Help! Cabin upgrade on Viking Sky and we sail in 2 days!

grandma239

We lived in a DV cabin for 120 days .....would do it again....we didn't need a lot....FREE laundry on the cruise.  We stored so much under the bed in suitcases and pulled out like a drawer...  I would do it again in an instant if I win the lottery!!!

I missed our grandchildren but the excitement of our daily adventures, time spent together as a couple, learning something NEW everyday,  the memorable sunsets and sunrise moments pulling into a new destination, and did I mention NO cleaning, shopping, cooking.....and glorious cocktails....   THANKS VIKING for wonderful memories!

• Like 5

Not sure if there was noise from above last night, because I was too busy being seasick! Seas were very rough, and I was extremely nauseous. First time in 5 cruises that has ever happened to me (others were on Celebrity and Princess - bigger ships), and I had taken Dramamine as a precaution when we boarded yesterday. This is a smaller ship than I’ve been on before, and a higher deck, and the rocking was awful. Spoke to people on the elevator today, and they all felt it. So, as far as Viking ships being very stable, it didn’t seem so last night. Today’s a little better, as sea conditions slowly improve, but as I sit here in the World Cafe on Deck 7 typing this, we are swaying quite a bit. The food is fantastic and so is the service, but just be forewarned.

Edited by grandma239

15 minutes ago, grandma239 said:

Not sure if there was noise from above last night, because I was too busy being seasick! Seas were very rough, and I was extremely nauseous. First time in 5 cruises that has ever happened to me (others were on Celebrity and Princess - bigger ships), and I had taken Dramamine as a precaution when we boarded yesterday. This is a smaller ship than I’ve been on before, and a higher deck, and the rocking was awful. Spoke to people on the elevator today, and they all felt it. So, as far as Viking ships being very stable, it didn’t seem so last night. Today’s a little better, as sea conditions slowly improve, but as I sit here in the World Cafe on Deck 7 typing this, we are swaying quite a bit. The food is fantastic and so is the service, but just be forewarned.

When I hear this I always wish it would happen on my cruise and I could offer to trade cabins. We book less expensive DV2 I think... 3000s. But I've never been sea sick and grew up racing sailboats. I actually like a little rocking! It puts me to sleep. So if you're on my cruise and in one of those fancy suites on the higher floors but can't take the rocking let me know! I'm happy to switch things up! 🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, grandma239 said:

Sorry to hear about the rough seas causing you to not feel well.  Hope it continues to improve.  Weren't you scheduled to stop in Key West today?  Was skipping that port due to the sea conditions?  It seemed that you left Miami pretty late last night - it was about 8 PM, I think.  Hope all is well.

Edited by PlanoTim

44 minutes ago, PlanoTim said:

Sorry to hear about the rough seas causing you to not feel well.  Hope it continues to improve.  Weren't you scheduled to stop in Key West today?  Was skipping that port due to the sea conditions?  It seemed that you left Miami pretty late last night - it was about 8 PM, I think.  Hope all is well.

Yes, Key West was skipped because the sea conditions were too rough for the required tenders.  Very disappointing.

21 minutes ago, grandma239 said:

Yes, Key West was skipped because the sea conditions were too rough for the required tenders.  Very disappointing.

Sorry to hear that.  I bet it was very disappointing.  I hope things settle down for the rest of your cruise and before we board in a couple of weeks.  On the last 2-week cruise it just finished, Viking Sea skipped Roatán and Cozumel.  I presume it was due to sea conditions.

Tim

Hope the seas have calmed down and you're no longer nauseous. Please let us know if there are any other changes to the itinerary. DH and I are on this cruise next month. Would be very disappointed if we missed some ports.

3 hours ago, jersey2 said:

Hope the seas have calmed down and you're no longer nauseous. Please let us know if there are any other changes to the itinerary. DH and I are on this cruise next month. Would be very disappointed if we missed some ports.

Rough seas again since at least early this am.  Big swells. Ship is swaying. This was definitely not expected!

8 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Grandma, what are the ports on your cruise?  I just did a Celebrity Caribbean cruise that was not so bad.  But we had a terrible ferry ride from Cozumel.

