'JUST' water ..... no more plastic water bottles

Buckeye10640

Has anyone had the new water 'bottles' in their room yet?  While we bring and refill our own water  bottles, we usually order some bottled water for the convenience. I see NCL has switched to this new packagjng and wondered if anyone had tried it and if they are still 1 liter containers. 

• Thanks 1

Had the Just Water bottles on Jade back in October.  The bottles still don't wholly address the plastic issue however.  As you can see from the above pic, the entire top part (including but not limited to the screw cap) is still plastic.  Also, it is a somewhat   thicker plastic than you see on a standard all plastic water bottle.  It makes one wonder just how much plastic is saved overall.  My feeling is that this is just a temporary "solution" until something with zero plastic is found that is deemed acceptable.   

36 minutes ago, MichiganBound said:

Had the Just Water bottles on Jade back in October.  The bottles still don't wholly address the plastic issue however.  As you can see from the above pic, the entire top part (including but not limited to the screw cap) is still plastic.  Also, it is a somewhat   thicker plastic than you see on a standard all plastic water bottle.  It makes one wonder just how much plastic is saved overall.  My feeling is that this is just a temporary "solution" until something with zero plastic is found that is deemed acceptable.   

The cap is actually made from sugarcane, its a sustainable source for “plastic” as it simply gets grown, converted to ethanol, and into “green plastic”.   Still cant be composted however.  

4 hours ago, hallux said:

Suggest you do some research - https://justwater.com/ourpackaging/

A lot of claims that don't hold water.

Those Tetra Paks may well be 100% recyclable......... but so is a plastic bottle.

Certainly where I live it is dead easy to recycle a plastic bottle but nowhere will accept a Tetra Pak carton that milk comes in due to the mixed materials, I always buy my milk in plastic or glass as it's easy to recycle, if I buy in a Tetra Pak it will end up in the trash.

It's all well and good making something 100% recyclable but making it 100% easily recyclable is a different matter. At least on the ship they have to take care of the recycling.

• Like 1

Remember when we all switched to plastic because it was going to "save trees" by reducing the amount of paper consumed?  Now we're back to using paper in place of plastic...and plastic is now bad...no wonder no other planets have sent their people here, they likely don't want to catch whatever it is that we have.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, VtMac said:

The cap is actually made from sugarcane, its a sustainable source for “plastic” as it simply gets grown, converted to ethanol, and into “green plastic”.   Still cant be composted however.  

Thanks for the info as I didn't know that. I still have my doubts however.   If it can't be composted, how "green" is it really?  Also, if I throw it into the re-cycle bin, what will they do with it since it is a mix of paper and "green plastic" (and some aluminum apparently)? My guess is it ends up in a landfill.

It seems to me that Just Water is a product that allows people to feel better about the bottle/carton thing but still doesn't fully address the issue of waste needing to be easily biodegradable.  I continue to believe that this will be a transitory solution till something better comes along.  Why can't we just go back to good old milk cartons from the 70's.  Weren't they just cardboard with some wax to give them structure?  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MichiganBound said:

I continue to believe that this will be a transitory solution till something better comes along.  Why can't we just go back to good old milk cartons from the 70's.  Weren't they just cardboard with some wax to give them structure?  

Good question.  In this case they say “green” due to the front end carbon footprint. That of course has its own issues with large commercial farming etc. I pay attention to this as I work in the hospitality world and it matters to

my guests.  But I also remember corn based “Plastic” utensils and them being compostable....only to find out they were not.  Now, like this bio plastic, it can be but only in large commercial composters that can reach a required heat which in turn begs the question of how and where does that exhaust go, and whats in it.  At least we are finally trying to move the gauge in the right direction

There is NO dollar more stupidly spent on a cruise ship then on bottled water. 

For crying out loud, take an empty bottle, fill it with tap water from your sink that's probably cleaner than what you drink at home, throw a lemon slice in there (optional) and put it in the fridge. A hour or two later it's literally indistinguishable from what you pay for, AND you don't have to poison yourself by drinking out of an aluminum-lined box!

Edited by PortFees45
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, PortFees45 said:

For crying out loud, take an empty bottle, fill it with tap water from your sink that's probably cleaner than what you drink at home, throw a lemon slice in there (optional) and put it in the fridge. A hour or two later it's literally indistinguishable from what you pay for, AND you don't have to poison yourself by drinking out of an aluminum-lined box!

Fresh water right out of the tap. 

163FE820-6817-432E-A838-852F99A7CEB6.jpeg

404A6A45-D191-4EFA-B529-910AF40B15EE.jpeg

16 hours ago, PortFees45 said:

But it could be the water from home (that you don’t drink). NCL’s latest report shows that 15% of the water on ships is bunkered (I.e., loaded from local ports). There are ships like the Sky that bunkers all of her water and does not run her water purification plants.

4B8EBD03-5237-4B8D-AAD4-47BE25966552.jpeg

Edited by BirdTravels

11 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

But it could be the water from home (that you don’t drink). NCL’s latest report shows that 15% of the water on ships is bunkered (I.e., loaded from local ports). There are ships like the Sky that bunkers all of her water and does not run her water purification plants.

4B8EBD03-5237-4B8D-AAD4-47BE25966552.jpeg

I don't drink tap water at home? How did you miraculously divine that non-fact?

My guess, from the limited info seen thus far, is that these are likely 1/2 liter or 16.9 oz sized water cartons, not 1 liter.  16.9 oz are available & sold locally in retail stores here, minus the NCL branding - which would be consistent with the 16.9 oz NCL Premium water in bottles, distributed onboard last month.  I don't see 1 liter elsewhere at all, unless NCL has a special arrangement to ship them (the carbon footprint in trucking ... ) out to all the ports from its bottling source -  Glens Fall, NY (a small upstate town).  

They are supposed to be refillable & reusable ... but, the aluminum lining :classic_huh: - only reuse if we filtered with our Brita sports bottle.  

BTW, it was asked & confirmed - yesterday - at the Gem's Panama crossing's M&G that ship's tap water in the cabin/stateroom/suite aren't filtered except those at the buffet & restaurants, water "stations" - otherwise w/o the extra filtration.  

"BTW, it was asked & confirmed - yesterday - at the Gem's Panama crossing's M&G that ship's tap water in the cabin/stateroom/suite aren't filtered except those at the buffet & restaurants, water "stations" - otherwise w/o the extra filtration."

So what are you drinking in cabin tap water that isn't present in water from the buffet?