn't dined in the main dining room before, we had to be shown to our table. And it turns out that no one knew where it was. They led us back to a corner, then realized it wasn't there, so we backtracked and finally made it to our table. It was located on the fifth floor, which is the top (third) floor of the main dining room. Personally, I prefer to sit on the lowest main dining room floor... on the third floor it feels like you're tucked away in the balcony.

We met our waiter, and I'll just say, she was not our biggest fan. "Where have you guys been all week?" We told her that we had specialty dining, and we felt her judgement. She was very respectful in asking if we had other reservations that we were in a hurry to get to, so Rachel told her about our 9PM reservation (to Wonderland!!), and she told us that she would get us out in time to make it.

Stove is smiling in this photo, but the reason I took it is because he was complaining about the butter. "What happened to the real butter?" I think he may have been remembering Princess Cruise Lines, or one of the cruise lines that serves fresh butter in a cold dish. Or maybe we're just specialty dining snobs now.

49320513426_6c7b311fb2_b.jpgMain Dining Room by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

I ordered the Caesar Salad. It's a safe bet for Royal Caribbean. Then again, does this lettuce look wilted???

49320721692_2c77037a28_b.jpgMain Dining Room by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

Ladies and gentlemen, here it is - THE LEGENDARY CHEESE PLATTER!

Ha! This was not what Judy remembered. There were no crackers. And what is that... a block of Kraft cheese?? Judy then recalled that last year, as the cruise progressed, they ran out of items for the cheese platter like crackers. So if you want this very memorable cheese platter (which is actually listed on the dessert menu), be sure to order it early in the cruise.

49320513341_679b61e170_b.jpgMain Dining Room by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

Stove and Rachel ordered the escargot and commented that it was overdone.

49320724807_26b324663e_b.jpgMain Dining Room by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

I decided to compare the main dining rib short rib to the short rib at Jamie's. It's just another bad short rib. This time I don't blame the sauce, but think it was overcooked.

49320513176_d3418dd783_b.jpgMain Dining Room by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

Stove and Rachel got the tilapia, which was the fish of the day not listed on the menu. Our waiter didn't mention that it was fried, and they weren't expecting that. Tilapia is probably the last fish that I would assume would be fried.

49320724652_6408bf3bcc_b.jpgMain Dining Room by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

Judy ordered the lasagna and said that it was as good as the pasta at Jamie's. Simultaneously a compliment to the main dining room and an insult to Jamie's Italian.

49320513011_eeb8cdd122_b.jpgMain Dining Room by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

We skipped dessert in the main dining room (you know... since we had ANOTHER dining reservation), and our waiter seemed offended. This isn't the first time this has happened. For some reason on cruises, when you tell your server that you don't want dessert, it's like a stab to the heart

Now on to Wonderland! This restaurant is themed around - you guessed it - Alice in Wonderland. But before you say, "Wait! Isn't that Disney's character?" know that Walt Disney's Alice in Wonderland was based on Lewis Carroll's novels, Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass. So as long as they don't use licensed Disney characters or their likeness, Wonderland is fair game.

Wonderland is an experience for the curious appetite. You begin by going through the Rabbit Hole into a peculiar fantasy.

49320016123_2b9968faec_b.jpgWonderland by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

49320512961_c0e3425454_b.jpgWonderland by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

Wonderland has a lounge with a bar on the upper level. This restaurant is known for its creative drink menu, and you do not need a reservation or to pay the cover to visit the bar.

49320016298_e2f1f301bb_b.jpgWonderland by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

Fun and interesting furniture throughout. You can see the tree reference here. Maybe we're in the garden. What's missing are the doors of different sizes - missed opportunity.

49320724172_ecb2acba0a_b.jpgWonderland by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

The venue is beautiful. It's my favorite atmosphere of all the specialty restaurants, and the other Shinglbells agree. The dining room is a double-height space with a geometric faceted façade which overlooks the Boardwalk. Later that evening, they started the Aqua Show, and we could see the divers.

49320724062_6d0f8d7fa2_b.jpgWonderland by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

To get to the dining room, you go down.... down.... down... a spiral set of stairs.

Here's your place setting. That's not a fork.... it's a paint brush!

49320723952_bd1d393445_b.jpgWonderland by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

And the menu is.... blank!

