Front hump vs. regular balcony in Alaska - WWYD?

Alsmez

We're sailing Solstice to Alaska this May in a standard A2 (room 1521, under the Persian Gardens). A front hump balcony (A1) is available for a fairly small fee ($160ish). On a Caribbean cruise I would jump on it for the extra space, but I'm not sure how much we will use the balcony in Alaska. I'm also concerned that since it is on the front hump, it will be extra windy. Thoughts? This is our first time in Alaska so I'd appreciate input from you seasoned Alaska travelers. Thanks!

I don't recall exactly where they are located on this ship, but on S class ships, the front hump cabins often have window washing equipment hanging right outside.  Even if it is in the cabin next to you it blocks your view.  For this reason, in Alaska I would pick a regular balcony.  On a warm cruise like the Caribbean where there is not as much scenery to view and I would spend a lot of time on my balcony, I might pick the hump balcony just for the extra room.  

• Like 1

Thanks phoenix. The window washing equipment is another concern - the cabin we are considering is next to the one that has the equipment but reviews/photos do indicate a slight obstruction when you are looking aft. Not a problem in the Caribbean but potentially a negative in Alaska, although I am wondering whether we'll use the balcony for scenic viewing at all given that it will be cold - I was thinking we might end up using the Sky Lounge or Relaxation Lounge to stay warm indoors!

39 minutes ago, RICCruisers said:

Best viewing for Alaska on the S Class is the deck outside of the Fitness Center. 

Great tip! I love that area on S-class for yoga and stretching anyway, so we'll be sure to take advantage.

Hm, just realized that the cabin in question is actually on the BACK side of the forward hump - perhaps a bit more tempting since the wind would be less of an issue. The window washing equipment is still a concern, though.

We usually get a good seat in the Sky Lounge to enjoy the scenery.   On your ship, they served pastries and warm beverages in the Sky Lounge as we headed toward viewing a glacier.  There is a naturalist speaking as well.   When  at the glacier, we went outside towards the front of the ship as it did a 360..  A magnificent trip.

Remember, you have to calculate the wind chill factor when on a hump cabin.

Even though we live in Alaska we periodically take Alaska cruises.  If folks opt for a one-way then I agree that the roundtrip out of Vancouver on the Eclipse is a stronger itinerary, but the cruise on the Solstice will be very enjoyable as well.  

The Solstice will have more time at sea as it sails in and out of Seattle, but when the ship is in the inside passage there will be land on both sides. In southeast Alaska May tends to be dryer than later in the summer.  So while folks can encounter rain in May rainy days are more frequent in late August into September.  The Solstice will also have heavy fleece throws (in bins on the pool deck) which come in handy.  I would book the hump balcony cabin.

One thing to keep in mind based on my 6 Alaska sailings so far is that it can be very hard to get good seats in the Sky Lounge.  People show up early, park there for hours, and save seats like they do on the pool deck in the Caribbean.  Sometimes people get on a ship and manners and consideration go out the window unfortunately.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lizinindy said:

Grab that hump! You’ll love the extra room....and we haven’t experienced very cold temps anytime we’ve been in Alaska (might have been lucky?)

We had a warm and sunny Alaska cruise in May last year and we were able to be on the balcony and on the top deck outside for all the glacier experiences. Great to be on the balcony first thing to check out the scenery with a warm robe on.

1 hour ago, Northern Aurora said:

The Solstice will have more ti.e at sea as it sails in and out of Seattle

We are actually on the 8-day itinerary that sails out of Vancouver and back to Seattle. We also have the added bonus of having access to rooms on both sides of the ship; we're port and my parents will be starboard in the same section, so we can always pop over to their room if there is something interesting to see on the opposite side.

I am leaning toward grabbing the hump at this point, but DH is concerned about the obstruction from the window washing equipment. Having to look at "ugly" things is one of his cruise pet peeves - on our last cruise, there was a big water tank right outside our room and even though it didn't really affect our view, I never heard the end of it! 😝

Edited by Alsmez

1 hour ago, Alsmez said:

Hm, just realized that the cabin in question is actually on the BACK side of the forward hump - perhaps a bit more tempting since the wind would be less of an issue. The window washing equipment is still a concern, though.

I'd grab that!  We used our balcony all the time in Alaska (I've been 4 times).  It's not going to be as cold as you think.  Can't think how the window washing equipment could obstruct both the front and back of the hump.  It's one or the other.  You can be under cover if it's raining and still be outside.  I always book 1As on S class unless I'm in a suite.

15 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Can't think how the window washing equipment could obstruct both the front and back

It looks as though the window washing equipment stays in front of the next cabin aft, so it would only obstruct us when looking aft. Not a big deal for me at all, but DH is another story. We'll see if I can convince him the extra space outweighs the obstruction. Maybe I'll try to find some photos from that cabin so he can see just how obstructed it would actually be.

2 hours ago, Alsmez said:

It looks as though the window washing equipment stays in front of the next cabin aft, so it would only obstruct us when looking aft. Not a big deal for me at all, but DH is another story. We'll see if I can convince him the extra space outweighs the obstruction. Maybe I'll try to find some photos from that cabin so he can see just how obstructed it would actually be.

You mentioned it as an obstruction on the front-facing slant cabin.  Can't see how it could be an obstruction there as well as an obstruction on the aft-facing slant cabin.  I've never been in a 1A with window-washing equipment anywhere in the vicinity.  That's my go to cabin on S class ships.

25 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

You mentioned it as an obstruction on the front-facing slant cabin

Yes, that was my mistake - I realized after my original post that the cabin in question is not on the front of the hump; rather it is on the angle near the forward elevators. I emailed my TA to try to grab it so we'll see what happens! 

21 hours ago, Alsmez said:

We're sailing Solstice to Alaska this May in a standard A2 (room 1521, under the Persian Gardens). A front hump balcony (A1) is available for a fairly small fee ($160ish). On a Caribbean cruise I would jump on it for the extra space, but I'm not sure how much we will use the balcony in Alaska. I'm also concerned that since it is on the front hump, it will be extra windy. Thoughts? This is our first time in Alaska so I'd appreciate input from you seasoned Alaska travelers. Thanks!

The best balcony for Alaska, which is cold in May would be an aft-balcony.   We did an aft balcony on the NCL Sun (wanted to see Glacier Bay) and it was great.   On an aft, you don't have the cold wind blowing on you.

1 hour ago, 4774Papa said:

best balcony for Alaska...aft balcony

Yes, we considered those as well, but unfortunately there are only a handful in Aqua Class (which was a must for us on this trip), and they were all booked when we booked and haven't come available since. Highly coveted I'm sure! 

So we got our hump cabin! Oddly enough, the price ended up being $5 less than the A2 (and we kept all perks/OBC), so it was truly a steal. Not sure why the price was lower since X's site lists it higher, but my TA insists that it is correct - perhaps they are giving us a group rate or something. Funnily enough, there are quite a few A1s still available on this sailing but no A2s - perhaps people are catching on to the fact that under the pool deck is not a fun place to be?