Carlo's Bakery from EWR hotel

ladysail2

3 hours ago, Nitemare said:

Point is obvious in that the traveler is going to Hoboken while being concerned about NYC, which is safer.

But you are making Newark out as a city too dangerous to stay at a hotel in, which it isn’t. Hoboken is hip and upscale, certainly a city I couldn’t afford to live. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

But you are making Newark out as a city too dangerous to stay at a hotel in, which it isn’t. Hoboken is hip and upscale, certainly a city I couldn’t afford to live. 

I wouldn't stay in Newark nor visit it outside of the airport. This is merely based on a good friend who works in the city who recently told me not to visit him at work due to the danger.

Hoboken may be cool, but I am not arguing that.  I am saying NYC is safer than Hoboken

59 minutes ago, Nitemare said:

I wouldn't stay in Newark nor visit it outside of the airport. This is merely based on a good friend who works in the city who recently told me not to visit him at work due to the danger.

Hoboken may be cool, but I am not arguing that.  I am saying NYC is safer than Hoboken

Well, my family will continue to enjoy activities Newark has to offer, Red Bull games, concerts at NJPAC and the Prudential Center, amazing Portuguese food, beautiful cherry blossoms in the spring... DH is an adjunct professor at Rutgers and will be walking there this evening as he has for the past 10+ years. You can’t live in fear.

• Like 1

As Mark Twain pointed out some years ago (mistakenly attributing this witticism to Benjamin Disraeli ), there are lies, damned lies, and statistics.

For someone visiting Hoboken for a few hours on a Sunday afternoon, the crime statistics are basically meaningless.  For one thing, the visitor doesn't own a home or a car in Hoboken, so burglary and auto theft rates are of absolutely no concern to her.  She's not going to get drunk and get into a Saturday midnight brawl, so that drastically cuts down her chances of assault. She's not going to join a gang or consort with drug dealers or get involved in a plot to murder someone, so that also greatly reduces her chances of becoming a victim of violence.  She's going to be strolling in daylight in the heart of town along with hundreds of other law-abiding people of all ages--parents with young children, singles walking their dogs, and seniors who are pretty much doing the same things she is doing.

Regardless of "statistics", the same principles apply just about anywhere, whether it's Hoboken, New York, Boston, Ottawa, Toronto, or Podunk.

For the record--not that it matters for the purposes of this discussion--my wife grew up in Hoboken back when it was a gritty, blue-collar working-class town, and lived there for the first 30+ years of her life.  Thereafter, she visited relatives in the town almost every weekend.  By sheer coincidence, she worked in one of the new office buildings near the waterfront for the last ten years or so before she retired.  I've been going into Hoboken regularly for more than 30 years and have seen an enormous transformation for the better during that time.  If we could afford a condo overlooking the Hudson River, we'd move there in a minute. 

(As for Newark: Yes, it has "issues", and there definitely are areas where I wouldn't go and wouldn't advise a visitor to go. But just like mjkacmom and her family, my wife and I often attend concerts at NJPAC.  We ride the Newark light rail and the PATH and NJ Transit trains.  We sometimes find ourselves spending time at Newark Penn Station or at Broad Street station, between trains.  On several occasions when I have had jury duty at the county courthouse in Newark, including just last year, I have walked there through the Rutgers campus from Broad Street Station.  I'm more comfortable in these environments than in the Port Authority Bus Terminal in Manhattan!)

Anyway, getting back to the original topic:  The OP has asked sensible questions and received sensible, practical travel information and advice. On that basis, she has made sensible and practical travel plans that suit her. Let's leave it at that.

Totally agree with 29 and 30.  I attempted (but failed) to make no points about Newark as that was not germane to the issue.  Was only trying to encourage the OP to check out NYC

Edited by Nitemare

On 1/22/2020 at 8:13 AM, Nitemare said:

When you say NYC you mean Manhattan.There are areas in Manhattan that are great and areas not safe to be in day or night.

Hoboken ,2020 is a very yuppified area for the most part.