Help! Cabin upgrade on Viking Sky and we sail in 2 days!

grandma239

On 1/10/2020 at 4:15 PM, grandma239 said:

Yep, we in our cabin right now, and I hear thudding above me. Hoping against hope this is not a regular thing.

14 hours ago, grandma239 said:

I was the one who originally posted asking if noise would bother me in 6076.  Happy to report we did not hear anything!

What about the thudding?  Did that not occur again?

On 2/12/2020 at 8:42 AM, cruisesport said:

Seems a sliding door is more ideal than a hinged door. But its my first time in a PV...so what do I know. What do others think?

I've sailed other lines with hinged balcony doors and there can be an issue with slamming noises if it is windy or people don't realize how heavy the door is.  Our last hinged balcony door would whistle during very windy times if it wasn't latched just right, I don't know if it would have been any better with a sliding door.

Doesnt a sliding door give you a better view ? Isnt a hinged door much narrower ?
I believe you get about the same amount of "window" area, because although the door is smaller than the slider, you have 2 windows - the door and a fixed window.
An argument could be made that the fixed window gives a better view from the sofa, because rooms with a slider have a wall next to the sofa. Somewhere in one of these threads, someone posted pix of the two window configurations.
Honestly, there's very little difference, and it's only a personal preference thing.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, cruisesport said:

Would prefer a large slider than a window. I have seen the window version. Not a fan. But we will probably

never again be in a PV, so will just enjoy it.

We agree - it depends on personal preference.   We personally enjoy the sliders.  We feel it gives us more visual space out the cabin and makes it feel larger.   When we book, we look at the map of sliders and try to pick one of those rooms.