Help! Cabin upgrade on Viking Sky and we sail in 2 days!

grandma239

Just got notified of an upgrade on Viking Sky from Deluxe Veranda 4055 to Penthouse Veranda 6076. Checked the deck plans and saw that 6076 is right below the World Cafe! I called Viking to say I wanted to keep my original cabin, but the rep said 6076 will hear no noise from above - completely soundproof. Can anyone on here advise me about that?  Also, will we potentially feel more motion in 6076 than 4055? 6076 is supposed to be bigger than 4055. Please help me decide what to do. Thanks!

PV cabins are really nice due to being about 30% bigger. Lots more storage space. Couldn't tell you about noise from above, as we were forward deck 5, but I really don't think you'd need to worry about excessive motion. Viking ships are quite stable.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

OMG. I'd take it in a hot minute. We've been in DVs and they are fine, but the closet is in the wrong place, and no place to move at the end of the bed. Our friends had the PV and wow, if I could afford it I'd be there in a second. Our next cruise(s) are in DVs and we will be happy, but if I had a PV I'd be ecstatic!! As far as being under the World Cafe, just bring earplugs. I do anyway. As for motion, we've always been aft in our DVs, a few cabins forward of the Explorer Suites (cheapest!!). No problem. We've spent a total of about 8 weeks on Ocean and love it!

• Like 1

OMG!  As others have said, the PVs are wonderful!  Do be aware that this upgrade could cost you big $$$$. We got an upgrade on our first Viking Ocean and have been booking the same cabin since 😝.  It’s so roomy and you have lots of storage.  Instead of a narrow space at the foot of the bed, there is a lovely credenza under the TV with drawers and shelves. 

We had 5101, so I can’t help with the noise, but I’d advise taking it and bringing earplugs.   The parts of the World Cafe over the cabins are carpeted, so I can’t see noise being a problem.  Go for it!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SantaFe1 said:

I think Cyber Kat means you will be booking PV cabins from now on, once you try one, and they are more expensive.  But your upgrade is indeed free. Enjoy!

Exactly!  We were upgraded from DV5 to PV1 on the cruise we just got off of.  I think I will be booking PV from now on.  

21 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

I think Cyber Kat means you will be booking PV cabins from now on, once you try one, and they are more expensive.  But your upgrade is indeed free. Enjoy!

Exactly!  We were so happy with the cabin, we keep booking that level - and so it’s costing us more for each cruise. Of course we don’t have to but we’re spoiled. We had a tiny veranda cabin On Azamara with a bathroom the size Of the closet on Viking and it was making me nuts!

Oh my gosh!  I just saw this message after reading one regarding Viking Jupiter.  Someone stayed in a cabin below The World Cafe and said it was awful--carts rolling around at 4 in the morning and after 10 pm.  Don't know if Viking Sky set up is the same as Jupiter, so I wish you luck.

Oh my gosh!  I just saw this message after reading one regarding Viking Jupiter.  Someone stayed in a cabin below The World Cafe and said it was awful--carts rolling around at 4 in the morning and after 10 pm.  Don't know if Viking Sky set up is the same as Jupiter, so I wish you luck.

All Viking ships are basically identical. I'd imagine noise is subjective. What one person considers 'awful' might not even be noticed by another. It's also possible that one specific cabin might be unfortunately located right below something on the deck above that causes extra noise. The World Cafe covers a whole bunch of cabins on Deck 6. Most will likely be just fine.

37 minutes ago, just_dont said:

All Viking ships are basically identical. I'd imagine noise is subjective. What one person considers 'awful' might not even be noticed by another. It's also possible that one specific cabin might be unfortunately located right below something on the deck above that causes extra noise. The World Cafe covers a whole bunch of cabins on Deck 6. Most will likely be just fine.

Doesn't sound like it's "just fine" for the poster.

I guess it's all about perspective. When we did our first VO cruise and stayed in a DV cabin, we had just come off a Tauck river cruise and the cabin was 150 square ft. The DV cabin seemed enormous. We were in 6048 and will be in that cabin again on Viking Jupiter in May. I like being high up for the great views and in the middle of the ship. I certainly wouldn't turn down a free upgrade but considering how little time we actually spend in the cabin it's not worth the extra cost for us. Never found space to be an issue but we do a two week cruise from a carry-on and small backpack. 

3 hours ago, grandma239 said:

Yep, we in our cabin right now, and I hear thudding above me. Hoping against hope this is not a regular thing.

We are staying in 6074 in a little over a week, please tell me the noise is not terrible.