Cystal vs. Oceania

docmark

Our first Crystal Ocean cruise was 1/5/20 on Symphony for 8 days. Prior to that our last 2 Ocean cruises were on Marina , last one November 2019 for 12 days(our only experience with Oceania).

First of all I like to state that we enjoyed both lines and would not have any problems cruising on either with desirable itinerary.

One area  that I feel there is NO contest is quality/ quantity of entertainment : Crystal wins "hands down" 

Food :  

Breakfast  : Service slow at GDR ,  excellent Croissant and lamb chops GDR.  Very prompt and attentive service at Waterside

Lunch : GDR closed EVERY Port day, Waterside closed only ONE port day.  "Buffet" lunches were very good at both ships. small advantage to Marketplace on  Symphony.

Dinner:

--Only one dinner at GDR, poor experience, there were 6 of us ,"lead" waiter 's English very poor, we had difficulty understanding him and he apparently didn't understand us well: one wrong entre and one wrong desert. Quality/taste of food also mediocre. Waterside BTO night  dinner was excellent , had dinner there one other night,  service was great, food was "just OK".      ------       Waterside  "wins" over GDR

--"Buffet dinner"  No buffet service at Symphony,  which I feel it is  a definite shortcoming (further comments later) . Very good experience at Terrace  dinners. The Grill station excellent with choices for meat, shrimp, fish, and Lobster. Definite advantage to Marina

---Specialty restaurants :  Overall excellent food BOTH ships. Service also great on all restaurants. The one advantage on Marina was ease of reservations: there were 12 of us travelling together in November 2019, and our butler made multiple reservations, at the exact requested time,  in Jacques, Red Ginger and Toscana. We ate only once at Polo. On the other hand we had significant difficulty securing "additional" reservations at Umi Uma and Prego.( We ate dinner once at Silk at the requested time and we enjoyed it ). It is possible that One factor for the difficulty was the length of the cruise (8 days)

---Other venues:  Waves and Trident comparable. Barista and Bistro somewhat similar, but Bistro provides service till 11:00 pm, while Barista closes at 6 pm.  

--SPACE/LOUNGES : Definite advantage Symphony. 

We were very impressed with overall level of good service at both ships, but give slight edge to Symphony.

I feel converting Marketplace to "Brazilian" food at night is a mistake. We did not eat there , but "made rounds" there 3 evenings, and even though capacity is reduced, only one night the place was more than 1/2 full. Also in conversation with 2 couples who had eaten there , we were told they were disappointed .Also my impression /memory of comments on Cruise critic leads me to believe more people have same opinion.

We will probably be cruising primarily on Crystal in future ( while hoping specialty reservation issue improves on our next cruise on Symphony in August, which is 13 days long) . My wife and I are both red wine drinkers and the "inclusive" factor is definitely a positive influence. Also the very excellent level of entertainment is a huge factor for us. However I can easily understand people who don't indulge in alcoholic drinks, and are not much interested in entertainment, to prefer Oceania .One thing I will miss, like Bitob  is the spacious suites on Marina!!  

(I will be glad to address any areas I did not cover with detail) 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, docmark said:

(I will be glad to address any areas I did not cover with detail) 

If you scroll down just a tiny bit you'll see a post on this subject that has 150+ replies. You may want to copy and paste there and perhaps asks the mods to lock or delete.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, clo said:

If you scroll down just a tiny bit you'll see a post on this subject that has 150+ replies. You may want to copy and paste there and perhaps asks the mods to lock or delete.

No, Thank you

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

docmark,

Thank you for your comprehensive review.

What cabin were you in on the Symphony and how did the per diem costs compare (in comparable cabins)?

TIA

Yes - s/he left out the crucial comparative element of "net daily cost" for similar cabin/itinerary/and inclusions/options to make an "apples to apples" comparison.

2 hours ago, Paulchili said:

docmark,

Thank you for your comprehensive review.

What cabin were you in on the Symphony and how did the per diem costs compare (in comparable cabins)?

TIA

Thanks Paul, the reason I didn't do comparative cost is that we were in Oceania Suite both times on Marina , and in PH on Crystal, much smaller, but plenty of storage  space including a walk in closet. We were comfortable there except my wife didn't like TV location(side of bed instead of directly in front). I will look into requested calculations after I retrieve the last Marina cruise cost. Also will have to factor in liquor cost when we do a comparison (My wife was not without a glass of red wine in her hand at any time !!)

---Another side note on Raspberries, since I know you are partial to them: I am also very fond of Raspberries and a little less of Blackberries. So every morning at breakfast I would ask for a bowl of them , and they served it promptly .They were very fresh .

