As we say goodbye to plastic straws here are the straws that will be available soon on all the ships from most of the bars

theeddie

This has been an interesting read.  I use a plastic disposable straw when I drink cold drinks out of my yeti, but don't use one when I drink out of my yeti wine cup.  I don't use a straw with my coffee or hot chocolate.  I don't use a straw in my mug of beer, but I do use one in my water glass at restaurants.  I don't use a straw if I drink out of a soda can, either.  I reuse my disposable straw at home for quite some time, since I mostly drink water through it. I think where I would really miss a straw is in a drink that has ice in it or a frozen drink.  I just find frozen is easier through a straw & I hate it when all the ice attacks your face when you get almost done with the iced drink.  The person who mentioned women not wanting to ruin their lipstick has a point.  I also hate when lipstick gets all on the edge of the glass.  I'm not keen on the idea of carrying around a plastic or metal reusable straw.  I don't have pockets in my swimsuit, so there is a problem there.  Not sure I will bother to ever pack disposable straws to take with me.  I guess I will just suffer through.

• Like 1

Most people are flying to the port in a polluting airplane, then taking a trip on a polluting ship that is guzzling fuel to keep all the bells and whistles going for their entertainment.  The demand that food be readily available so they can indulge anytime they want creating an environment with enough food waste to feed a few villages in Africa.  They are ordering bottled water by the case because the ships water isn't to their standard.

....but they are saving the world by not using a plastic straw.  LOL.

We went through this 25 years ago but then it was trees....gotta save the trees.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

My question is, what do you do with reusable straws after you finish your drink? Run to a bathroom immediately to rinse it out? Walk around with a sticky, drippy straw? What do guys do without a purse to stash them in?  

Why... you stick it behind your ear like a pencil so that it's handy for your next drink.

We are going to see a lot of sticky ears on cruise ships going forward...   😂

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, rukkian said:

I get that there are many people like that, but there are also growing numbers of people that see what we are doing to the world an are willing to put up with a bit of inconvenience if it can help the planet.  

In the end, I think some people with willingly accept the changes, some will be pissed, and the rest just won't care much either way.  I think there will be new innovation from companies that will see people that are frustrated and will invent and sell some alternative to the horrible single use plastics that are 90% as good (maybe better?).  I don't pretend to know what that will be, but I am sure there are very smart people working on it as we speak.

Actually, I think people are tired of all the virtue signaling.  Like Ricky Gervais said at the golden globes.  

Everyone knows this is the beginning of people with agendas trying to shut down the entire cruise industry.  If straws are so bad, how bad are ships?  Just go on a virtual reality vacation with your metal straw in your mouth to “save” the planet.  Only—- none of it will.  All the trash is coming from Asia, not straws on carnival cruise ships.  There is less pollution in the US now than there has ever been.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

While carrying your own personal reusable straw is a solution, my goal on a cruise is to go minimal.  Keeping up with a straw and then cleaning it after every use just doesn't appeal to me.  I want throw-away straws available when ordering milkshakes, frozen drinks, etc.

There are many single-use environmentally-friendly sturdy drinking straw options.  There are reinforced paper straws and straws made from plant stalks, for example.  I found straw straws (yes, straws made out of straw) at a price point of 8 cents per straw to the retail market, and there may be some cheaper options.  I imagine a bulk purchaser like Carnival would get a much better deal.

If it comes down to it, I am willing to pay an environmental tax of a few cents more a drink to be able to abandon my (decomposable) straw with my empty glass.

In the end, though, I just want to cruise.  If that means no straws (because I refuse to carry one), then bring on the milkshake moustache!

• Like 1

Thankfully I have gotten use to packing a Tervis-type cup which has it's own straw.  I am a slow drinker so if I'm by the pool and order a drink it gets watered down as the ice melts.  I also hate "sweating" glasses.  I love having my own cup - I pour my drink into it (sometimes the bartender will just mix it and pour it into my cup) - drink stays ice cold and my hands stay dry.

• Like 2

Oh my, I didn't want to get involved in another straw discussion, but I cruise in 2 weeks and I need some help.  I've cruised on Carnival several times since the straw situation began.  For the most part, I have received a straw or stirrer with all of the drinks when I requested them. I have adjusted to only having a straw in certain situations.  That's a good thing in my opinion.  I don't mind doing my part, but toting around a reusable straw is unsanitary in my book. Too much hand to mouth contamination. Rinsing them off in a public restroom?  Not for me.  What about stirrers for mixed drinks? When you order a vodka cranberry, how do you stir it? With your fingers?  What about those olives floating around in your martini or bloody mary?  Are you supposed to fish them out with your fingers?  How are the ships currently handling these situations?   I'm looking for what to expect so that I can bring on environmentally friendly options.  I found cornstarch individually wrapped straws and individually wrapped bamboo stirrers.  I have a compromised immune system and really can't take too many chances.  

