BTB cabin allocation, am I missing something?

stouennais

I booked a 14 day cruise which is basically 2 back to back cruises.  We enjoy Caribe deck but was told none were available only Aloha deck so this is what I booked.

On checking both of the 7 day cruises, I see plenty of Caribe deck cabins available and the price was the same for the two 7 day cruise as the 14 day cruise.

So I phoned to ask why I couldn't have the same Caribe deck cabin for both cruises as surely as a Platinum level customer, this should not be a problem if the prices worked out the same.

Well it seems it is complicated and I do not have an answer yet but hopefully soon but I can't see why there is any problem.  Am I missing something?

Princess allocates certain cabins for certain bookings. In your case if booked as a 14 day you can reserve Aloha deck. If booked as two 7 days you can get Caribe deck, but not Aloha. Sometimes a T.A. can speak with the Princess supervisors to arrange cabins not allocated for your booking. We have had limited success. We normally always book b2b's as individual booking numbers. Provides greater flexibility and generally there is very little difference in fares netted against OBC.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, stouennais said:

I booked a 14 day cruise which is basically 2 back to back cruises.  We enjoy Caribe deck but was told none were available only Aloha deck so this is what I booked.

On checking both of the 7 day cruises, I see plenty of Caribe deck cabins available and the price was the same for the two 7 day cruise as the 14 day cruise.

So I phoned to ask why I couldn't have the same Caribe deck cabin for both cruises as surely as a Platinum level customer, this should not be a problem if the prices worked out the same.

Well it seems it is complicated and I do not have an answer yet but hopefully soon but I can't see why there is any problem.  Am I missing something?

Here is what we have found:  It all depends on who YOU speak to or who YOUR TA speaks to.  In the past, we have booked a 14 day in a 2d choice cabin, then learned weeks later that our 1st choice of cabin was available on the 2 seven day cruises.  We have called and got no where but called again later and the next customer service person had no problem switching us.  Same with using a TA; they have called and gotten the answer no then called the loyalty office and they switched the cabin without any problems.  A lot also depends on how far out your cruise is and whether or not they are really pushing (selling) the 7 day cruises.  Good luck hope it works out.

• Thanks 1

We had this same issue...we just ended up booking it as 2 separate cruises got the 2 cruise credits for it vs the 1, got the cabin we wanted..price was the same either way and they carried over our platinum internet minutes from one cruise to the next, same with the on board charges...got just the one bill at the end. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Same thing for us, and it is costing us both our FCC that we had leaving us without any, and 150 less OBC (50 each for military and 50 for the shares). You get $100 for 7 days and $250 for 14

We had our TA try to get it as a 14 day without success.

Edited by Schonert

1 hour ago, cruzrbachoua said:

We had this same issue...we just ended up booking it as 2 separate cruises got the 2 cruise credits for it vs the 1, got the cabin we wanted..price was the same either way and they carried over our platinum internet minutes from one cruise to the next, same with the on board charges...got just the one bill at the end. 

If you book a b2 b as one 14 night sailing vs. 2 -7 night sailings, you still get 2 cruise credits.

As far as I can tell, the selections of rooms available when booking a 14 night sailing that is also sold as 2-7 nighters are always limited. For a time, our 14 night sailing was shown as being sold out, while you could still book a first or second half as a 7 night portion.

Edited by richsea

10 minutes ago, Schonert said:

Same thing for us, and it is costing us both our FCC that we had leaving us without any, and 150 less OBC (50 each for military and 50 for the shares). You get $100 for 7 days and $250 for 14

We had our TA try to get it as a 14 day without success.

Although I'm not in danger of losing any, has anyone had any success getting OBC from the 2nd leg shifted to the 1st leg? I have only 150 nonrefundable OBC on the 1st but 700 (250 nonrefundable) on the 2nd. I tried to explain it to my PVP and ran into the 1st time I had difficulty.  😔 so I tried calling the 1800# but cannot get thru so I've email Princess Circle. Stick a fork in me I'm done

21 minutes ago, richsea said:

If you book a b2 b as one 14 night sailing vs. 2 -7 night sailings, you still get 2 cruise credits.

Good to know...I figured since it is only 1 booking # and listed as a 14 day cruise it would only be 1 cruise credit...seeing as the only time we did it we had to book as 2 7 days...but will keep it in mind in case we do it again.

10 minutes ago, cruzrbachoua said:

Good to know...I figured since it is only 1 booking # and listed as a 14 day cruise it would only be 1 cruise credit...seeing as the only time we did it we had to book as 2 7 days...but will keep it in mind in case we do it again.

Yep, we booked 2-10 nighter as  1 sailing & got 2 credits; & now they show we will get 2 credits for our upcoming 14 nights on Regal Princess 

40 minutes ago, richsea said:

Yep, we booked 2-10 nighter as  1 sailing & got 2 credits; & now they show we will get 2 credits for our upcoming 14 nights on Regal Princess 

AWESOME!!! Enjoy...wee bit jealous.  Just wish we got some credit for land tours like the one we are doing in Alaska in 153 days!

4 hours ago, stouennais said:

You would have to get Princess or your travel agent would have to get Princess (if you have one) to release the cabin from inventory for the cruise you want it for.

43 minutes ago, cruzrbachoua said:

AWESOME!!! Enjoy...wee bit jealous.  Just wish we got some credit for land tours like the one we are doing in Alaska in 153 days!

Yeah, we've done 13 day and a 15 day cruisetours in Alaska and only got credit for the 7 days on the ship each time. One the other hand it's nice to be able to have such first world problems. 😋

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ombud said:

Although I'm not in danger of losing any, has anyone had any success getting OBC from the 2nd leg shifted to the 1st leg? I have only 150 nonrefundable OBC on the 1st but 700 (250 nonrefundable) on the 2nd. I tried to explain it to my PVP and ran into the 1st time I had difficulty.  😔 so I tried calling the 1800# but cannot get thru so I've email Princess Circle. Stick a fork in me I'm done

Very doubtful you can shift OBC. The only reason you would want to do this is if you are planning on pre-booking excursions. You can not use OBC to pre-book anything else.

But, if you are only using OBC for on board expenses then it really does not matter. At the end of your 1st voyage your account will have a net balance, probably a debit balance. Your second voyage's account will start with this balance, then your $700 credit will be added and you will have a net debit or credit balance. It all nets out in the end.

20 hours ago, Ombud said:

Well in that it is purchased OBC I can't use it for prebooking shore excursions.  Honesty if I have any left on the 2nd leg I'll get a check

PVP Mary emailed me this morning that she is shifting 325 OBC to the 1st leg. So I'll have 475 on the B2B and just 425 on the B2B 👍

Edited to add: I just looked at it again and it's 50 too much. Staying quiet

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I found out that by booking 2  - 7 day cruises as a B2B and not as a single 14 day cruise I was able to get the SAME cabin for both 7days and it was the WS on the Enchanted that I really wanted!  It was not available on the 14 day cruise itinerary.  So now when I am booking a longer cruise I look at all the ways it can be booked to get the best cabin I can get.   

Pooh