I also agree with you on Croissant "superior quality" on Marina 

11 minutes ago, docmark said:

Thanks Paul, the reason I didn't do comparative cost is that we were in Oceania Suite both times on Marina , and in PH on Crystal, much smaller, but plenty of storage  space including a walk in closet. We were comfortable there except my wife didn't like TV location(side of bed instead of directly in front). I will look into requested calculations after I retrieve the last Marina cruise cost. Also will have to factor in liquor cost when we do a comparison (My wife was not without a glass of red wine in her hand at any time !!)

---Another side note on Raspberries, since I know you are partial to them: I am also very fond of Raspberries and a little less of Blackberries. So every morning at breakfast I would ask for a bowl of them , and they served it promptly .They were very fresh .

I also agree with you on Croissant "superior quality" on Marina 

Thank you.

I am making a wild guess here - the cost of OC on Marina would be comparable (or possibly even less?) to PH on Crystal (if one doesn’t drink).

Re; raspberries - now that I know this I would ask for them but pity those that do not see them in the buffet and don’t know to ask for them 😊

Edited by Paulchili

2 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Thank you.

I am making a wild guess here - the cost of OC on Marina would be comparable (or possibly even less?) to PH on Crystal (if one doesn’t drink).

I will be surprised if you are right, but I will do my best to calculate the numbers and report by tomorrow 

4 minutes ago, docmark said:

I will be surprised if you are right, but I will do my best to calculate the numbers and report by tomorrow 

It’s very easy math - you know how much you paid/pp for Marina  and for the Crystal.

Divide each by the number of days of the cruise and you’ve got the pre diem/pp 😊

13 hours ago, Paulchili said:

It’s very easy math - you know how much you paid/pp for Marina  and for the Crystal.

Divide each by the number of days of the cruise and you’ve got the pre diem/pp 😊

Hi Paul

Here is the comparison: Oceania per diem came out to $1312 per diem for 2 of us, and Crystal per diem was $1045  per diem for 2

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, docmark said:

Hi Paul

Here is the comparison: Oceania per diem came out to $1312 per diem for 2 of us, and Crystal per diem was $1045  per diem for 2

While I REALLY DO appreciate your going out of your way to do the math, an accurate comparison would need to be for the same class of cabin (regardless of any perceived qualitative difference).

The cost difference between an OC and PH on Marina is approx $700/per cabin per night. Thus, for your 8 day cruise comparison using a Marina PH, the theoretical cost in a PH on Marina would be >$300 per cabin per night LESS than Crystal (thus, about $2500 more for the 8 days on Crystal).

BTW, my quick calculation assumes that you've figured in the value of inclusions vs options like air fare/air credit (one of the best values in Oceania pricing).

Nothing personal (particularly since your experience comparison will help some folks make a cruise decision), but "Crystal cheaper that Oceania?" 

In an accurate side-by-side comparison, all this exercise shows is that "you get what you pay for."

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

28 minutes ago, docmark said:

Hi Paul

Thanks docmark.

I guess you had a better deal on Crystal than I had.

We paid $495/pp per diem for a tiny B1 vs your $522/pp per diem for a PH.

I suppose it also depends on the itinerary as we are paying a little less for the same B1 on a trans-Pacific cruise with MANY sea days.

Also, as FF said, it is more indicative of the cost when one compares same categories on each line.

Of course the comparison is between 2 cabins of completely different size, OC >2.5 times bigger than PH 

Paul, as you noted, itinerary definitely affects the cost,  our cruise had only one sea day, but I believe since it was "off season" for a west coast cruise, price was more attractive 

Not to move the thread in a different direction but, 

As small yacht sailors, we have always been intrigued by the desire of many folks for cruiseship cabins that pretty much duplicate the square footage of a master bedroom suite at home. Compared to a double cabin on a 60 foot monohull or cat, an A or B veranda on Oceania is a "mansion."

While I know that it's "different strokes for different folks," I just can't see spending $ hundreds more/person/night for a room in which (on many itineraries) I would spend very little time.

If you don't mind my asking: Other than the possibility of plenty of disposable income, what makes the large cabin, butler, etc. attractive enough to warrant a cabin cost difference  equal to an entire second cruise?

• Like 1

"if you don't mind my asking: Other than the possibility of plenty of disposable income, what makes the large cabin, butler, etc. attractive enough to warrant a cabin cost difference  equal to an entire second cruise?"

First of all  I don't consider myself being in the category of "plenty of disposable income" !!

From start of cruising many years ago, I did not feel comfortable in "small" cabins, and as we started cruising more, I tried to secure bigger cabins ,500-1000+ sq. . However, in past 2 years, we have been cruising much  more frequently and planning to continue that way, so last trip on Marina, which was planned a year before, was the last "big cabin" I plan to take (my wife leaves all the travelling arrangement to me !!),  in order to afford more cruises.

Very likely almost all our future cruises will be on cabins of PH size .I still will be inclined not to go any smaller, for example, I have looked at veranda cabins (Oceania) and  the bathrooms were absolutely too tight for me !!.  

