Sailing out of Los Angeles?

CelK

We've always sailed out of Miami - considering something a little different for the next cruise.  I've been trying to find information on whether the "clientele" is different when sailing out of different ports.  Should I expect a similar number of teens on board as what we'd expect out of Miami?  (We have a teen son)  Looking at the Bliss maybe.  TIA for the input!

it really depends upon when you go and who is on break.

a sail from LA in march, for example, may get a spring break crowd from CA colleges - especially a mexican riviera itinerary.  

Any sail in summer or holiday weeks is going to have school age children.

Length of sail and itinerary as well.

we did Panama Canal from LA to Miami - very few children but that was what we expected given tiem fo year (school was in session) and the fact it was a 14 day sail.

Edited by BostonGal35

I didn't notice as many elderly people on the LA cruise compared to Florida and not as many people needing accomodations. i.e. very few scooters around. There were also a ton of Californians and in general, not as many people travelling from afar. I was one of the few from the east...everyone else seemed to be from California, Washington and British Columbia.

• Like 1

Lots of variables to consider - primary to me would be the ship - the Away and Plus ships will tend to draw a younger crowd over the Jewel class ships. Time of year also factors in - college breaks weeks, holidays, summer also tend to draw more families with and without teens. Length and itinerary also factor in. Longer cruises (over 7 days) tend to not attract families. 

16 hours ago, CelK said:

We've always sailed out of Miami - considering something a little different for the next cruise.  I've been trying to find information on whether the "clientele" is different when sailing out of different ports.  Should I expect a similar number of teens on board as what we'd expect out of Miami?  (We have a teen son)  Looking at the Bliss maybe.  TIA for the input!

Since you are a newbie (post count 10) here at CC make sure you get to the right cruise port in Los Angeles and not

that other one in Long Beach.

Way to know the Queen Mary is at that other cruise port - Port of Long Beach

The NCL ships commonly dock at the Port of Los Angeles at San Pedro -

you will berthed adjacent to the USS Battleship IOWA which makes for an interesting shore excursion time and

opportunity available.

Now about that client make up on board ships - really don't have any control over paying guests.

Generally Carnival is the Party Ship line - NCL has its share of party boats and then the semi-reserved

adult ships with senior flare. Spring Break tends to bring out the party revelers more than the shoulder

season repositioning cruises - think of kids in school - cruise season more quiet and reserved - so in the

summer of the year it is open season for the rug-rats to run amok and be blessed guests on board !  LOL !

Kids hard to define the age of that category !

On 1/10/2020 at 11:01 AM, CelK said:

Whatever month it is, the passenger demographics will be the same in Miami and LA.  During school, fewer kids. 

Edited by BirdTravels

I've sailed out of LA 2x, once on a Pacific Coastal and once on a Mexican Riviera, both on the Bliss.

On the Pacific Coastal there didn't seem to be a lot of people under 50, but there also didn't seem to be a lot of octogenarians, more of a 50-70 crowd.

On the Mexican Riviera - similar, but maybe a little younger average age.  Still not a lot of kids despite it being Halloween week.

The key is probably a combination of itinerary and time of year.  Both cruises were when most public schools were in session.