Key West, which was passed over due to bad conditions for tender operations; Belize City; Cozumel; and Merida (Yucatán Peninsula).

2 hours ago, jersey2 said:

Looks like you're skipping Merida. Any idea why? 2 missed ports on a 7 day cruise...not good.

Yes, Merida was skipped due to a technical issue” with the ship which prevented it from maintaining the speed needed to get from Merida to Miami in time for the scheduled disembarking. This is all we were told. So now we are scheduled to stop at Key West on the way back to Miami. 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, PlanoTim said:

Thanks for the update.  It's a bummer that you're missing another port.  At least you're getting a second try at Key West.

Yes, happy about Key West, but leery about whether we’ll actually make it there or pass on it again. We’ll see.

We were on the same cruise as grandma239, and the "technical issue" is a great mystery.  We did stop in Key West before going back to Miami, and we were docked (not on Mallory Square) and did not have to tender.  For us, the missed port of Merida was a major disappointment, and the lack of an explanation for the change of schedule leads to a lot of speculation - maybe they didn't really have enough fuel on board to make all of the ports if there were rough seas and strong winds. 

Looks like they skipped Key West today and are headed straight to Belize. There must be some mechanical issue that they can't seem to fix. I wish they would be honest with the passengers about what the problem is.

Edited by jersey2

Interesting commentary about the upgrades. We were just offered an upgrade from DV2 to PV1 for $899 each, plus the cost of added insurance. We turned it down. Our last trip we were in a PV2 and liked the extra space but the drawers in the closet took up half of the space for clothes and we didn't like the obstructed view to the balcony due to a wall between the windows. No slider, just a small door that kept slamming shut every time the wind blew and the curtain kept getting stuck in it. The champagne, beer, and booze was nice, however we were in Russia and Alaska so hot chocolate hit the spot too. For the extra $2,000 for the upgrade, we can buy a lot of champagne, beer, and booze. If however the upgrade was offered to us at no additional cost, we would have gone for it.

Edited by Insanityx4

On 1/19/2020 at 1:37 PM, Insanityx4 said:

Interesting commentary about the upgrades. We were just offered an upgrade from DV2 to PV1 for $899 each, plus the cost of added insurance. We turned it down. Our last trip we were in a PV2 and liked the extra space but the drawers in the closet took up half of the space for clothes and we didn't like the obstructed view to the balcony due to a wall between the windows. No slider, just a small door that kept slamming shut every time the wind blew and the curtain kept getting stuck in it. The champagne, beer, and booze was nice, however we were in Russia and Alaska so hot chocolate hit the spot too. For the extra $2,000 for the upgrade, we can buy a lot of champagne, beer, and booze. If however the upgrade was offered to us at no additional cost, we would have gone for it.

There are drawers in the closet in a PV2?  I thought they were the same as the PV1 except not as great a location.

We got an upgrade to PV1 from a DV1 on our first Viking Ocean for $200 each and we loved it.  We loved it so much we booked the same again for our next 2, but we were considering a PV2 or 3 for our next booking to save a bit.  But I thought the rooms were the same.

We did have the door - wall - window combination and had no problem with that. We could sit on the sofa and see out the window.

Yes, we were in room #5030 on the Orion and one half of the closet was full length and the other half was drawers half way up. There was enough space to hang shirts where the drawers were, but nothing full length and hardly any room for shoes. It was also a much smaller closet than the DV.

Edited by Insanityx4

1 hour ago, Not a Georgia Peach said:

We were in a PV3 on Viking Sky two weeks ago - there were no drawers in the closet.  Our cabin had a slider to the veranda.  We had previously had a DV cabin and would have a hard time going back to a DV after the PV.

What room were you in? It seems that the rooms differ depending on where they are located, and maybe even which deck or which ship.

1 hour ago, Not a Georgia Peach said:

We were in a PV3 on Viking Sky two weeks ago - there were no drawers in the closet.  Our cabin had a slider to the veranda.  We had previously had a DV cabin and would have a hard time going back to a DV after the PV.

There are two configurations for the PV cabin access to the balcony. Some cabins have sliders and others have a door.