Don't know how common they are but I was given a chocolate straw (very heavy!) for my iced coffee on the Miracle last weekend.  I was able to drink the entire drink without it getting soggy but I didn't hang onto it long enough to actually taste it.

I guess I will have to see what is available on the Legend in a couple of weeks.  It looks like the ships are using up what they have on stock so there are many differences.  I will bring on some of my own supplies and see how it goes.   

On 1/7/2020 at 2:23 PM, ray98 said:

Most people are flying to the port in a polluting airplane, then taking a trip on a polluting ship that is guzzling fuel to keep all the bells and whistles going for their entertainment.  The demand that food be readily available so they can indulge anytime they want creating an environment with enough food waste to feed a few villages in Africa.  They are ordering bottled water by the case because the ships water isn't to their standard.

....but they are saving the world by not using a plastic straw.  LOL.

We went through this 25 years ago but then it was trees....gotta save the trees.

Exactly, remember when paper grocery bags were destroying all the trees, and plastic was the savior?  😎 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, RoperDK said:

Oh my, I didn't want to get involved in another straw discussion, but I cruise in 2 weeks and I need some help.  I've cruised on Carnival several times since the straw situation began.  For the most part, I have received a straw or stirrer with all of the drinks when I requested them. I have adjusted to only having a straw in certain situations.  That's a good thing in my opinion.  I don't mind doing my part, but toting around a reusable straw is unsanitary in my book. Too much hand to mouth contamination. Rinsing them off in a public restroom?  Not for me.  What about stirrers for mixed drinks? When you order a vodka cranberry, how do you stir it? With your fingers?  What about those olives floating around in your martini or bloody mary?  Are you supposed to fish them out with your fingers?  How are the ships currently handling these situations?   I'm looking for what to expect so that I can bring on environmentally friendly options.  I found cornstarch individually wrapped straws and individually wrapped bamboo stirrers.  I have a compromised immune system and really can't take too many chances.  

On the Breeze the only straws they had were the sugar straws. The coffee bar used metal stirrers that after you used you put in a used container. I think I saw wooden stirrers at Red Frog or Alchemy. I’m glad I didn’t bother bringing straws with me because after the first day the no straw thing was a non issue. I got used to not using a straw very quickly. I think it’s really a bigger deal here on CC then it is in reality.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

Doesn't the ships offer paper straws at every bar ?  Suppose you may have to ask.  

Three weeks ago on the Liberty, paper straws were not provided. They also refused to provide a sugar straw with soft drinks and only with alcoholic drinks. I ended up carrying my own plastic straws anywhere I went.

Two weeks prior to that, unlimited paper straws provided on the Independence of the Seas. Currently onboard Coral Princess and paper straws are provided upon request without any issues. For 4 days, paper and plastic products will be banned shipwide (including cups and plates — replaced with ceramic) while in Antarctica. No worries though... I brought plastic straws with me.

On 1/7/2020 at 7:16 AM, TravelGirlinDallas said:

My question is, what do you do with reusable straws after you finish your drink? Run to a bathroom immediately to rinse it out? Walk around with a sticky, drippy straw? What do guys do without a purse to stash them in?  

I order a glass of water and drink some water, cleaning my straw. At night I give the straw a good scrubbing with hot water and the bottle brush I have for it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SC Beachlover said:

What ever happened to waxed-paper straws (that were replaced by single use plastic straws.) They would last through the drink and then devolve at the land fill.

The wax probably irritates some rare frog in South America as it degrades.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, SC Beachlover said:

What ever happened to waxed-paper straws (that were replaced by single use plastic straws.) They would last through the drink and then devolve at the land fill.

I am guessing that is a cost thing.  I am sure they are fine, but probably cost quite a bit more than plastic or regular paper (which are already more expensive than plastic).  One of the reasons we have so much plastic is because it is cheap to make.  It is also much cheaper to make new than to recycle, or we would also recycle much more.  Most plastic gets thrown after one use.

18 minutes ago, HakunaMatada said:

wait, now I'm gonna have to carry a straw with me while on board? ugg do they sell a "straw lanyard?"

I think you just invented something. Make one that carries your S&S card and has an extra place to slide your straw in. You will be rich!

Use this as evidence that it was your idea first.

🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, HakunaMatada said:

wait, now I'm gonna have to carry a straw with me while on board? ugg do they sell a "straw lanyard?"

Good lord, don't give them any ideas. They already took advantage of the situation and started selling the stupid reusable straws. How about they take some of the money saved from eliminating plastic items and profiting from reusable straws, and funnel it into bringing back more stewards & wait staff.

14 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

Good lord, don't give them any ideas. They already took advantage of the situation and started selling the stupid reusable straws. How about they take some of the money saved from eliminating plastic items and profiting from reusable straws, and funnel it into bringing back more stewards & wait staff.

Great idea! I'll vote for that! 👍