Single mom & 2 boys adventure, questions about NJ

beccaewert

First off, thank you for taking the time to read this and any advice (good or bad, lol) will be appreciated 

We are flying into Newark around 9am on Saturday March 21st for our cruise on Anthem Sunday March 22nd

It will be me and my two boys 13 & 10

I'd like to stay at a hotel somewhat close to the port for easy travel the next morning--BUT I want to feel safe too. I've never been on the East coast before... I'm a smalltown mid-west gal. I was wondering if there were any suggestions for some fun shenanigans for Saturday with my 2 boys as well as hotel recommendations.

Also do you find that a hotel shuttle or Uber/Lift is easier for drop off?

Thanks for again for any and all responses.... it's greatly appreciated!

Edited by beccaewert

6 minutes ago, beccaewert said:

I'd like to stay at a hotel somewhat close to the port for easy travel the next morning--BUT I want to feel safe too. I've never been on the East coast before... I'm a smalltown mid-west gal. I was wondering if there were any suggestions for some fun shenanigans for Saturday with my 2 boys as well as hotel recommendations.

It really depends on how much or little you want to see in NJ or NYC in terms of sightseeing as well as how comfortable you are in an urban environment-- even places outside of New York City like Jersey City, Hoboken, etc still very much have a city feel.

There are plenty of recommendations on this board of places to stay that are in the immediate vicinity of the port. As an alternative, if you were looking to stay somewhere that was much more suburban and away from the city vibe, a place like the Hilton Short Hills would be a good alternative. Its in a fairly wealthy area a bit west of Newark Airport (about 20 minute taxi or Uber) and has access to the very upscale Short Hills Mall along with nice dining options close by. It also has indoor and outdoor pools if that was something your boys would enjoy. 

11 minutes ago, beccaewert said:

Also do you find that a hotel shuttle or Uber/Lift is easier for drop off?

There are a few hotels that offer shuttles to the port but overall Uber/Lyft are very convenient, easy, and inexpensive. 

With kids that age, this just opened up 

https://www.americandream.com/?gclid=CjwKCAiA35rxBRAWEiwADqB37_-Iq9ww04lfcygabSfVoMt9DUpuBDdJDhvcPFoVeD6ZyLZvjbEIUhoCSvMQAvD_BwE

My kids loved the indoor skiing, and friend really liked the indoor waterpark. You could also get a hotel room in Jersey City with close access to the PATH and head over to Manhattan. Uber/Lyft has a big presence in this area. The ferry to the Statue of Liberty/Ellis island also leaves from liberty state park in Jersey City.

Hotel recommendations are going to depend on what you want to do and your hotel budget.  Planning to go to American Dream may be a completely different strategy from planning to go into NYC.  Rates are reasonable in Jersey City that weekend.  Can you do two double beds?  Do you have AAA?

7 hours ago, beccaewert said:

We are flying into Newark around 9am on Saturday March 21st for our cruise on Anthem Sunday March 22nd

It will be me and my two boys 13 & 10

Newark is a city at night that you need to be aware of your surroundings. You likely would feel comfortable in a different city. Hotels with shuttles will be in the Newark and Elizabeth area. Jersey City hotels will allow for spectacular views of lower NYC Skyline, while still being close to the cruise port and quick transit to NYC should you go there.

In Jersey City is the Liberty Science Center that your kids might enjoy. The American Dream mall is near the sports complex in East Rutherford, no stores open as yet only entertainment activities.

I'm stuck with Hamilton quotes on the brain tonight ("Everything's legal in Jersey"), and your comfort level is a big thing here. 

You can find hotels that will give you easy access to Manhattan. Lower Manhattan, including Battery Park and the 9/11 Memorial area are easily reachable from New Jersey. Slightly more adventurous but would probably be fun for the boys is to get to Chelsea/Meatpacking District and walk the Highline from South to North, +/- a trip to the Chelsea Market (especially if Mom needs some adult beverages...). That gets you into Midtown Manhattan, not far from Times Square.

I've only done minimal logistics (New Jersey Transit) but discovered that in about a half hour you from Midtown can do something that thousands of Hamilton fans (including me, but I need to rectify that) have NOT done, and actually go to the Weehawken Dueling Grounds where the Hamilton-Burr Duel occurred. That kind of depends on where you spend the night obviously. The Port Authority Bus Terminal is close to Times Square, and you could treat them to New York Pizza at John's, and a touch of fascinating American history, and hopefully wear them out completely...