49320512226_6a2d6e50c1_b.jpgWonderland by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

So you wet your paint brush in water and "paint" the menu.

49320723687_1c98630760_b.jpgWonderland by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

This is a cool effect, giving off Disney Cruise Line Animator's Palate vibes. My question is - what does this have to do with Alice in Wonderland? It's been awhile since I've read the book or seen the Disney movie, so if I'm missing the reference, please let me know. But it seems to me like this is just a cool effect that they just decided to do to make things interesting. I appreciate the effect, but it's not on theme.

Rachel and Stove said that it was a lot of effort just to read the menu.

Speaking of the menu... it sure gets curiouser and curiouser. With names like "Liquid Lobster" and "Tomato Water," I can understand Stove's aversion.

49320015408_0b2c2b0990_b.jpgWonderland by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

Here's the drink menu I was talking about. I chose the Rolling Stone because honestly, it was the only drink on the menu that I knew I would enjoy. Mezcal and cucumber - that's my jam! The other drinks were... and I hate to phrase it like this... boy drinks. And I know some woman is going to say, "Wait a minute - I love scotch whisky!" To which I'd respond, "You and my Uncle John."

Notice at the top of the menu it says "Drink Me." It's on theme, and I appreciate it.... but why didn't the dinner menu say "Eat Me"? Who messed that up? Also, I wish they were more in-your-face with "Drink Me" and "Eat Me." I seriously don't understand why they passed up on the opportunity to adorn these labels on the glassware and serving dishes. This is a reference that most everyone will understand and love - a completely "Instagrammable" moment that was overlooked!

49320015213_5b2e9dd705_b.jpgWonderland by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

The glassware is cool, though. Rachel ordered a glass of wine, and it was served in this awesome tall glass.

49320510151_f4999f002a_b.jpgWonderland by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

Here it is, the Rolling Stone! I enjoyed it.

49320723152_24d0cea85d_b.jpgWonderland by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

The Mad Hatter's Purple Potted Shrimp. Pretty sure the Mad Hatter was consuming tea and cakes, but okay, I'll take it - this is even curiouser. The shrimp was actually very good. And get this - Stove loved it!

49320723067_abec4e9a4f_b.jpgWonderland by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

The Bird's Nest has an awesome presentation. When it's delivered to the table, it has a clear glass lid over it which is encasing smoke. When the lid is removed, the smoke is released. Also, Alice is always talking about eating eggs and birds, so this dish is on theme. And I enjoyed the eggs.

49320722987_8e916e7b59_b.jpgWonderland by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

Reconstructed Caprese. Not specifically on theme, just weird.

49320511411_c1960895bb_b.jpgWonderland by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

Now - the Liquid Lobster! Another menu item included just because it sounds weird. It's actually tomato bisque with caviar and not anything to be afraid of.

49320511261_aefe7935b0_b.jpgWonderland by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

The Citrus Seas Shhh was Judy's favorite. Well, she said it was the most memorable, actually, so that doesn't necessarily mean favorite. Also said, "A lot of time invested for a miniature snow cone," and while I didn't ask her to clarify, I'm pretty sure she meant her time spent in the restaurant, not the time of whoever scooped the snow cone.

49320014513_e21275abfe_b.jpgWonderland by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

The Chicken and the Egg -

49320511121_7449a289a1_b.jpgWonderland by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

Snap, Crackle, and Pork -

49320722597_74af872cef_b.jpgWonderland by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

What's that... another short rib?!?! The Rib "I" Luscious Short Rib. I initially said, "No more short rib for me! I've tried enough!" But then I tried it and decided that it was the best of the three (vs. Jamie's Italian and main dining room). It was the sauce... I actually liked this sauce.

49320510986_ac53752a23_b.jpgWonderland by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

Branzino in Crispy Bread

49320510866_fd86f819b8_b.jpgWonderland by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

Mushrooms... this is on theme. But like most Royal Caribbean desserts, the presentation was beautiful and the taste was mediocre.

49320014073_87568350cd_b.jpgWonderland by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

This one is called "The World." Now this is a dessert that I can get behind. It comes out as this hard shell chocolate ball. Warm peanut butter ganache is poured over the top.

49320510691_e7acce1d94_b.jpgWonderland by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

49320510596_35c962ddee_b.jpgWonderland by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

The chocolate shell melts...

