SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT

ronrick1943

Just got a note from my TA, Crystal Cruises (maybe only on the Endeavor) offer Pre-Paid Gratuities Aboard & Ashore as part of their All Inclusive Crystal Experience.  If they do it on one ship I'm sure will be on all ships before too long. Hey, Regent look what your competition is doing.

I hope you're right but you have to remember that the Endeavor is an expedition ship which includes ALL excursions in the cost of the cruise so Crystal might be going the extra mile here by also including gratuities. This does not necessarily mean it will translate to their regular cruise ships. And for the fares the Endeavor is charging these gratuities are a drop in the bucket.

2 hours ago, drib said:

That would be pretty great!

And even if it's something Crystal is only doing for their Expedition ship, which I bet it is, I would love for Regent to start doing this on their cruises. I always tip a tour guide, but it's often difficult because of all the currencies on some trips, and then there's the issue of tipping the bus driver or not. Plus, I feel guilty when I look around and see so many people who do not tip. So I'd be all for that on Regent.

Don't forget Regent states it's cruises are all inclusive - time to make that next step.

4 hours ago, drib said:

Because I was born that way.

First of all you shouldn't see anyone tipping, that's a personal gesture that should be done in private between you and the person you're tipping. If you see it, then someone is showing off and wanting you to see it for themself.

• Like 1

Drib,

You shouldn't feel guilty for tipping - you should feel - well, exalted!  These folks aren't getting paid like CEOs.  A few Euros or whatever the coin of the realm is, is the MOST nice thing you can do (better than hugs or hearty handclasps).  Every excursion we take, I go out of my way (trips down to the cashier) to make sure I have money to tip BOTH the guide AND the driver.  You hand the tip directly to the driver - don't tell the guide to give it to him/her.  Human nature and all that, ya know!  2 Euros may be chump change to you, but it can make the driver's day.  And of course, we want the drivers TO BE HAPPY!  No driving off the cliff, eh what??  

• Like 3

11 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

First of all you shouldn't see anyone tipping, that's a personal gesture that should be done in private between you and the person you're tipping. If you see it, then someone is showing off and wanting you to see it for themself.

Do you tip the tour guides on excursions?  I'm curious how you accomplish it in a stealth-like manner when you're exiting a large coach, with guests behind you, and in front of you milling around the entrance to the bus?

2 hours ago, RJ2002 said:

Do you tip the tour guides on excursions?  I'm curious how you accomplish it in a stealth-like manner when you're exiting a large coach, with guests behind you, and in front of you milling around the entrance to the bus?

Yes I do, I just hand it to them, say think you and move on-no big deal.

• Like 3

Seems that tipping the guides/drivers is being a bit "over thought" here.  It's simple, tipping is optional and personal.  If you want to tip...tip.  If not, then don't.  Determine what amount YOU  feel is fair and don't worry about anyone else.  

And don't let anyone "shame" you into a certain amount or even tipping. It's no one else's business but yours.  If you want to tip, hand it to whomever you want and say thank you. If others see it or don't is totally irrelevant. Just my opinion.

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 2