KING OR TWIN

DSimpson14

We've always had the beds together but it does make it interesting for the inside person to get into bed. You could always start with them one way and then once you've seen it in person you could ask the steward to make them up the other way.

If it were me, I'd probably do what Earthworm Jim suggested. Let one of them have the other twin and only utilize one Pullman. Put one teen above the other. They could even switch out if they wanted to be fair about it.

When it's configured as a King, the Pullman won't be directly above the King, but will be above part of it and completely cover the walking space beside the King. So if you use the King, both Pullmans will be above either side of it, which sometimes results in bumped heads. If you let one of them use a twin and only use one Pullman, the other twin will be in the clear. You also might like that additional space between the two twins.

We've done this multiple times and, only once, with the King and two pullmans.  That plan makes for difficult foot traffic within the room.

We much prefer the four single beds (akin to two sets of bunks).  This leaves the most space for moving around, getting ready, storing/accessing suitcases under beds, use of nightstand storage, etc.  Just requested it earlier this month and it worked great again (once the cabins steward re-made the room as we had requested on our booking)!

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

In an Inside, the 'double bunks' arrangement is best.  I recall ours being in an L shaped arrangement and it worked fine.  Our kids were probably 14 and 12 at the time.  They took the two Pullmans while my wife and I were in the 2 lowers.

For a Balc or an OV, a King for mom and dad is perfectly fine as the kids end up on the lower sofa conversion and the upper Pullman.  With 4 to a room, a Balc is a very nice option as it gives an awake person a quiet place to go in the morning without disturbing sleeping teens.  We did that once before getting 2 rooms on our next cruise across the hall from each other.  They were 17 and 15 by then and liked the independence not minding an Inside at all.  Plus the extra bathroom comes in very handy.

Just thinking since I have not been on a cruise and we have this situation with just 1 teenager. I do not want her climbing on me in the middle of the night to get in her bed or plopping down on me. We will have them split. That way if she rolls out of bed we can get a laugh with her on the floor (sarcasm people that got upset).

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

Just thinking since I have not been on a cruise and we have this situation with just 1 teenager. I do not want her climbing on me in the middle of the night to get in her bed or plopping down on me. We will have them split. That way if she rolls out of bed we can get a laugh with her on the floor (sarcasm people that got upset).

When the twin beds are in a king configuration, the steward will set up the ladder at the foot of the Pullman. Like this...

26231_384769086036_717096036_3695643_388

Got the image from Google. Ignore the strange kid, not mine. 😁 Otherwise, I think they often put it on the side.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

When the twin beds are in a king configuration, the steward will set up the ladder at the foot of the Pullman. Like this...

26231_384769086036_717096036_3695643_388

Got the image from Google. Ignore the strange kid, not mine. 😁 Otherwise, I think they often put it on the side.

When we had the kids with us and hence booked cabins with the Pullman the ladder was on the side, but then we had the beds set up in a twin configuration. When we sail on Legend next February with our grand daughter I think we'll have a couch that turns into a bed but I'm not 100% sure about that.

1 hour ago, stellarose said:

when we did an interior interior on the pride. we should have asked for two twin beds. the "king" underneath the two pullmans was tight.

for the MG the teens will get two twins and the adults one king. - ah connecting rooms again. 

I'm sure the steward would have been glad to change the configuration for you (just mentioning it in case someone is in the same situation down the road).

2 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

When we had the kids with us and hence booked cabins with the Pullman the ladder was on the side, but then we had the beds set up in a twin configuration. When we sail on Legend next February with our grand daughter I think we'll have a couch that turns into a bed but I'm not 100% sure about that.

A bit more sure now. 🙂

878841408976039.webp

9 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

Thanks!!! Mine would still plop down on top of me because she could. 

There's a guard rail up there, you can tie her down. Just be sure to make it tight enough or she'll bungee jump.

But yeah, you'd probably be more comfortable with separate twins. We call that the Leave It to Beaver configuration (Ward & June, not the boys). LOL

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

A bit more sure now. 🙂

878841408976039.webp

Thanks for the pic. I wondered what this would look like. A great idea but I travel with a friend and I would feel funny with one persons feet so close to the others head. Weird I know!

16 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

When the twin beds are in a king configuration, the steward will set up the ladder at the foot of the Pullman. 

I can't say how many times I stubbed my toe, foot or anything on those ladders. 😆

So much so, that we now throw the ladders under the bed (or tell the steward to just take them) and let the kids trampoline themselves to the uppers.

1 hour ago, Laurab23 said:

Thanks for the pic. I wondered what this would look like. A great idea but I travel with a friend and I would feel funny with one persons feet so close to the others head. Weird I know!

Understandable for sure, but the steward could make up the couch so the feet go the other way. (And for our sailing with our step-granddaughter her feet will end about where the magazines on the table do.)