49320510536_05ed36a9a4_b.jpgWonderland by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

To reveal salted caramel ice cream! My favorite dessert so far.

49320510046_439645cfa8_b.jpgWonderland by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

The Forbidden Apple..... woah, woah, woah! Whoever created this menu must've been keen to the underlying sexuality theme in Alice in Wonderland. Either that or they were confusing Alice in Wonderland with the Bible - classic mix-up! This apple should be Forbidden, and it's because it's pretty gross. Don't be fooled by the outside - the inside is raspberry cream.

49320510431_f02cec0641_b.jpgWonderland by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

Okay, the Shinglebells are divided on opinions of Wonderland. Judy said, "It was like Royal Caribbean tried to Disney. Did not quite pull it off." I totally understand that thought. They did choose to use the name Wonderland which most will associate with Disney. And it's just not a good idea to compete with Disney.

If the goal was to take this restaurant full-on Wonderland, there were a lot of missed opportunities. Maybe there is a clock which indicates that it is always 6:00. They should add to the menu Mock Turtle Soup and the Queen's Tarts. Maybe the dessert menu could be presented on playing cards. And then at the end of dinner, they should do something that indicates we have awoken from a dream. There are so many creative opportunities with this Wonderland theme. I honestly wonder if whoever worked on this project even read the book or did any research.

I think they could be successful if they drop the familiar characters and references and instead take this in an unfamiliar Meow Wolf direction. It could be a well-represented artistic dining experience with original theming and storytelling. I like the idea of experimental dining and a unique, imaginative menu. It doesn't need to revolve around a well-known literary character.

Now the food.... to quote Judy, "The food was just plain bizarre."

I actually enjoyed the unique menu. Having sailed Royal Caribbean so many times with the same bland dining room menu, I really enjoyed that this was unlike anything I've ever experienced before on a cruise ship. Also, I think unique dishes work in their favor as far as perception of quality. When I order a steak medium rare, I know exactly how it is supposed to look and taste. But Liquid Lobster? If I don't like it, maybe it's just because it's weird, not because whoever was manning the grill forgot to take off my steak and it was delivered to me well done. I think this would be a good direction for Royal Caribbean to take their main dining room menu. Instead of serving well known food at a mediocre quality, serve more creative, lesser-known food, and we might not even understand that it's only mediocre.

We all really loved the venue, and our service here was excellent. Our waiter was nice and personable.

Three out of four Shinglebells have no desire to return to Wonderland. Rachel said that she was glad we tried it, but it's a one and done thing. I am the only one who really enjoyed the experience and would definitely return again. I liked it. I'm totally down for the weird.

That was a late evening! We were greeted in our stateroom by this little buddy....

49320022128_7e42deb6df_b.jpgTowel Animal by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

• Like 1

On 2/7/2020 at 12:18 PM, LittleMissMagic said:

Awesome!! Let me know how you like the lens!

My Flickr is https://www.flickr.com/gp/vshingleton/L5V325

You can just click on any of the photos in this thread, and there should be active links that take you straight to that photo on Flickr with the image stats.

I didn't get the lens in time for our cruise, but I think I did ok with just my iPhone.  I only used the dslr in San Juan and on balcony for CocoCay.  I've been very sick since returning.  I'll let you know about the lens!  Thanks for your link!

On 2/17/2020 at 7:51 PM, LittleMissMagic said:

We met our waiter, and I'll just say, she was not our biggest fan. "Where have you guys been all week?" We told her that we had specialty dining, and we felt her judgement. She was very respectful in asking if we had other reservations that we were in a hurry to get to, so Rachel told her about our 9PM reservation (to Wonderland!!), and she told us that she would get us out in time to make it.

Stove is smiling in this photo, but the reason I took it is because he was complaining about the butter. "What happened to the real butter?" I think he may have been remembering Princess Cruise Lines, or one of the cruise lines that serves fresh butter in a cold dish. Or maybe we're just specialty dining snobs now.

I've read this many times, why are the MDR waiters offended when we have specialty dining reservations? They are still paid their gratuities?  

The description on the butter was too tiny to read! What exactly is it?  I found it was difficult to open.

• 2 weeks later...