16 minutes ago, docmark said:

"if you don't mind my asking: Other than the possibility of plenty of disposable income, what makes the large cabin, butler, etc. attractive enough to warrant a cabin cost difference  equal to an entire second cruise?"

First of all  I don't consider myself being in the category of "plenty of disposable income" !!

From start of cruising many years ago, I did not feel comfortable in "small" cabins, and as we started cruising more, I tried to secure bigger cabins ,500-1000+ sq. . However, in past 2 years, we have been cruising much  more frequently and planning to continue that way, so last trip on Marina, which was planned a year before, was the last "big cabin" I plan to take (my wife leaves all the travelling arrangement to me !!),  in order to afford more cruises.

Very likely almost all our future cruises will be on cabins of PH size .I still will be inclined not to go any smaller, for example, I have looked at veranda cabins (Oceania) and  the bathrooms were absolutely too tight for me !!.  

Yes, I can see the "heads" in As and Bs taking some "getting used to."

The new doors (vs  shower curtains) in the NEXT remodels of the R ships are a terrific improvement. But, for anyone of larger girth, that's one tight fit!

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

If you don't mind my asking: Other than the possibility of plenty of disposable income, what makes the large cabin, butler, etc. attractive enough to warrant a cabin cost difference  equal to an entire second cruise?

We don't have plenty of disposable income but my DH and I have decided that we will only be in a PH from now on. We don't cruise frequently but when we do, we appreciate the larger space that a PH offers.  It's our splurge. There's a noticeable difference between 216 sq ft and 322 sq ft.!  The last time we were in a veranda stateroom it was so cramped that only one person could pass along the foot of the bed, not to mention the extremely small bathroom. We swore we wouldn't do it again and we're not.   It's not about the butler for us.  It's all about the extra space. 

45 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Yes, I can see the "heads" in As and Bs taking some "getting used to."

The new doors (vs  shower curtains) in the NEXT remodels of the R ships are a terrific improvement. But, for anyone of larger girth, that's one tight fit!

Considering Oceania as first cruise.

Re:  one of  Larger girth?     Are the bathrooms really that tight?  Too small that one can not sit comfortably on the loo?

Thanks.

Edited by Justalone

19 minutes ago, Justalone said:

Considering Oceania as first cruise.

Re:  one of  Larger girth?     Are the bathrooms really that tight?  Too small that one can not sit comfortably on the loo?

Thanks.

Here's a pic of the A and B veranda heads on Riviera and Marina where someone can opt for the tub shower vs the stall shower. However, the R ships A and B veranda cabins do not have the tub and the remaining floor area as well as the shower stall itself is somewhat more compact. 

In either case, it is the shower stall that can be a size challenge. The space works just fine for us (again, we're sailors used to yacht heads). But (and pardon my lack of delicacy), if someone is "obese," showering in those R ship veranda heads will not be a carefree experience.

IMG_0826.JPG

41 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Here's a pic of the A and B veranda heads on Riviera and Marina where someone can opt for the tub shower vs the stall shower. However, the R ships A and B veranda cabins do not have the tub and the remaining floor area as well as the shower stall itself is somewhat more compact. 

In either case, it is the shower stall that can be a size challenge. The space works just fine for us (again, we're sailors used to yacht heads). But (and pardon my lack of delicacy), if someone is "obese," showering in those R ship veranda heads will not be a carefree experience.

IMG_0826.JPG

Thank you for posting the pic.

Yikes, that is a small shower stall!  
Would you say that some folks as large as you characterized would have a difficult time turning around in the shower stall?  Maybe leave the glass door open?

And the location of the toilet?  I would feel sorry for those who are excessively corpulent.  How would one sit comfortably on it after having a fine meal?  I guess one can squeeze their legs together when  one feels the urge to go.  Looks like the tiny space one finds in an airline toilet.

To pay all that money to get a premium category stateroom, and to not have a decent sizes bathroom seems so wrong to me.

Doe any have a photo of the bathrooms on Crystal for comparison?

Edited by Justalone

24 minutes ago, Justalone said:

Thank you for posting the pic.

Yikes, that is a small shower stall!  
Would you say that some folks as large as you characterized would have a difficult time turning around in the shower stall?  Maybe leave the glass door open?

And the location of the toilet?  I would feel sorry for those who are excessively corpulent.  How would one sit comfortably on it after having a fine meal?  I guess one can squeeze their legs together when  one feels the urge to go.  Looks like the tiny space one finds in an airline toilet.

To pay all that money to get a premium category stateroom, and to not have a decent sizes bathroom seems so wrong to me.

Doe any have a photo of the bathrooms on Crystal for comparison?

Yes- someone rather large would have a problem freely moving in the shower (moreso on the R ship A & B than on the O ships). But, like the toilet (which is a fairly standard-sized marine fixture), it will be fine for MOST people.