That, by the way, is semi tongue in cheek. As meadowlander says, there are a lot of options and a lot of it depends on where you want to spend the night. FWIW, I was born and raised in a small town in southeastern Oklahoma with a population of (allegedly) 512; my two favorite places on earth are Midtown Manhattan and Mayfair/Piccadilly in London. You'll be fine. 

There are dozens, if not hundreds of options, and most of them will be minimally taxing. People in New York and New Jersey generally love their neighborhoods. They're in a hurry, but they're not heartless and they can be incredibly helpful. If you're looking for a 1 Train Uptown, someone will help. If you're trying to find Jersey Transit rather than Amtrak, someone will help you. That gruff in a hurry exterior masks some of the nicest people I've met...

I would encourage you to get outside your comfort zone and spend the day in NYC with your boys!   The 9/11 memorial and museum should be on everyone's bucket list at some point.  A Circle Line boat tour around lower Manhattan to see the Statue of Liberty, or the actual ferry over to Liberty and Ellis Island.  If your boys like history, the Ellis Island Museum is fascinating....the headphone guided tour takes you through as though you are an arriving immigrant going through the entire arrival process.  There are observation decks at the top of both the Empire State Building and Rockefeller Plaza, walk through Central Park, or visit the Museum of Natural History.  When I took my boys to NYC for their first time 2 years ago (they were 24, 19 and 14 at the time) they insisted on a stop at the official NBA store on 5th Ave, so if your boys are basketball fans keep that in mind.  The Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum was also a favorite stop of theirs, and of course.  They also were eager to have real New York pizza and to get food from a street vendor.   You can't do all of these things in a day (probably 2 or 3 at most) but please consider it!  Even just walking the streets of New York was an experience for my southern boys!

9 hours ago, markeb said:

I'm stuck with Hamilton quotes on the brain tonight ("Everything's legal in Jersey"), and your comfort level is a big thing here. 

You can find hotels that will give you easy access to Manhattan. Lower Manhattan, including Battery Park and the 9/11 Memorial area are easily reachable from New Jersey. Slightly more adventurous but would probably be fun for the boys is to get to Chelsea/Meatpacking District and walk the Highline from South to North, +/- a trip to the Chelsea Market (especially if Mom needs some adult beverages...). That gets you into Midtown Manhattan, not far from Times Square.

I've only done minimal logistics (New Jersey Transit) but discovered that in about a half hour you from Midtown can do something that thousands of Hamilton fans (including me, but I need to rectify that) have NOT done, and actually go to the Weehawken Dueling Grounds where the Hamilton-Burr Duel occurred. That kind of depends on where you spend the night obviously. The Port Authority Bus Terminal is close to Times Square, and you could treat them to New York Pizza at John's, and a touch of fascinating American history, and hopefully wear them out completely...

That, by the way, is semi tongue in cheek. As meadowlander says, there are a lot of options and a lot of it depends on where you want to spend the night. FWIW, I was born and raised in a small town in southeastern Oklahoma with a population of (allegedly) 512; my two favorite places on earth are Midtown Manhattan and Mayfair/Piccadilly in London. You'll be fine. 

There are dozens, if not hundreds of options, and most of them will be minimally taxing. People in New York and New Jersey generally love their neighborhoods. They're in a hurry, but they're not heartless and they can be incredibly helpful. If you're looking for a 1 Train Uptown, someone will help. If you're trying to find Jersey Transit rather than Amtrak, someone will help you. That gruff in a hurry exterior masks some of the nicest people I've met...

Too funny, my son actually went to that site in weehawken yesterday to run the stairs, I didn’t know about it (and my other son’s club soccer team’s home field is in weehawken). I agree there is so much to do in Manhattan, to add on to the High Line and Chelsea Market (my daughters always stop there for tacos), the Vessel and Hudson Yards are close to the northern end. Another popular spot for food my kids love is Black Tap for giant milkshakes (2 locations). 

You never know what will interest a child in NYC.  One granddaughter wanted to go to American Girl and the other wanted to get weird ice cream from a place on the lower east side.  We indulged those requests (actually had a car in the city one of the 2 days), but we also took them on their first train ride, explored Grand Central, Museum of Natural History, Battery Park for views of the SOL, and Times Square plus managing to squeeze in an extended family lunch.  It was exhausting.