On Day 5, we docked in Roatan, Honduras. We've been to Roatan before and went ziplining. We didn't have an excursion booked today and decided once again to stay on the ship.

49427513073_9efb89f547_b.jpgRoatan by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

Also, see the cranes and bulldozers? We were docked in a construction zone! They must be working on developing this port.

49427512958_ebfd5eab98_b.jpgRoatan by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

So we heard a lot of construction noise and "BEEP BEEP BEEP" which isn't anything out of the ordinary for Rachel or myself. I mean Rachel just moved out of her job site trailer before this cruise, so I'm not even sure if she noticed anything out of the ordinary.

49427984676_b1a3dc544b_b.jpgRoatan by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

We headed up to mini Bites for breakfast today. They have a custom omelette station. I don't really do omelettes, so that wasn't a huge draw for me, but Stove is a big omelette fan.

49427984436_21b1ebe9a1_b.jpgMini Bites by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

I'll reiterate here that we never set foot in the Windjammer the entire cruise, and I honestly think if we had, we would've noticed the crowds on the ship. But, know that crowds are almost completely avoidable!!

49428209632_71ec61ec37_b.jpgMini Bites by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

On our last Royal Caribbean cruise, Rachel and I finally braved the Flow Rider. Stove was trying to convince us to do it again.... when we realized he still hadn't gone on the Flow Rider. We told him it was his turn -we were going to watch him!

The good thing about staying on the ship, instead of getting off at port, is that the wait isn't so long for the Flow Rider. However, it's important to note their hours - I think they shut down at 11 AM, and didn't start back up until 1 PM that day. So make sure that you go early enough in the morning to get a couple of times on the Flow Rider before they close down.

49427512333_7ff8e68c14_b.jpgAbyss by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

We were in port with a Norwegian ship...

49427984111_1b090fc9f6_b.jpgRoatan by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

And that's a Carnival Ship in the distance. Carnival has Mahogany Bay in Roatan which is their own private beach. It functions like a private island in that you don't have to pay for chairs on the beach. However, you're not restricted to Carnival-only excursions. You can book excursions through independent groups. When we visited back in 2010, we just walked across the street and went ziplining at an independent company.

49427983901_4dba30ca81_b.jpgAbyss by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

49427511908_ecf956ef11_b.jpgRoatan by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

49427511843_d021e31ac1_b.jpgRoatan by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

49427511543_59fc073504_b.jpgRoatan by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

Okay, now back to the Flow Rider. There are two Flow Riders on the Oasis-class ships. On Harmony, the port side Flow Rider was dedicated to flowboarding (stand-up), and the starboard side was dedicated to bodyboarding. You have to sign a waiver and get a wrist band before you can do the flow rider. They actually only issue wrist bands for the bodyboarding. If you want to graduate to stand-up, you need to do the bodyboarding and be able to get up fully on your knees with your legs out of the water (not just laying on your stomach). Once you do that, they'll give you a different colored wristband for the flowboarding.

49428208767_7bdb1904ee_b.jpgFlow Rider by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

It's important to know that there are also significant physical restrictions to the Flow Rider. For bodyboarding, you need to be at least 52" tall, and for flowboarding, at least 58" (that's only 2" shorter than me!!). It is my understanding that this is for safety reasons. Because this is a moving vessel, Royal Caribbean is very strict on all of their sports activities. If your child doesn't meet the height requirements for the Flow Rider but really wants to give it a go, check out to see if any of the ports you're sailing too have flow riders with lower height restrictions. For example, Grand Turk Margaritaville has a 55" height requirement for the flowboard.

49427983281_2b806b4a10_b.jpgFlow Rider by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

Even if you aren't interested in trying out the Flow Rider, it's fun to watch. They have shaded stadium seating on each side, so you can just sit down and watch people wipe out.

49427983131_4e889c4883_b.jpgFlow Rider by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

It was Stove's moment to prove himself.... look at him go!!

49427982586_f6dfb5af8f_b.jpgFlow Rider by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

Get it, Stove!! I'll remind you now that he's 65 years old.

49427510683_e39b0fefd7_b.jpgFlow Rider by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

But also, he's skied and kneeboarded behind a boat for most of his life, so actually his skill isn't that surprising.

49428201842_0556a2299b_b.jpgFlow Rider by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr